Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know Hill has been pretty good when healthy, but dude will be 40 next year and at some point is going to fall off a cliff if he plays long enough.  Hopefully that year is next year.

40 next year AND coming off major elbow surgery

• Like 1

Had the Sox whiffed on Keuchel and Ryu, Bailey probably would have been the consolation prize. Knowing the Twins, he'll be pretty good next year somehow. However history tells us that he's pretty damn bad as a pitcher despite last year's decent season.

One more thing on Bailey: he had a ERA near 6 and an FIP over 5 on the road when he wasn't pitching in KC and Oakland. Those are 2 of the friendliest parks for HR and run suppression. Target field is more neutral albeit still a pitchers park. It's just interesting how drastic his splits were.

Edited by chw42

12 minutes ago, mqr said:

Also, Homer Bailey playing in stadiums where it's impossible to hit home runs has really appeared to make people forget how god awful Homer Bailey is.

His split finger has gotten a lot better, and he started throwing it a lot more and is now a legit put away pitch. I’ll say that if Lopez doesn’t improve, Bailey would be a better #5 starter than Lopez is for us.

I think Graterol is the X factor for them, whenever he comes up. He could have Cease type impact for them.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The Twins signings are so half assed moves the White Sox normally make.  I thought the goal was to keep a window open as long as possible.  It wouldn't surprise me if they wind up the most disappointing team of 2020. Way too much went right for them. 

I feel like the Cardinals and Twins get the most out of their guys. Shit just goes right for those orgs no matter what and it's annoying af.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

There will be no floor because there's no incentive for the owners to agree to that. Analytics provides the possibility of being successful without spending so owners have a win-win scenario where there is winning plus mega profits. 

The union would have to offer a massive concession to get the votes it would need for a floor and even then the floor would have to still be relatively low. You have to provide them similar profit margins in a new system otherwise they won't vote for it. 

For every Astros there’s a Rays, Indians, or A’s, where they could stay competitive through analytics and make the playoffs every couple years, their revenue only saw minimal growth YoY after adjusted for inflation. When teams don’t spend enough and trade away star players before they become expensive and have to resort to under the radar options and tier 3/4 free agents, it doesn’t excite fans a whole lot and put butts on the seats.

Twins fans are shredding their front office because of earlier comments about acquiring “impact pitching”:

“We’re going to target impact pitching,” chief baseball officer Derek Falvey said. “I think that’s going to be a big part of our focus, and try to figure out if we can get there.”

27 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

What an embarrassment.  How do they sell these moves to their fans?

I wouldn't call it an embarrassment, but for a team that talked a big game about adding another TOR guy,  not good.  Signing Donaldson might ease their pain but who knows if that's happening.

3 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I wouldn't call it an embarrassment, but for a team that talked a big game about adding another TOR guy,  not good.  Signing Donaldson might ease their pain but who knows if that's happening.

I think it’s pretty bad.  Homer Bailey could easily revert to his usual level of bad and Hill is ancient and won’t be ready to start the season after his surgery.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I feel like the Cardinals and Twins get the most out of their guys. Shit just goes right for those orgs no matter what and it's annoying af.

The Twins haven’t won a playoff game since before the White Sox won the World Series. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

They've also won fewer playoff games...

Just strange to me how some Sox fans put the Twins on a pedestal. The Sox have been mostly a dumpster fire for a decade, so I get it in that respect, but the Twins haven’t done shit. It’s an org that frankly has produced very little to be jealous of.  My take opinion is a little unique seeing as though I’ve lived the majority of my life in MN, all my best friends are Twins fans, and therefore I know more about the Twins than most “Twins fans”, but still.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just strange to me how some Sox fans put the Twins in a pedestal. The Sox have been mostly a dumpster fire for a decade, so I get it in that respect, but the Twins haven’t done shit. It’s an org that frankly has produced very little to be jealous of.  My take opinion is a little unique seeing as though I’ve lived the majority of my life in MN, all my best friends are Twins fans, and therefore I know more about the Twins than most “Twins fans”, but still.  

Deleted my post after realizing we were saying the same thing but...

Yeah, the White Sox have a skin on the wall. The Twins have a decade of getting they're shit shoved in by the Yankees. Neither are particularly good. They won 100 games against the worst division of all time. Whoop dee doo.

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Deleted my post after realizing we were saying the same thing but...

Yeah, the White Sox have a skin on the wall. The Twins have a decade of getting they're shit shoved in by the Yankees. Neither are particularly good. They won 100 games against the worst division of all time. Whoop dee doo.

In a pretty flukey season of career years. I just don’t see it happening again. I think they’re like an 85-88 win team right now. Buxton is such a huge key for them. They’re so much better when he plays, but that’s as good as a coin flip. 

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we signed Harris and also traded for another reliever.

This seems like the best plan, whether Harris or Hudson.  Sign one and trade for one.  Hope Burdi and Johnson come through and Hamilton gets healthy.  You can never have too many pitchers.  And you can never really have too many relievers.