White Sox to Call Up Palka

DirtySox

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would prefer to see Mendick, keep Leury in CF and let Rondon/Sanchez share SS.  But outside of Mendick, there isn't anyone on the AAA roster that should be up here before Palka.  

I get not being a huge fan of Palka, but you take it to another level.  

I find his outfield defense to literally unacceptable. 

Pair that with the rest of his shortcomings and he has no place here. 

If he worked counts and walked with his power then fine. But hes bad at that too. 

Robert deserves to be called up before Palka. Matt Skole deserves a shot before Palka again. Mendick deserves a spot.

Anyone but Palka. People bash Cordell and Tilson - at least Cordell has two good tools and one average tool. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I find his outfield defense to literally unacceptable. 

Pair that with the rest of his shortcomings and he has no place here. 

If he worked counts and walked with his power then fine. But hes bad at that too. 

Robert deserves to be called up before Palka. Matt Skole deserves a shot before Palka again. Mendick deserves a spot.

Anyone but Palka. People bash Cordell and Tilson - at least Cordell has two good tools and one average tool. 

Like I said, its fair to not like Palka.  I too would have preferred Mendick.  Skole doesn't belong in the big leagues and isn't on the 40 man and is almost 30.  Don't care to discuss Robert in this thread, but there is zero reason to bring him to the big league this season. I'd much rather have him for a full season when this team is good than half a season when the team will be lucky to win 75 games.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Like I said, its fair to not like Palka.  I too would have preferred Mendick.  Skole doesn't belong in the big leagues and isn't on the 40 man and is almost 30.  Don't care to discuss Robert in this thread, but there is zero reason to bring him to the big league this season. I'd much rather have him for a full season when this team is good than half a season when the team will be lucky to win 75 games.  

If hes ready hes ready. Pushing back Robert to have him for his age 30 season is likely pointless. Peak years are getting younger and younger. 

Skole sucks, no doubt but palka hasnt earned another chance. Palka is 27 and skole is 29. Not much difference in reality.

I was a defense first baseball player - an outfielder at that. What palka does out there is offensive.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He very clearly has + power. His exit velocities are high and he hits the ball hard when he hits it. But the power tool is worthless without anything else to support it.

If you can't hit the baseball, you cannot have a power tool. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If hes ready head ready. Pushing back Robert to have him for his age 30 season is likely pointless. Peak years are getting younger and younger. 

Skole sucks, no doubt but palka hasnt earned another chance. Palka is 27 and skole is 29. Not much difference in reality.

So it will be a pointless to have a potential star player one additional year in his prime?  Lol at that take.  

Skole is 2 years and change older than Palka.  That is definitely something.  Look, I am not a huge Palka guy.  But I don't really see the problem in giving him one more shot.  We are not flush with options at the moment.  

• Like 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

So it will be a pointless to have a potential star player one additional year in his prime?  Lol at that take.  

Skole is 2 years and change older than Palka.  That is definitely something.  Look, I am not a huge Palka guy.  But I don't really see the problem in giving him one more shot.  We are not flush with options at the moment.  

You thinking 30 is more prime than 23 is a hot take for sure.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You thinking 30 is more prime than 23 is a hot take for sure.

Robert is 21.  You literally just called a year of control of 28 year old Luis Robert, the #5 prospect in baseball, worthless.  That's an awful take.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Robert will be better served in his younger years by coming up sooner. Whether or not that is enough reason idk, but to say there is no reason is not right. 

I'd personally rather get to the point where everyone is good at the same time, than burn Moncada and company's service time waiting for Luis to figure it out because we needed an extra year after the vast majority of the core will be gone. 

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Robert will be better served in his younger years by coming up sooner. Whether or not that is enough reason idk, but to say there is no reason is not right. 

Robert has less than 550 professional at bats.  Its ok to let the guy finish the year in the minor leagues.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Robert is 21.  You literally just called a year of control of 28 year old Luis Robert, the #5 prospect in baseball, worthless.  That's an awful take.    

No, I said if you start Robert's clock today you have him until his 29 season pretty much.

He'll be 22 during this season. They would have him until he was 29. 22 could be as valuable as 29 to robert and this team.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I said if you start Robert's clock today you have him until his 29 season pretty much.

He'll be 22 during this season. They would have him until he was 29. 22 could be as valuable as 29 to robert and this team.

Agree to disagree.  Much prefer to have 29 year old Robert on a team that has a chance to be good instead of 21/2 year old Robert on a team for a half the season that has zero chance at the postseason.  I understand where you're coming from on wanting Robert up ASAP, I just don't mind being patient.  IMO, the Sox are doing the right things - they didn't go through this process to lose patience in the final hours. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Whatever. I would have preferred an infielder, but Leury at SS for a little while could be interesting to watch. Palka sucks, but so do all the others they would have called up. I just hope Collins gets his ABs while he is up, or calling him up was stupid.

seriously, I too like Mendick, but we are freaking out about the callup for an injured player for a few weeks and taking the best offensive player in AAA we don't care about that much.

Robert has less than 550 professional at bats.  Its ok to let the guy finish the year in the minor leagues.  

Arguing whether or not he's actually ready is pointless, but if I'm Rick Hahn and I determine that he's ready today, he comes up today so he can have his weaknesses exposed now instead of in 2020. I'm way more concerned about 2020-2021 that I am about a year when Eloy, Moncada, Anderson and Giolito will have all likely left. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Arguing whether or not he's actually ready is pointless, but if I'm Rick Hahn and I determine that he's ready today, he comes up today so he can have his weaknesses exposed now instead of in 2020. I'm way more concerned about 2020-2021 that I am about a year when Eloy, Moncada, Anderson and Giolito will have all likely left. 

Then I don't think you've really listened to what they've been saying since they started this rebuild.  "Sustained success"  "Extended window"  "Perennial contender" are all terms Hahn has used countless times since we started rebuilding.  They are not building this thing to have a 2-3 year window.  They want to extend the window as much as possible, and that means making sure everyone doesn't become a FA at the same time.  Its really not that complicated.  

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If hes ready hes ready. Pushing back Robert to have him for his age 30 season is likely pointless. Peak years are getting younger and younger. 

I was a defense first baseball player - an outfielder at that. What palka does out there is offensive.

I'm not sure what the guy has to do to "earn" another chance in your eyes.  The White Sox release their old left handed hitting DH and call up a left handed hitting DH that has a .922 OPS in AAA this year and finished 5th in  rookie of the year balloting last year and you are mad about that??   To even suggest the older Skole, with the 3500 career at bats with an OPS barely over .800 is more deserving is unhinged.  I will agree Palka had a horrific week and a half in April...but to completely write off his career because of that????     

Sox seem pretty set on keeping Leury at SS. I feel it's a showcase of sorts letting competing teams know that while he's turned into a nice outfielder, he still has the ability to play the middle infield.

They call up Detwiler and Palka today, send Detwiler down for Cease for 7/3 DH, dump Ruiz/Osich/Fulmer for Covey once he's done rehabbing. By the end of the first week of July Sox are rolling with 

SS Leury

3B Moncada

1B Abreu

C McCann/Collins

LF Jimenez

RF Palka/Cordell/Jay

CF Jay/Cordell/Tilson

DH Collins/Palka

2B Yolmer

Rotation 1) Giolito 2) Nova 3) Cease 4) Covey 5) Lopez

Still not good but better

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Sox seem pretty set on keeping Leury at SS. I feel it's a showcase of sorts letting competing teams know that while he's turned into a nice outfielder, he still has the ability to play the middle infield.

They call up Detwiler and Palka today, send Detwiler down for Cease for 7/3 DH, dump Ruiz/Osich/Fulmer for Covey once he's done rehabbing. By the end of the first week of July Sox are rolling with 

SS Leury

3B Moncada

1B Abreu

C McCann/Collins

LF Jimenez

RF Palka/Cordell/Jay

CF Jay/Cordell/Tilson

DH Collins/Palka

2B Yolmer

Rotation 1) Giolito 2) Nova 3) Cease 4) Covey 5) Lopez

Still not good but better

What is the significance of 7/3, I keep seeing that date thrown around but I personally don't see them calling him up in a slump and right after he pitched a rain shortened game. 

16 minutes ago, mqr said:

What is the significance of 7/3, I keep seeing that date thrown around but I personally don't see them calling him up in a slump and right after he pitched a rain shortened game. 

Its a doubleheader.  

19 minutes ago, mqr said:

Its a doubleheader.  

Yup it's a DH. Additionally, it's a home game against a shitty team and a date where people get off work. Sox can ease Cease into the MLB with a can of an opponent in front of what should be a healthy home crowd in what has the makings of a great day at the stadium. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Yup it's a DH. Additionally, it's a home game against a shitty team and a date where people get off work. Sox can ease Cease into the MLB with a can of an opponent in front of what should be a healthy home crowd in what has the makings of a great day at the stadium. 

Rabbit, you know for sure its going to be Detwiler today?