What options does Renteria have with Yonder Alonso?

TBrown54

Alonso 2019 Contract Status:  Signed thru 2019, 2 yrs/$16M (18-19) & 20 team option.

Is Alonso making too much to be benched?  Is it up to Renteria?  Seems like much of blame on this board is directed at RR.  But if FO won't expel Alonso, what choice does RR have?  Bench him and incur the wrath of FO?  I think RR has little to gain by standing up to his bosses in a tank year.  Plus, whomever else he plugs in is probably not much better, anyway. 

According to a story at MLB.com and at the Sox web site, he's been given some time off to "get a mental respite." Which is a polite way of saying he sucks and needs to be benched. Better late than never I suppose by the Sox.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

According to a story at MLB.com and at the Sox web site, he's been given some time off to "get a mental respite." Which is a polite way of saying he sucks and needs to be benched. Better late than never I suppose by the Sox.

I'd only play him against Cleveland. He seems to have helped us turn our fortunes around a bit against the Tribe.

1 hour ago, TBrown54 said:

Alonso 2019 Contract Status:  Signed thru 2019, 2 yrs/$16M (18-19) & 20 team option.

Is Alonso making too much to be benched?  Is it up to Renteria?  Seems like much of blame on this board is directed at RR.  But if FO won't expel Alonso, what choice does RR have?  Bench him and incur the wrath of FO?  I think RR has little to gain by standing up to his bosses in a tank year.  Plus, whomever else he plugs in is probably not much better, anyway. 

I understand your point about Alonso being in the game.  My beef with RR is lineup construction and the miserable job with handling the bullpen.  I really do wonder what bench coach & Coop are doing in this regard.  Just kind of amateurish.

I think Alonso put a lot of pressure on himself because people perceive he was hired to lure his brother in law.  He was a major league hitter before he got here and I won't be surprised if he hits again when he leaves.  I would like to see RR bat him 6 or 7 and play1 st. base half the time.  When he first got here...I liked his approach at the plate.  Now he seems to swing away to get it over with.  I think it's 50-50 we trade Abreu.  We might be needing Alonso until reinforcements arrive.

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If Sox extend Abreu...Alonso is gone.  If Sox Trade Abreu...who knows?

There is no way they are going to pay Alonso another 9 million even if Abreu is gone. Palka or Skole would be better options. 

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

I think Alonso put a lot of pressure on himself because people perceive he was hired to lure his brother in law.  He was a major league hitter before he got here and I won't be surprised if he hits again when he leaves.  I would like to see RR bat him 6 or 7 and play1 st. base half the time.  When he first got here...I liked his approach at the plate.  Now he seems to swing away to get it over with.  I think it's 50-50 we trade Abreu.  We might be needing Alonso until reinforcements arrive.

Listening to WSCR, they said something like Sox have averaged only 3.3 runs per game during Giolito's streak.  If Abreu traded, there goes any chance for 2019 Cy Young Award.  Then looking past 2019, my fear is that Kenny ensures Giolito's White Sox career will be wasted similar to Chis Sale's.

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He’s awful.  A waste of $9 million for this season.  Don’t make the mistake of letting his $9 million option vest so we have to watch him suck again next year.

Yep. It's time to DFA him and bring up Palka or Skole. Alonso has no trade value whatsoever. He needs to go yesterday. 

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

DFA him and just eat the $6M or whatever is left on the contract.  There are more interesting options available that might actually contribute to winning games.

Yep. Alonso and Jay should have been released the day after Machado signed with San Diego. 2019 is a developmental year. There is no place for useless veterans on the position player side. 

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. Alonso and Jay should have been released the day after Machado signed with San Diego. 2019 is a developmental year. There is no place for useless veterans on the position player side. 

White Sox are THE place for useless veterans on the position player side.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

DFA him and just eat the $6M or whatever is left on the contract.  There are more interesting options available that might actually contribute to winning games.

But DFA'ing him makes the front office looks bad doesn't it? Don't think for a second that isn't a factor in all this, not with some of the ego's running things. 

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But DFA'ing him makes the front office looks bad doesn't it? Don't think for a second that isn't a factor in all this, not with some of the ego's running things. 

At some point, you can’t hide the failure any longer.  I would say at almost halfway through the season, acquiring a $9 million dollar DH with a .605 OPS is an epic failure.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You keep pushing this out there when they've admitted mistakes in the past and DFA'd several veterans (some highly paid) that were severely underperforming.  This is a tired argument man.  Yes, they probably want to give him opportunities to try and get out of it so they can attempt to trade him for a bag of balls or a washing machine, but don't act like they're too scared to cut bait with certain sunk costs.