White Sox All Stars

sin city sox fan

There are more Sox players competiting for All Star roster spots this year than I can recall in many years.   I think all of the following have a case to be selected.......

Abreu

Moncada

McCann

Anderson

Giolito

ColomeI

if things don’t change drastically, I outdone guess Abreu, Anderson, and Giolito get picked with the other 3 slighted (can’t see them taking 6 players from a .500ish team) 

whats everyone else think?

This is like the 4th thread we've had on this but I mean that in a good way because it shows how many guys deserve it.

As of now, I think Giolito, Anderson, and Colome make it. Abreu has a decent chance since the AL 1B generally suck but we'll see if he heats up. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

This is like the 4th thread we've had on this but I mean that in a good way because it shows how many guys deserve it.

As of now, I think Giolito, Anderson, and Colome make it. Abreu has a decent chance since the AL 1B generally suck but we'll see if he heats up. 

If Abreu heats up, he'll be a lock.    Right now, I think he's there.   I know his average is down but he's leading the AL in RBI and only a couple HRs out of the top spot.   Don't see how you can leave him out when no 1B in the league is hitting over .300.   He's also a candidate for the HR Derby but I really don't want to see him compete in this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think McCann has a better shot than Anderson at this point, if for no other reason than competition. Gleyber Torres, Jorge Polanco, Adalberto Mondesi, Francisco Lindor, Carlos Correa, and Xander Bogaerts are all well-known and having great years.

McCann has to face Gary Sanchez, Jason Castro, and then a bunch of similar stat guys

3 hours ago, gusguyman said:

I think McCann has a better shot than Anderson at this point, if for no other reason than competition. Gleyber Torres, Jorge Polanco, Adalberto Mondesi, Francisco Lindor, Carlos Correa, and Xander Bogaerts are all well-known and having great years.

McCann has to face Gary Sanchez, Jason Castro, and then a bunch of similar stat guys

Giolito and Colome are locks. The rest are in a tough spot. Gary Sanchez would probably make it because jankees. McCann and Abreu probably have the best shot among position players because of weak competition. It will be tough for Moncada and Anderson because of stiff competition from those guys. 

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I believe there is a rule that only New York teams are entitled to over three selections.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gusguyman said:

I give Anderson less of a shot due to the barrage of big names in the AL at SS. Coupled with a guy like Polanco who plays for one of the league's best teams record wise. However, Anderson has caught some national attention himself this year. His bat flipping and antics has made him a bit polarizing, garnering some debate, praise and hatred. 

Sanchez is the big road block for McCann. However, it's not impossible that he makes it. In a fair world, he would. McCann doesn't just have exception offensive numbers for a catcher, he's also fantastic defensively. Where Sanchez is rather brutal. 

I like Abreu, Colome and Giolito to make it. 

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

And the cubs.  I remember Russell was an All-Star for absolutely no reason whatsoever. 

Eh, it wasn't that far fetched. That was their World Series run. He was a 4.1 WAR player that year and even got a small share of the MVP voting. Really nice power numbers for a SS with 21 HR's and 95 RBI's.

Edited by Richie

14 hours ago, gusguyman said:

McCann & Anderson deserve the honor but probably lose out to guys better known.  I don't really see Abreu, Colome or Gio being overlooked.

Abreu and Gio are locks. That may be all. I'd say Moncada has a chance, then Timmy, then McCann only if they need a catcher. Forget Colome. Our team isn't good enough. he'll be overlooked.

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

Does anyone think Giolito has a chance to start?   He may not be the #1 pick for the job but depending upon where rotations fall with different candidates, I think he has to be under consideration.

He has a chance if he keeps dominating. But as of this moment, sure he has a chance.

19 hours ago, greg775 said:

Abreu and Gio are locks. That may be all. I'd say Moncada has a chance, then Timmy, then McCann only if they need a catcher. Forget Colome. Our team isn't good enough. he'll be overlooked.

Compared to the rest of the AL first basemen, Abreu is 7th in OPS, and his BA is below .250. I think he's been fine this year, but he is no where close to a lock for the ASG.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:14 AM, Jack Parkman said:

Giolito and Colome are locks. The rest are in a tough spot. Gary Sanchez would probably make it because jankees. McCann and Abreu probably have the best shot among position players because of weak competition. It will be tough for Moncada and Anderson because of stiff competition from those guys. 

Why do you think that Colome is a lock? There are 4 relievers in the AL with more saves than him, 11 with better ERAs, one of those is Ken Giles who will probably be the Blue Jays only selection.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why do you think that Colome is a lock? There are 4 relievers in the AL with more saves than him, 11 with better ERAs, one of those is Ken Giles who will probably be the Blue Jays only selection.

There are 11 relievers with an ERA under 1.50? 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are 11 relievers with an ERA under 1.50? 

But Colome would be a lock if the sox didn't have an obvious rep and several other guys with a case

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

2 wins and 12 saves... Colome has a perfect record...I assume that counts for something.

He's certainly in the conversation for the next month, I just didn't see what part of his numbers said "you absolutely must take this guy there's no question". His WHIP is particularly good for now, that's perhaps the feather in his cap. Just out of our division Shane Greene and Brad Hand both have better ERAs and more saves, and I'm not sure if Detroit has an all star other than Greene either, maybe Matthew Boyd but depends on how the rosters work out?