White Sox winner

Buehrle>Wood

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I love Tim Anderson,  but Jose is every bit the heatbeat of this team. He could still be not playing and no one would have blamed him. Instead he gets his clock cleaned and is back winning a game on hustle 48 hours later.  Love Jose

I hear you, but TA is the conductor. He is the reason they tied the game. He gets the entire offense going when he is on. Jose can carry the offensive, but he's more of a steady figure than he is a spark plug imo.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

And Abreu really is a guy that is so much more than the stats on the page. I can’t imagine many would disagree with that, but there are simply too many things Abreu does on a daily basis that can’t be measured by WAR or anything else.

I'm genuinely curious: so you believe a player can be more valuable than strictly the entirety of his actions on the field but that managers cannot?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm genuinely curious: so you believe a player can be more valuable than strictly the entirety of his actions on the field but that managers cannot?

I didn't mention anything Abreu does off the field, others did. 

I was talking about things that happen on the field of play that I don't believe can be accurately measured and given a proper rating across the entire league.  

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I didn't mention anything Abreu does off the field, others did. 

I was talking about things that happen on the field of play that I don't believe can be accurately measured and given a proper rating across the entire league.  

Didn't really answer my question. If you believe there are things that happen on the field that WAR doesn't measure surely, surely you are inclined to believe that there are limits to human inference and that there are perhaps things a manager does that cannot be measured in game and out.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Didn't really answer my question. If you believe there are things that happen on the field that WAR doesn't measure surely, surely you are inclined to believe that there are limits to human inference and that there are perhaps things a manager does that cannot be measured in game and out.

But where did I ever say managers couldn't be? You assumed that...I never said that. 

I'm not judging Abreu based on things I don't see or read with my own eyes. I don't do the same for LaRussa either. 

So what's your point?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

But where did I ever say managers couldn't be? You assumed that...I never said that. 

Your opinion on La Russa necessitates it. Anyways I'm not going to way philosophical anymore on the limits of human inference.  Go Sox and maybe just maybe TLR has some good qualities that players respond to beyond just a love for small ball and over using bench guys that we fans just can't see.

47 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Your opinion on La Russa necessitates it. Anyways I'm not going to way philosophical anymore on the limits of human inference.  Go Sox and maybe just maybe TLR has some good qualities that players respond to beyond just a love for small ball and over using bench guys that we fans just can't see.

You’re 100% wrong on what you “believe” my opinion is, but thanks for playing. 

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

You’re 100% wrong on what you “believe” my opinion is, but thanks for playing. 

Tony could captain this ship to a title and you'd say it was despite him.  You didn't even attempt to "play" you just took your ball and went home.  For someone that was very willing to ascribe things to Jose Abreu that can't be measured you sure are certain of something you can measure in a manager that currently happens to be managing while the injury decimated Sox are the best team in baseball by 1st order wins, 2nd order wins, 3rd order wins, pythag wins and heart pumping pure moments of joy this season. I can measure those things and I DGAF if TLR is old or drinks 10 drinks before noon or plays for one run too often or plays his subs too often for now -- prima fucking facie (I think that's the latin) this guy is doing an alright job.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I love Tim Anderson,  but Jose is every bit the heatbeat of this team. He could still be not playing and no one would have blamed him. Instead he gets his clock cleaned and is back winning a game on hustle 48 hours later.  Love Jose

10000%. To draw a hockey analogy, Jose wears the C jersey on this team and will wear the C on this team until he retires. Year in and year out we hear the people run their mouth about his age on this side of 30 and the dip in production in some months,  but he is playing harder than ever, he’s smarter than he used to be, and he consistently finds defensive and offensive nuances to add to his game. 

Tim Anderson wears one A on this team, and even though he’s currently struggling, I think Lucas Giolito wears the other A. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Tony could captain this ship to a title and you'd say it was despite him.  You didn't even attempt to "play" you just took your ball and went home.  For someone that was very willing to ascribe things to Jose Abreu that can't be measured you sure are certain of something you can measure in a manager that currently happens to be managing while the injury decimated Sox are the best team in baseball by 1st order wins, 2nd order wins, 3rd order wins, pythag wins and heart pumping pure moments of joy this season. I can measure those things and I DGAF if TLR is old or drinks 10 drinks before noon or plays for one run too often or plays his subs too often for now -- prima fucking facie (I think that's the latin) this guy is doing an alright job.

No, once again you are wrong and assuming things on your own that I never once said. But for some reason you have a rather large problem with me, or anyone for that matter, launching any type of criticism at LaRussa. Which is odd because you don’t see the double standard you continue to post. 

You yourself have stated multiple times that LaRussa has made some bad in-game decisions and you aren’t even a big fan of his when it comes to on the field decisions. You also have gone over the top in your praise of this roster and how much talent the White Sox have. So if you think LaRussa isn’t great at managing, and the roster is great...what are YOU judging him on? By your own account, it seems like most somewhat competent baseball managers could have this roster in first place...

Here is what you aren’t grasping, either because you don’t want to, or can’t figure it out. I’m not judging Jose Abreu on what he does off the field. I don’t know what he does off the field. I’ve read enough stories and heard enough quotes from players to give me an idea that he brings a certain amount of value to the locker room, but that’s not what I was referencing, at all. You inferred that, and that’s on you. 

On Wednesday night, Jose Abreu made 2-3 absolutely incredible plays at 1B. I’m still not a true believer in defensive analytics telling the entire story, and don’t believe a night like he had on the 12th will be accurately accounted for in player value at the end of the year. 

As Merkin put it:

Once again, I don’t judge LaRussa I what I can’t see. I judge him on decisions he makes, on the field, with this very talented roster....and I haven’t been impressed. If you can’t deal with it.....that’s a you problem. 

Now go home and get your fucking shinebox. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

No, once again you are wrong and assuming things on your own that I never once said. But for some reason you have a rather large problem with me, or anyone for that matter, launching any type of criticism at LaRussa. Which is odd because you don’t see the double standard you continue to post. 

You yourself have stated multiple times that LaRussa has made some bad in-game decisions and you aren’t even a big fan of his when it comes to on the field decisions. You also have gone over the top in your praise of this roster and how much talent the White Sox have. So if you think LaRussa isn’t great at managing, and the roster is great...what are YOU judging him on? By your own account, it seems like most somewhat competent baseball managers could have this roster in first place...

Here is what you aren’t grasping, either because you don’t want to, or can’t figure it out. I’m not judging Jose Abreu on what he does off the field. I don’t know what he does off the field. I’ve read enough stories and heard enough quotes from players to give me an idea that he brings a certain amount of value to the locker room, but that’s not what I was referencing, at all. You inferred that, and that’s on you. 

On Wednesday night, Jose Abreu made 2-3 absolutely incredible plays at 1B. I’m still not a true believer in defensive analytics telling the entire story, and don’t believe a night like he had on the 12th will be accurately accounted for in player value at the end of the year. 

As Merkin put it:

Once again, I don’t judge LaRussa I what I can’t see. I judge him on decisions he makes, on the field, with this very talented roster....and I haven’t been impressed. If you can’t deal with it.....that’s a you problem. 

Now go home and get your fucking shinebox. 

cheers brother I enjoy the fire.  You're always a fun debate which is why I engage.  And you reminded me I should play old Outkast more in my life. I think I agree with you on Jose's value as more than WAR, which is somethin I doubt I've ever had considered a few years ago.  I feel him turning himself into a very good defensive 1B says it all.  He's a guy all the other guys can learn how to be the best you can be from.  He's had some setbacks but has perservered and become better.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

cheers brother I enjoy the fire.  You're always a fun debate which is why I engage.  And you reminded me I should play old Outkast more in my life. I think I agree with you on Jose's value as more than WAR, which is somethin I doubt I've ever had considered a few years ago.  I feel him turning himself into a very good defensive 1B says it all.  He's a guy all the other guys can learn how to be the best you can be from.  He's had some setbacks but has perservered and become better.

🍻

• Like 2

Interesting stat mentioned on the post game yesterday: After a loss, the Sox are 13-2.  This is pretty significant and one of the reasons why they are in first place.  Sox teams of the past, even the recent past, had trouble getting going again after losses.

I still can't stop thinking about how damn good this team would be with Eloy and Robert.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Interesting stat mentioned on the post game yesterday: After a loss, the Sox are 13-2.  This is pretty significant and one of the reasons why they are in first place.  Sox teams of the past, even the recent past, had trouble getting going again after losses.

I still can't stop thinking about how damn good this team would be with Eloy and Robert.

WILL be.  😉

5 minutes ago, pcq said:

Matheny's beef is with the call not the review. The video was inconclusive, also the catcher was not complaining so who knows.

Gallagher's reaction leads me to believe he didn't think he tagged him.  He just laid there like a slug in the dirt.  If he thought he tagged him, he would have most likely been right to his feet arguing.

The home plate umpire had a great look at the play - it was right in front of him.  The review showed no conclusive evidence to overturn the call.  One could argue the call was "not overturned" vs. "confirmed", but I think he was safe.  It was a spectacular slide.