8/1/19 Mets@Sox Gamethread extraordinaire

wegner

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think I've seen enough. If he was 24, I think I'd give him the remainder of the season to show something but since he's 26 I'm ready to walk away. 

Glad to see you've finally come around on him. Hated that he was taking Collins ABs up here. Hopefully the AAA stint with Collins helps though.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Ok but that wasn't exactly the point.

Yeah, I remember those guys at both their peak value as prospects and lack of MLB success. It was much worse pre-2009 than it is now. It seems like teams have become a lot better at scouting and they don't pick players that turn into non-prospects in the first round that much anymore. A lot of these guys still don't have long careers, but they're not washing out in the minors like they used to. 

9 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Glad to see you've finally come around on him. Hated that he was taking Collins ABs up here. Hopefully the AAA stint with Collins helps though.

It wasn't that I ever thought Reed wasn't garbage, but rather it was that I had a lower opinion of Collins. Enough so that I would have rather seen Reed take the ABs. It always was a complete South Park Douche/Turd situation. Collins' adjustments have made me want to see him up here again. I wasn't sure if Collins was ever going to make the adjustments he needed to in order to be an ok hitter in the Majors. It looks like he has given himself a chance. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Castillo and Reed better be gone come tomorrow. This is a joke right now.

Jay can go too, but probably not. The only advantage he has over Cordell is that he makes his at bats more watchable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is the best I've seen him look in all of his appearances at the MLB level. They gotta give him at least the rest of this season and until Memorial Day 2020 if he's throwing this type of stuff. They might have a setup man here. He definitely deserves a look over guys like Ruiz and Osich. 

I will take that as a positive from this game.  It sounds like it will be hard for guys to square up Carson with his movement.  I fully concur with the idea of keeping him up here.  No reason not to at this point.

Edited by wegner

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I will take that as a positive from this game.  It sounds like it will be hard for guys to square up Carson with his movement.  I fully concur with the idea of competing him up here.  No reason not to at this point.

Yeah, after this year he's out of options. It's their last chance to get anything out of Fulmer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Jay has performed well, he doesn‘t have a future, but he is at least contributing

He's got the 2018 Shields factor to me. Still a somewhat useful player, but a constant reminder of Sox FO failures. It is nauseating to see him in a Sox uni for that reason. The FO doesn't care what the fans think so he's probably going to be here for the remainder of the season, just like Shields was last year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The front office has to step in at some point, or they are indeed trying to lose as many games as possible. 🤔

How about Major League Baseball stepping in any forcing JR to sell the tea to an owner who gives a shit!

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Plus there's plenty of rebuilding teams that would give a former first rounder a shot.

Yup. I doubt he'd make it through Waivers. Hell I doubt he'd make it past Baltimore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Cease decided to go after hitters after it was 4-0. I didn't see the rest of the game. Carson looked good after he hung the first pitch. Otherwise this was beyond boring baseball.

Cease looked good, the 3 spot he gave up was a combination of bad luck and bad defense.