Road Sox @ Home Sox | 7.16.20 Intrasquad GameThread

Tnetennba

18 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Rodon has never thrown anywhere close to 100, I have no idea where you get that idea from. According to Rotowire, His FB has averaged a tick over 93 every MLB season, with the exception of 2019 when he was at 91.5. 

So if he's averaging 92 that's pretty good given that he's still working his way back. His control looked fine, but his command wasn't there. He left too many pitches over the plate. Hopefully that improves the further he gets from TJS. Especially for slider-heavy pitchers it can take 18-24 months to get the pre-injury command/feel back

Yeah he did back before the injuries. In 2015 and 2016 he hit 100 multiple times. Even in 2018 after he came back from shoulder surgery he was hitting 98 late in starts. (5th or 6th inning) 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Lopez is toast.

He just hasn’t added anything since he broke into the majors, and it seems his stuff has gone downhill as well.  Still can’t get over how different he looked in that dominating outing vs Braves when on the Nats.

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What happened to Rodon hitting 100 couple weeks ago? I thought I saw that somewhere on Twitter. I was basing my optimism about him off of that. 

Needless to say if he's throwing 92 he doesn't have the control for that. 

I hope it's just dead arm or something. 

This is an intrasquad game. We don't know how hard he is throwing or even if he is featuring a pitch to work on it in non-game situations.  Think of it like spring training and not the end of the world.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This is an intrasquad game. We don't know how hard he is throwing or even if he is featuring a pitch to work on it in non-game situations.  Think of it like spring training and not the end of the world.

Except for Cease. He's clearly a Cy Young favorite.

13 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Three bad throws by Vaughn in the last two days. I know he's a 1B by trade and he doesn't need to throw TOO much, and maybe chalk some up to jitters, but something to keep an eye on.

If they really are going to let him log time over there, it gives him something to work on.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep he’s been very good in these games with Chuck. Just hope we don’t hear the same COVID story every game, that’s all. 

I've actually thought he's at his best when I've heard him doing NCAA tournament games on the radio. Not a ton of time for stories or anything, he's really very good at radio play by play for a faster paced sport.

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

I've actually thought he's at his best when I've heard him doing NCAA tournament games on the radio. Not a ton of time for stories or anything, he's really very good at radio play by play for a faster paced sport.

His games with Walton are legendary. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they really are going to let him log time over there, it gives him something to work on.

I get that, and same thing with letting Mercedes stretch it out over there earlier this week. But those two errant throws to second yesterday (yes, Leury should've caught one of them) are from his natural position. Small sample size etc, but not something I want to pencil into the lineup right away.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No of course man, Rodon is coming back from TJS I'm not worried at all. I'm chalking it up to a ST dead arm equivalent because he's building up post injury. 

Not to mention the Sox lineup is really good. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I get that, and same thing with letting Mercedes stretch it out over there earlier this week. But those two errant throws to second yesterday (yes, Leury should've caught one of them) are from his natural position. Small sample size etc, but not something I want to pencil into the lineup right away.

He did say he was learning defensive drills from abreu which could explain his struggles.