2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I don't care which side the mob is on ... I don't want to be unarmed when they come knocking, I mean bashing down, my door. Did u see last night the mob marched to the house of the Seattle congressperson who voted to keep funding for police? It was something out of Orwell. They marched to KILL. Again, I don't care who the mob represents ... I need to be safe in my country, the USA!

Dude, I'm a right-leaning moderate. Black bloc/antifa and Proud Boys are both goofy extremists who do stupid and sometimes violent things in a limited number of places. I strongly disapprove of them, just like I disapprove of all extremists.

But they're not about to kick down your door. The imminent election of Joe freaking Biden should probably indicate to you, if you can snap out of your hypnosis, that neither group has a terribly large influence in this country. Stop scrolling through Twitter- if you told the average person in your daily life that you like Trump, would they hack you to pieces with a sickle while humming The Internationale? No. 1,000 people marching through a business district and smashing store fronts might look freaky on TV, but that equates to 1 in 325,000 Americans. You could easily live your life never meeting a single one of these people.

Buy a gun because you like guns. Buy a gun because you have training. Buy a gun because you appreciate the Second Amendment. But don't buy a gun because you're scared. In fact, stop being so scared. It's unbecoming.

Also, @greg775, I work in a super liberal city in an otherwise red state. A guy got shot at a protest a few months back. Often in the evenings, I drive those same streets where the protesting happens and where that guy got shot. Maybe I got lucky with the random dates I picked for those drives, but I've never even seen a protest, much less had my path blocked or been in actual danger. The threat that you perceive is greatly overblown.

4 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Dude, I'm a right-leaning moderate. Black bloc/antifa and Proud Boys are both goofy extremists who do stupid and sometimes violent things in a limited number of places. I strongly disapprove of them, just like I disapprove of all extremists.

But they're not about to kick down your door. The imminent election of Joe freaking Biden should probably indicate to you, if you can snap out of your hypnosis, that neither group has a terribly large influence in this country. Stop scrolling through Twitter- if you told the average person in your daily life that you like Trump, would they hack you to pieces with a sickle while humming The Internationale? No. 1,000 people marching through a business district and smashing store fronts might look freaky on TV, but that equates to 1 in 325,000 Americans. You could easily live your life never meeting a single one of these people.

Buy a gun because you like guns. Buy a gun because you have training. Buy a gun because you appreciate the Second Amendment. But don't buy a gun because you're scared. In fact, stop being so scared. It's unbecoming.

Danny, it's an act for years. Laugh like the rest of us and move on. 

• Fire 3

4 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Also, @greg775, I work in a super liberal city in an otherwise red state. A guy got shot at a protest a few months back. Often in the evenings, I drive those same streets where the protesting happens and where that guy got shot. Maybe I got lucky with the random dates I picked for those drives, but I've never even seen a protest, much less had my path blocked or been in actual danger. The threat that you perceive is greatly overblown.

I have tried to help Greg, but I have failed.

I've recommended the following to him:

1. Get off social media

2. Get off cable news TV 

3. Get off political talk radio

4. Get a non-political book, and read it.

5. Get some exercise.

6. Get out and meet some people that are different than him.

So far, there have been no results with Greg.  But I admire you also trying to help him. Perhaps you, as a person who leans right, can give Greg the proper motivation.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I don't care which side the mob is on ... I don't want to be unarmed when they come knocking, I mean bashing down, my door. Did u see last night the mob marched to the house of the Seattle congressperson who voted to keep funding for police? It was something out of Orwell. They marched to KILL. Again, I don't care who the mob represents ... I need to be safe in my country, the USA!

I would want some sort of verification of this to even begin to believe it. I hear shit like this all the time, and it turns out to be fabrications.

From the very beginning back in 2016, Trump has refused to condemn violence; in fact he has encouraged it. And he has had guys like Steve Bannon around doing the same thing. You want to be safe? Tell Trump to shut up and take the first train out of town. By the way, except for some rare federal spending, Congressmen don't vote to fund or defund the police. That is a local matter. And I do remember a president who pushed through legislation to fund and hire more police. That was Bill Clinton. Yeah, this was something out of Orwell all right. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

AOC responded yesterday to the leaked allegations of Spanberger etc. against the more progressive Democrats

She did vey little for Biden. Not a mainstream candidate. 

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I have tried to help Greg, but I have failed.

I've recommended the following to him:

1. Get off social media

2. Get off cable news TV 

3. Get off political talk radio

4. Get a non-political book, and read it.

5. Get some exercise.

6. Get out and meet some people that are different than him.

So far, there have been no results with Greg.  But I admire you also trying to help him. Perhaps you, as a person who leans right, can give Greg the proper motivation.

Political books are fine, but avoid the snarky super partisan ones from both sides that come out a dime a dozen these days. I'm currently reading Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger and it's great. A little heavy at times, but nicely rolls up so many of the interactions between states from the time of the 30 Year War to the end of the Cold War.

On point 6, for as much as the news will elevate deranged freaks on both sides of the aisle, I cannot stress enough that most people are not those people. At my primary job, my closest friend is a huge Bernie supporter. I call him a commie and he calls me a fascist, and then we have drinks together. It's more likely that I get eaten by a polar bear than that I get stabbed to death by that guy in the name of the revolution. We're friends! We get along and life goes on.

I'm just sick of the cowardice I see all around me. I'm sick of hearing people whine that they will never own a house because of whatever societal conditions. I'm sick of people worrying that a few rioters will turn a nation of 325,000,000 into the USSR. Stop whining and stop being scared. I forged my path to buying not just one house but two by my mid thirties. If danger comes, I'll protect my family because that's who I am, but I'm not going to let my life revolve around that imagined fear. People need to stiffen their upper lips, seize their own destinies, and carry on.

I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

18 hours ago, Danny Dravot said:

To be fair, with population growth, it’s reasonable that the record for getting the most votes ever will continue to be shattered. I mean, Trump 2020 got more votes than everybody ever except for Biden. So it’s kind of a meaningless metric.

Trump losing the popular vote two times in a row is not meaningless. As far the number of votes, turnout increased because many wanted no more of Trump. 

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

AOC responded yesterday to the leaked allegations of Spanberger etc. against the more progressive Democrats

The second tweet here is the key one. Both Spanberger and AOC can be right. 

AOC is strategically right (which shouldn't be surprising, she's brilliant when it comes to the ground game), but the messaging also doesn't resonate outside of lean-to-deep blue areas. Spanberger is also smart and won a district that has been repped by the GOP since 1971. The bigger problem is letting the GOP taking slivers of slogans and then define the entire party with it. It'd be like defining the entire GOP with Madison Cawthorn and Marjorie Taylor Greene - when the Democrats are much, much more ideologically diverse. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pcq said:

Wonder if anyone will call/declare a winner today.

It is coming.  Nevada is over 22k lead with 63k ballots left to be counted.  PA lead is growing and almost all are coming from Pro-Biden areas.  AZ the President isn't making enough headway.

Its over.

48 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Buy a gun if you're smart enough to be trained to use it and protect others who are not from accessing it.

Don't use a gun in fear of the "bogeyman" or of the slim chance that you'll get a criminal robbing you and you can Dirty Harry them and get a boner from it.

8 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Trump losing the popular vote two times in a row is not meaningless. As far the number of votes, turnout increased because many wanted no more of Trump. 

Democrats have won 7 of the last 8 popular votes.

Biden / Trump
H. Clinton / Trump
Obama / Romney
Obama / McCain
W. Bush / Kerry
Gore / W. Bush
B. Clinton / Dole
B. Clinton / H.W. Bush

10 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

You missed my point. "Having the most votes ever", not "Trump losing the popular vote twice", is what I called meaningless. Of course Joe Biden got more votes than Truman 1948- the country has twice the population as it did then. We are going to constantly demolish this record. If a candidate in the 2060 presidential election doesn't blow Biden's vote total out of the water, I hope that candidate doesn't share my views because his loss will have been nuclear.

32 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Political books are fine, but avoid the snarky super partisan ones from both sides that come out a dime a dozen these days. I'm currently reading Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger and it's great. A little heavy at times, but nicely rolls up so many of the interactions between states from the time of the 30 Year War to the end of the Cold War.

On point 6, for as much as the news will elevate deranged freaks on both sides of the aisle, I cannot stress enough that most people are not those people. At my primary job, my closest friend is a huge Bernie supporter. I call him a commie and he calls me a fascist, and then we have drinks together. It's more likely that I get eaten by a polar bear than that I get stabbed to death by that guy in the name of the revolution. We're friends! We get along and life goes on.

I'm just sick of the cowardice I see all around me. I'm sick of hearing people whine that they will never own a house because of whatever societal conditions. I'm sick of people worrying that a few rioters will turn a nation of 325,000,000 into the USSR. Stop whining and stop being scared. I forged my path to buying not just one house but two by my mid thirties. If danger comes, I'll protect my family because that's who I am, but I'm not going to let my life revolve around that imagined fear. People need to stiffen their upper lips, seize their own destinies, and carry on.

I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Does Kissinger go over why he did so many horrific war crimes?

• Haha 1