Sox in on Marcell Ozuna? I mean, maybe. Or not.

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Agreed. I'm ok with him assuming we get him on a cheaper deal. There's no reason to go after him instead of Castellanos unless we get a nice discount. I really hope it's not anything over $60 million over 4 years.

It’s going to be a lot more than 4/60, IMO

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

I just don't think that Ozuna is the type of free agent signing I expected when they said the $ would be spent.  If it is a long term deal, I do not like it.  If it is a 2 year deal, fine but I doubt they would give up a draft pick for a short term signing.  

Who were you expecting them to sign to play RF? 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Here's what I'll say on Ozuna. None of the Sox writers can confirm and many have denied that it's true already. Marcell Ozuna's family in the DR thinks it's true in addition to reporters there however. 

Seems odd they would flat out deny it though. If you couldn’t confirm it I would think you stay quite instead of jumping to a conclusion.

Honestly, I was expecting a short term deal for RF, expecting that position to be filled from the minor leagues long term.  I expected the $ to be spent on pitching (and maybe it still will be).  I would not like the signing but I will root for him if he's here...offensively he would obviously be a major upgrade from the black hole we had there last year.

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Here's what I'll say on Ozuna. None of the Sox writers can confirm and many have denied that it's true already. Marcell Ozuna's family in the DR thinks it's true in addition to reporters there however. 

His family thinks it’s true?  Do you mean like his extended family?  Where are you hearing this Jimmy?  Twitter?

Just now, wegner said:

Honestly, I was expecting a short term deal for RF, expecting that position to be filled from the minor leagues long term.  I expected the $ to be spent on pitching (and maybe it still will be).  I would not like the signing but I will root for him if he's here...offensively he would obviously be a major upgrade from the black hole we had there last year.

I just don’t think there’s anyone special from the minor league group you mention. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I just don’t think there’s anyone special from the minor league group you mention. 

Many disagree with me I am sure, but I think Steele Walker is the long term answer there....Of course I would not object to Uncle Jerry opening up the checkbook for George Springer next offseason 😁

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Most of that group also needs another couple years.  Rutherford, Adolfo, & Walker will all be starting in AA next year.  Basabe is the only guy who could maybe be an option in 2021 and he’s still got a lot left to prove.

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’m not fathom but I was reading a week or so back that he could fetch 90 mil

Yeah, I recall that article, but seemed like an agent based plant.  I just don’t see him having a huge market given some of the defensive concerns and the comp pick being attached.

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Any chance a Joc trade still happens if this deal goes through and we put Ozuna at DH most the time?

I wouldn’t complain but the Sox have more than enough bats to cycle through DH.  But if they sign Ozuna, I doubt they add Joc.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

You can't just look at UZR and DRS, especially because that's in LF and not RF. Statcast has his outs above average and jumps as pretty bad throughout his career, with the exception of 2017 when they were randomly good for one season.

I know he isn't this bad regularly, but this hasn't been posted yet so I couldn't help myself:

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Most of that group also needs another couple years.  Rutherford, Adolfo, & Walker will all be starting in AA next year.  Basabe is the only guy who could maybe be an option in 2021 and he’s still got a lot left to prove.

I see Walker and Basabe in the majors as fringe starters.  I honestly don’t see the other two even making the majors and would use them as trade bait if they even have any value remaining.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Looking at his splits, even though he's a RHH he hits like a LHH in that he's much better vs righties than lefties. He had an abnormally low babip so perhaps they are counting on positive regression as well.

I still don't see how he fits in the OF though. He isn't a competent RF and there's no place for Eloy except DH if Ozuna is in left (we would still have a RF hole to fill).

Unless Hahn is officially giving up on Eloy as a fielder, is gonna put Ozuna in left, still trade a bullpen piece for Joc in RF and then trade all the minor league OFers in a quantity based package for a pitcher.

1 minute ago, EvilJester99 said:

Would much rather trade for Marte but Pitt must be asking too much. 

Eh, sure he’s the better player but we would only have him for two years and he would cost a nutload in talent.  He’s also two years older than Ozuna.  I’d rather just give up the draft pick and money for Ozuna.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

You can't just look at UZR and DRS, especially because that's in LF and not RF. Statcast has his outs above average and jumps as pretty bad throughout his career, with the exception of 2017 when they were randomly good for one season.

I know he isn't this bad regularly, but this hasn't been posted yet so I couldn't help myself:

That’s absolutely hilarious, but he actually looks pretty fluid out there blunder be damned.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Well, baseball is supposed to be entertaining and that sure in the hell was fun to watch...not if your a Cardinal fan or the pitcher though