A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

17 minutes ago, wsox05 said:

Wonder what Encarnacion is going to get? I can’t imagine he gets a 2 year deal. I’d say 1yr/$12M max. It may end up under $10M with the amount of teams looking for a DH. 

To me it would make sense to have Grandal be the #1 option for the offense. Then get EE for the DH spot for a season. Then you could have this 

C- Grandal/McCann/Collins

1B- Abreu/Grandal/Collins

DH- Encarnacion/Abreu/Collins

Keeps everyone fresh and EE on a 1 year deal leaves open 1B for Vaughn. 

Then I still say trade for a RF. 

How about this lineup

1. Robert CF

2. Moncada 3B

3. Grandal C

4. Jimenez LF

5. Abreu 1B

6. Encarnacion DH

7. RF

8. Anderson SS

9. Madrigal 2B

Just an option I was thinking about. 

Yep and maybe fits better than JDM in terms of blocking Vaughn 

14 hours ago, wsox05 said:

Wonder what Encarnacion is going to get? I can’t imagine he gets a 2 year deal. I’d say 1yr/$12M max. It may end up under $10M with the amount of teams looking for a DH. 

He made $20 last year so I think $10-12 would get him. He got $5Mil already for his buyout. 

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jim Bowden did his predictions in an Athletic article and the only guys he had the White Sox as a fit for were Rendon & Abreu.  And his projected contract for José was 3/$60M.  That dude is such a hack.

I think the Sox gotta give Abreu the QO if he’s even the slightest bit interested in testing the market. If someone offers him something stupid that we shouldn’t match, at least get something for it. And if he takes it, that’s not a terrible result at this point. 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think the Sox gotta give Abreu the QO if he’s even the slightest bit interested in testing the market. If someone offers him something stupid that we shouldn’t match, at least get something for it. And if he takes it, that’s not a terrible result at this point. 

The odds of Jose just taking and being happy with the $18M QO next year are WAY higher than someone signing Jose to a multi year deal with a QO attached. 

I don’t think a reasonable common sense middle ground should be that hard to find with Jose given his very public desire to stay...I’d say 2/28 is more than fair

This guy drives me nuts:

Xr9nXI9s_bigger.jpgJosh Nelson @soxmachine_josh

I get that thinking. Where I push back is that if Rick Hahn was comfortable giving Manny Machado 8 years, $250 million last year (debatable), then he should be able to convince his bosses to commit $140 million to bring in J.D. Martinez and Yasmani Grandal. #Moneywillbespent

What is "debatable" about that? It's literally what the offer was? This guy will put a negative spin to anything and everything. The outcome was already negative; why spin some absurd conspiracy theory that the Sox never wanted to give him that much money?

24 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The odds of Jose just taking and being happy with the $18M QO next year are WAY higher than someone signing Jose to a multi year deal with a QO attached. 

I don’t think a reasonable common sense middle ground should be that hard to find with Jose given his very public desire to stay...I’d say 2/28 is more than fair

I realize it is a old school stat but do you expect a guy who leads the league in RBI to take a pay cut?  I would very much take the 2/28 as the team but I predict we will be unhappy numerically.  Afraid of 2/38-40 with an option

11 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I realize it is a old school stat but do you expect a guy who leads the league in RBI to take a pay cut?  I would very much take the 2/28 as the team but I predict we will be unhappy numerically.  Afraid of 2/38-40 with an option

That’s why I’d be more than happy to let Jose test the market without the QO. If I’m the Sox I politely tell that RBI leader to find another team that is willing to guarantee him more than $30M. If he does we’ll match any reasonable offers, if not 2/28 is still on the table...I find it pretty hard to think of a team that will willing to give Jose that kind of contract, but I could be wrong as well.

• Like 1

In the past 12 hours I have read a top five landing spots for Strasburg article on MLB.com that included the White Sox and watched a contributor for the MLB network, Anthony Castrovince, pick the White Sox to land Gerrit Cole.  Stating that the Sox only have $53 million committed thus far and money talks.  I'm not saying either of these things will happen but it is much different than the start of last offseason.  When no one was giving the White Sox a chance with Harper or Machado other than the White Sox.  

51 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I agree, but it begs the question why it hasn't happened yet. 

16 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

In the past 12 hours I have read a top five landing spots for Strasburg article on MLB.com that included the White Sox and watched a contributor for the MLB network, Anthony Castrovince, pick the White Sox to land Gerrit Cole.  Stating that the Sox only have $53 million committed thus far and money talks.  I'm not saying either of these things will happen but it is much different than the start of last offseason.  When no one was giving the White Sox a chance with Harper or Machado other than the White Sox.  

I’ll believe it when I see it. This front office doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This guy drives me nuts:

Xr9nXI9s_bigger.jpgJosh Nelson @soxmachine_josh

I get that thinking. Where I push back is that if Rick Hahn was comfortable giving Manny Machado 8 years, $250 million last year (debatable), then he should be able to convince his bosses to commit $140 million to bring in J.D. Martinez and Yasmani Grandal. #Moneywillbespent

What is "debatable" about that? It's literally what the offer was? This guy will put a negative spin to anything and everything. The outcome was already negative; why spin some absurd conspiracy theory that the Sox never wanted to give him that much money?

'Yeah the White Sox won the 2022 World Series, but quite frankly the process was garbage'

Just now, mqr said:

I think I'd rather just bring Yolmer back tbh

Yah, Dietrich definitely looked more interesting before his 2nd half nosedive.  But if not for his 2nd half nosedive, he wouldn't be available.

And unlike Yolmer, Dietrich can play the OF, has quite a bit of pop and can get on base.  I am not proposing the guy as a solution to anything, but he's a decent fit as the 25/26th man type on a cheap 1 year deal.  Could fill in at 2B until Madrigal is ready, move around thereafter.  

Just another option.  

50 minutes ago, mqr said:

'Yeah the White Sox won the 2022 World Series, but quite frankly the process was garbage'

Yeah, I get that it's been a rough decade and the Sox have failed time and time again... there's enough actual nonsense to be critical of, what is the point of being overly critical of things that aren't real? It takes away from all the "I'm a realist" credibility claims. 

I am all for logical pessimists; I can't stand illogical ones.