Tigers call up 3 top 100 prospects.

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Well this series just got a little bit more interesting! Hopefully Ricky’s boys are more prepared than the Cardinals series. 

Were the Sox more prepared yesterday than they were Saturday?

• Thanks 1

Tigers will likely be our competition come 2022 or 2023 season. Skubal, Manning & Mize should all be rotation options. Now, we all know what can happen to pitching prospects with injuries, etc.. but it's a nice start. The problem with them is they really don't have a minor league system full of many bats. Riley Greene should be a starter, and Torkelson should move his way up the system quickly. Outside of that they're going to have to go out and sign some bats. But based on the Illitch past I think money will be there as necessary to make some moves. Miggy contract has some run left in it, but outside that they're clear. 2020 and 2021 will be growing years. But I think 2022 is a real possibility for them to be where we are next year. By that point I'd expect both Minnesota and Cleveland to have fallen off a bit. 

19 hours ago, bmags said:

Detroit is building a pretty scary rotation but we all know how much can happen before they make it to the rotation.

That said, if they end up with Kumar Rocker...eesh. 

I know Kumar Rocker was a big HS name in the draft a few years ago, but I missed where he went after that faded away. Doing big things in college, I assume?

15 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Tigers will likely be our competition come 2022 or 2023 season. Skubal, Manning & Mize should all be rotation options. Now, we all know what can happen to pitching prospects with injuries, etc.. but it's a nice start. The problem with them is they really don't have a minor league system full of many bats. Riley Greene should be a starter, and Torkelson should move his way up the system quickly. Outside of that they're going to have to go out and sign some bats. But based on the Illitch past I think money will be there as necessary to make some moves. Miggy contract has some run left in it, but outside that they're clear. 2020 and 2021 will be growing years. But I think 2022 is a real possibility for them to be where we are next year. By that point I'd expect both Minnesota and Cleveland to have fallen off a bit. 

They have a bad ownership group, a bad GM, and literally there might be 2 solid regulars (not even stars) in their lineup that is currently on their roster and farm.  The Twins are so far ahead of them I can't see anyway they overtake them as the Sox' main rival the next few years.

They have a bunch of TINSSAAPPs, cool, so did and so do the Sox.  You need more, a lot more.  I follow them 2nd closely as I have a ton of Tiger fan friends.  They are not thrilled with their rebuild, other than the tanking they've done last week month of the season to get the 1,1s.

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They have a bad ownership group, a bad GM, and literally there might be 2 solid regulars (not even stars) in their lineup that is currently on their roster and farm.  The Twins are so far ahead of them I can't see anyway they overtake them as the Sox' main rival the next few years.

They have a bunch of TINSSAAPPs, cool, so did and so do the Sox.  You need more, a lot more.  I follow them 2nd closely as I have a ton of Tiger fan friends.  They are not thrilled with their rebuild, other than the tanking they've done last week month of the season to get the 1,1s.

What’s your take on Manning?

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What’s your take on Manning?

He reminds me a lot of Kopech good and bad.  That said, I don't pretend to have watched him that much.  They have a lot of good young pitching, but it's just good young pitching until they are actually established in MLB, which as we've seen is a hard road even for talented young hurlers.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, soxfan49 said:

I look forward to seeing Mize. I'm surprised Avila did this in a year trending downward for the Tigers, but to each their own. Hopefully the Sox light his ass up.

It is a bit risky as the kopech situation  could happen (TJ and 1.5 years of service time lost) but those guys are not 19 but 22/23 and playing AA and AAA and losing a whole year of development at that point hurts.

Also with pitchers service time often plays less of a role because they often break before they are free agents plus the tigers already get them through 2026 so I think it is a good decision to give them experience now.