I keep scratching my head over the Kevan Smith DFA

Rankin

On 3/9/2019 at 8:36 AM, Balta1701 said:

I'm more concerned over how "They don't know what they are doing and are literally flying by the seat of their pants" seems such an apt description of their behavior. People insist they can't be this bad based on some notion of these guys being professionals, and then we watch how an offseason like this one went down.

This move wasted $2.5 million. In the scheme of things it isn't the biggest loss, but in the context of them crying for payroll flexibility in 2027, it leaves one feeling like turning over a table and yelling at them that they need to listen to their own words. That seems like not having a plan, that seems like flying by the seat of their pants. Waste $2.5 million here, $5 million on Nova, a couple million on each of the relievers, and then scream about payroll flexibility when the target you should be going after slips through your fingers.

I suppose I should ask again how the off season should ve gone down ? Yes we can all say NOW that Alonso and Jay were unnecessary. You wanted to resign Shields then perhaps over Nova ? Maybe you wanted just kids in the bullpen. Again show me your posts at the beginning of the off season saying how it should go . Hell show me posts where you said signing relievers was a bad idea or even your posts where you thought signing Jay and Alonso was a bad idea regardless of it's impact on Manny, That one should be easy. I know many here thought it was stupid from the beginning but many gave it a chance to work saying it would only be stupid if Machado didn't sign with the Sox.

Find  your old posts and prove to me that this crying you're doing is nothing but revisionist history as a result of the Manny Debacle. Otherwise all you re whining about is a measly $2.5M and with the exception of Herrera and slim chance for Alonso  the rest will be gone after 1 year. Even Herrera might be gone at the trade deadline given the Sox recent history. Maybe the Sox should also stop trying to get productive young pieces too since sign then trade seems to be the only way now to add more young pieces. It's so easy to still complain about the off season when no one takes into consideration that our young BP arms probably shouldn't be just thrown out there in high pressure situations and be told to sink or swim. Of course if that happened I know I could count on you to say they are being rushed.So Sox become damned if they do and damned if they don't.

On a side note I have never seen Avi get as much love as he does now in the wake of Jay still being here. Either all those posts saying AVi would be better than Jay ( and I agree) are the result of closet AVi fans coming out of the woodwork for the 1st time or it's more altering history because the past didn't work out.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I suppose I should ask again how the off season should ve gone down ? Yes we can all say NOW that Alonso and Jay were unnecessary. You wanted to resign Shields then perhaps r: Nova ? Maybe you wanted just kids in the bullpen. Again show me your posts at the beginning of the off season saying how it should go . Hell show me posts where you said signing relievers was a bad idea or even your posts where you thought signing Jay and Alonso was a bad idea regardless of it's impact on Manny, That one should be easy. I know many here thought it was stupid from the beginning but many gave it a chance to work saying it would only be stupid if Machado didn't sign with the Sox.

Find  your old posts and prove to me that this crying you're doing is nothing but revisionist history as a result of the Manny Debacle. Otherwise all you re whining about is a measly $2.5M and with the exception of Herrera and slim chance for Alonso  the rest will be gone after 1 year. Even Herrera might be gone at the trade deadline given the Sox recent history. Maybe the Sox should also stop trying to get productive young pieces too since sign then trade seems to be the only way now to add more young pieces. It's so easy to still complain about the off season when no one takes into consideration that our young BP arms probably shouldn't be just thrown out there in high pressure situations and be told to sink or swim. Of course if that happened I know I could count on you to say they are being rushed.So Sox become damned if they do and damned if they don't.

On a side note I have never seen Avi get as much love as he does now in the wake of Jay still being here. Either all those posts saying AVi would be better than Jay ( and I agree) are the result of closet AVi fans coming out of the woodwork for the 1st time or it's more altering history because the past didn't work out.

Well, I'll admit, I'm astonished to learn that there were no other relievers (or, well, catchers since that was on the topic) on the free agent market and our only 2 options were either to acquire those 2 specific guys at high cost or go into the season with only a bullpen full of rookies, but I guess if you are that passionate in your defense of RH that must be the truth.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, I'll admit, I'm astonished to learn that there were no other relievers (or, well, catchers since that was on the topic) on the free agent market and our only 2 options were either to acquire those 2 specific guys at high cost or go into the season with only a bullpen full of rookies, but I guess if you are that passionate in your defense of RH that must be the truth.

McCann has looked good so far...actually just 28, throws quite well...but many still would have preferred Maldonado.

Detroit let him go at that age for a reason.  Of course, we did the same with Tyler Flowers.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So in other words ,no you can't produce a damn thing. I'm not defending Hahn. I'm calling into question why you are so butt hurt that you would continue to rip the front office a new butthole for signings that just helped the team fill a roster rather than over the thing we can all rip the FO for and that is the botched Machado signing.

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So in other words ,no you can't produce a damn thing. I'm not defending Hahn. I'm calling into question why you are so butt hurt that you would continue to rip the front office a new butthole for signings that just helped the team fill a roster rather than over the thing we can all rip the FO for and that is the botched Machado signing.

Because they signed a bunch of guys for greater than the amounts they would have cost a couple weeks later, including guys who are poor fits for our roster (Alonso, putting Smith on waivers), traded away players they shouldn't have traded away in the process, and then had the cojones to cry about payroll flexibility.

One I’ve said before: if you went back in time and told the people who were saying “we can compete this year” we spent $44 million in new money and this is the roster we came away with, they would punch you in the face.

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because they signed a bunch of guys for greater than the amounts they would have cost a couple weeks later, including guys who are poor fits for our roster (Alonso, putting Smith on waivers), traded away players they shouldn't have traded away in the process, and then had the cojones to cry about payroll flexibility.

One I’ve said before: if you went back in time and told the people who were saying “we can compete this year” we spent $44 million in new money and this is the roster we came away with, they would punch you in the face.

Who did they trade away that they shouldn’t have?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Narvaez?  Call?  Who else is there?

And trading Omar was the right thing to do whether you like the return we got.

Trading Narvaez was the exact opposite of the type of move the White Sox should have been making. When you're rebuilding you want wild cards who have promise in one part of their game but are weak in others; work with them to fix their weakness and you have a good player under control cheaply for 4 or 5 years, if it doesn't work you replace them with the next candidate in a year or two. You trade those guys for veteran relievers with 2 years of team control when your 87 win team needs one last piece to get over the hump, and the next rebuilding team tries them out. Seattle made a solid rebuilding move by acquiring him regardless of whether or not it works, if they do enough of those moves then they will wind up with some decent players eventually, the White Sox made a win now move.

Oh no they spent $20 when they could have spent $15. OMG !! SO you know for sure the cheaper guys would've signed with the Sox for less ? That's some set of crystal balls you got there. No one would punch me in the face, WTF does $44M get you anyway (spread out among how many guys)  to make a 100 loss team competitive ?  You make less and less sense every day.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh no they spent $20 when they could have spent $15. OMG !! SO you know for sure the cheaper guys would've signed with the Sox for less ? That's some set of crystal balls you got there. No one would punch me in the face, WTF does $44M get you anyway (spread out among how many guys)  to make a 100 loss team competitive ?  You make less and less sense every day.

You know what? Just stop replying to me if you just want to make personal insults over and over again. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You know what? Just stop replying to me if you just want to make personal insults over and over again. 

If you ever actually responded to what I was asking of you, to provide some basis for your complaints instead f making up imaginary scenarios I could take you more seriously.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Trading Narvaez was the exact opposite of the type of move the White Sox should have been making. When you're rebuilding you want wild cards who have promise in one part of their game but are weak in others; work with them to fix their weakness and you have a good player under control cheaply for 4 or 5 years, if it doesn't work you replace them with the next candidate in a year or two. You trade those guys for veteran relievers with 2 years of team control when your 87 win team needs one last piece to get over the hump, and the next rebuilding team tries them out. Seattle made a solid rebuilding move by acquiring him regardless of whether or not it works, if they do enough of those moves then they will wind up with some decent players eventually, the White Sox made a win now move.

100% disagree and I think if you actually watched our games you’d be on the same page.  Narvaez is absolutely horrible defensively and is a hinderance to the development of our young pitchers.  Trading him was the right thing to do, especially coming off a flukey offensive season.  I’m not even in love with the return, but firmly believe that come the trade deadline Colome (if used as our closer) will be the far more valuable asset.

i love the new balta who gets mad at the front office. I agree with this post but I'd never punch anybody. I always think we can compete in this crap division with some EFFORT from the front office.

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I suppose I should ask again how the off season should ve gone down ? Yes we can all say NOW that Alonso and Jay were unnecessary. You wanted to resign Shields then perhaps over Nova ? Maybe you wanted just kids in the bullpen. Again show me your posts at the beginning of the off season saying how it should go . Hell show me posts where you said signing relievers was a bad idea or even your posts where you thought signing Jay and Alonso was a bad idea regardless of it's impact on Manny, That one should be easy. I know many here thought it was stupid from the beginning but many gave it a chance to work saying it would only be stupid if Machado didn't sign with the Sox.

Avi's not getting a lot of love on here, mostly love from greg.

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Avi's not getting a lot of love on here, mostly love from greg.

More than he ever has actually. I read just about everything on here. Saying he just hit a 464 ft HR or AVi will probably have a bounce back year with Tampa Bay or Avi would've been better than Jay and a few more along those lines.

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe you should go back to LA LA LAND where we own the AL Central for 5-7 years...it’s like we are being forced to join up with Jim Jones in Guyana despite all evidence to the contrary, Jim Jones Has No Clothes.

I get that it’s a lot more fun to be optimistic...and this might be the only time left before the games really count, but if they really cared about the fans more than the bottom line and “risk mitigation,” they could have solved this problem by signing Machado or Harper.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

i love the new balta who gets mad at the front office. I agree with this post but I'd never punch anybody. I always think we can compete in this crap division with some EFFORT from the front office.

Balta always had disdain for the front office and that's when I used to agree with him. He saw things clearly. Now he feels bad like the rest of us about the Machado Mess and is taking it out on every minor move the Sox made just to fill the roster for a year. Hate yourself for believing the hype . hell keep hating the front office until they show they can be successful but be reasonable and stop making things up to fit the narrative or acting like you would've done it better if you can't provide proof that you HAD better ideas from the start. It's nauseating.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe you should go back to LA LA LAND where we own the AL Central for 5-7 years...it’s like we are being forced to join up with Jim Jones in Guyana despite all evidence to the contrary, Jim Jones Has No Clothes.

I get that it’s a lot more fun to be optimistic...and this might be the only time left before the games really count, but if they really cared about the fans more than the bottom line and “risk mitigation,” they could have solved this problem by signing Machado or Harper.

We all know the Machado Mess was a disaster compounded into a catastrophe when Kenny made about as much sense as a preschooler trying to explain how Machado could've made more by "just staying healthy " (up to $350M) but they somehow couldn't afford $300M . I mean that's ridiculous . You can afford $350M but not 300M ????

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Balta always had disdain for the front office and that's when I used to agree with him. He saw things clearly. Now he feels bad like the rest of us about the Machado Mess and is taking it out on every minor move the Sox made just to fill the roster for a year. Hate yourself for believing the hype . hell keep hating the front office until they show they can be successful but be reasonable and stop making things up to fit the narrative or acting like you would've done it better if you can't provide proof that you HAD better ideas from the start. It's nauseating.

To be candid, I like any criticism on here of the front office cause i'm so sick of bad baseball on the south side. I will eternally be grateful for 05 but this is disgusting stuff going on.

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

More than he ever has actually. I read just about everything on here. Saying he just hit a 464 ft HR or AVi will probably have a bounce back year with Tampa Bay or Avi would've been better than Jay and a few more along those lines.

You know, I don't really understand the Sox letting Avi go when he's still not blocking anybody. The way things turned out they coulda given him his 5-10 million for this year and let him hit cause a.) the front office has money to burn and b.) the replacements blow chunks. Not to beat a dead horse, but John Jay may wind up our worst regular since Erstad (not hyperbole I don't think). I do think Jay will be booed this season and that's sad because i'm sure he's probably a nice guy, etc. But cmon. It's insulting to let that guy have 450 at bats when Avi baby coulda had them. Fans know Avi and give him another year to see if he can repeat 2 years ago. Even if he sucked Sox again had money to burn. Pay Avi, not Jay and Alonso and McCann.

• Love 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:23 PM, SouthWallace said:

This is how I remember it.  They were probably trying to sneak him back to AAA to open a 40 man spot and LAAAA claimed him.  

He's out of options, so they couldn't just send him to AAA.  Maybe they had him penciled in as the de facto #3 catcher stashed away at Charlotte until needed (as he was the past two seasons).

Smith and Narvaez are far better than the tandem we've got now.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, zisk said:

Good to hear. Can't believe any one would want McCann more than Smith. especially for more money.

I'm not sure anyone does. Those moves aren't mutually exclusive though as I explained in this thread months ago. They needed Smith's roster spot to add Zavala. They weren't going to carry 4 catchers on the 40-man. They tried to sneak Smith through waivers with (Zavala, Castillo, Narvaez) on the 40-man. It didn't work and the Angels claimed him. Then the Sox got the opportunity to acquire a really good late inning reliever for 2 years in exchange for Narvaez (who isn't their long term answer at the position either). Losing Smith and adding McCann have nothing to do with each other. I didn't want McCann either. I preferred Martin Maldonado. That's a different argument though.