I'm finally off of the Podsednik bandwagon (long)

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
I didn't say you can't discuss it. I'm not one of those people who says you can't criticize players or the team. In fact, I said I'm not a big fan of his either. All I'm saying is that it's hilarious how everybody is piling on. Next game, he'll single, steal second and score the winning run and everybody will be in love with him.

There's also a reason Pablo is 32 and has never, ever been a regular for any major league team. And, a reason Mack is 30 and has never nailed down a regular spot in someone's lineup. If Kenny can trade for Chone Figgins or Crawford and not get robbed, God bless him. Seems a bit of a stretch that the Angels or Rays would trade those guys.

I agree completely. PODS is the best option in LF/Leadoff for 2006. Next year, no--can him. I also agree Mack and Ozuna are bench players only. Ozuna is putting up a fluke year and god bless him, but he's not a regular by any stretch of the imagination. Mack is a also a bench player. Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
Why does Podsednik deserve any respect? Statistics don't lie. The only thing the guy does better than other qualified AL leadoff men is steal bases and score runs, and both of those statistics are clearly overvalued, as one has a smallish chance of contributing to a victory and the other is the product of the hitters behind you.

everything besides home runs basically are the only thing that aren't improved or worsened by team members. it's a team game, him not getting home after he steals second isn't his fault...wtf kinda sense is that?

didnt bother to read this thread because i know soxnation has a ridiculous bias in favor of podesdnik...but he's been bad defensively, and is easily the most overrated player on this offense....Id have absolutely no problem if we let him go for next year

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
Can someone please explain to me why a team that is 2 games out of the lead in their division and is sporting one of the best starting staffs in the AL might be looking to sell?

Not saying it would or should happen, but supposing we were able to get rid of Pods in favor of Carl Crawford, that would be an improvement for this year. How is improving your team now akin to "selling"?

That's like saying the Red Sox were sellers in 2004 because they traded Nomar.

QUOTE(Damen @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Not saying it would or should happen, but supposing we were able to get rid of Pods in favor of Carl Crawford, that would be an improvement for this year. How is improving your team now akin to "selling"?

That's like saying the Red Sox were sellers in 2004 because they traded Nomar.

I was referring to the Angels giving us Figgins. Although it's interesting to note they're just as far back as we are.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
I didn't say you can't discuss it. I'm not one of those people who says you can't criticize players or the team. In fact, I said I'm not a big fan of his either. All I'm saying is that it's hilarious how everybody is piling on. Next game, he'll single, steal second and score the winning run and everybody will be in love with him.

There's also a reason Pablo is 32 and has never, ever been a regular for any major league team. And, a reason Mack is 30 and has never nailed down a regular spot in someone's lineup. If Kenny can trade for Chone Figgins or Crawford and not get robbed, God bless him. Seems a bit of a stretch that the Angels or Rays would trade those guys.

The part is red just isn't true, atleast for me it's not.

Also, if there's one thing you shouldn't be using in this discussion is the second part, Podsednik spent 10 years in the minors jumping from organization to organization and finally stuck somewhere in his late 20's. There's a reason for that as well.

Pods is a solid hitter in the leadoff spot - not too much available that would be a big upgrade there. Defensively, however, he's below average and I think he should be replaced next year. I'd doubt that someone will be brought in this year but a guy who really interests me a lot is David DeJesus.

He's young, plays well defensively and has an OPS of .881 (.804 last year). He could also spell Anderson against tough righties. I'm not sure what his availability is but he plays for KC so I figure there's got to be a chance.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
I'm not a big Pods fan by any means, but everyone forgets about the games he has helped win with clutch hits.

I count about 3 games out of 250 he has played for us. In other words, about the same number Timo Perez has. Correct me if I'm wrong.

QUOTE(SoxnGiants @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
Pods is a solid hitter in the leadoff spot - not too much available that would be a big upgrade there. Defensively, however, he's below average and I think he should be replaced next year. I'd doubt that someone will be brought in this year but a guy who really interests me a lot is David DeJesus.

He's young, plays well defensively and has an OPS of .881 (.804 last year). He could also spell Anderson against tough righties. I'm not sure what his availability is but he plays for KC so I figure there's got to be a chance.

Interesting name! I just looked up his stats on Fangraphs and almost every important offensive indicator he is trending up with! His walk rate, OBP, K/BB and ISO are all rising. He's in his prime at 27 next year and will be there for another 2 years a so. He has a career OPS+ of 110 and has an OPS of over .800 again this year.

I'm intriqued. If he's still got a few years left on his ARB clock, he'd be a very wise investment via trade. Somehow, he isn't getting much burn on the Royals.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
I count about 3 games out of 250 he has played for us. In other words, about the same number Timo Perez has. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, seriously, comparing someone to Timo? That's hitting below the belt.

You honestly think KC is going to trade within the division, give up a young promising player, and basically take a step down lower towards rebuilding (unless they are drafting another OF spect?) Ridiculous.

Pods is our LF/leadoff hitter this season like it or not. When we win the W.S. again and go into the winter thanking Pods for his services and letting him go, then we can throw some names out there that look good for us.

I think your looking too far into statistics rather than the betterment and placement he has on this team...don't get me started on his OF play I definately agree with you and for the tremendous speed he has out there he gets the worst reads and jumps on balls, absolutely pathetic...BUT like him or not he is the driving force of this offense and believe me once Scott gets going which he will in the second half we wont be having this conversation...Scoot IS our leadoff man like him or not he will come around

I think your looking too far into statistics rather than the betterment and placement he has on this team...don't get me started on his OF play I definately agree with you and for the tremendous speed he has out there he gets the worst reads and jumps on balls, absolutely pathetic...BUT like him or not he is the driving force of this offense and believe me once Scott gets going which he will in the second half we wont be having this conversation...Scott IS our leadoff man like him or not he will come around

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
The part is red just isn't true, atleast for me it's not.

Also, if there's one thing you shouldn't be using in this discussion is the second part, Podsednik spent 10 years in the minors jumping from organization to organization and finally stuck somewhere in his late 20's. There's a reason for that as well.

I know there's a reason for that. My point had to do with the Ozuna/Mack option. These aren't kids who haven't been given a shot.

QUOTE(SoxnGiants @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)

i agree, thats a name i tossed out there in previous threads as well...the problem is that he is relatively young, cheap, and good...and thats the combo KC is looking to keep, not to get rid of, but a package of good prospects would get it done....another name i like alot is eric byrnes

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
i agree, thats a name i tossed out there in previous threads as well...the problem is that he is relatively young, cheap, and good...and thats the combo KC is looking to keep, not to get rid of, but a package of good prospects would get it done....another name i like alot is eric byrnes

Has he been injured? He only has around 100 AB this season. It seems like he's buried on the bench.

Dumb question, but didn't our late summer swoon coincide with Pods' injury last season? Is it possible that he contributes an intangible to the bench that helps motivate our team to win games?

I'm sure there's a statistic for that somewhere, but I totally failed that class.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
Dumb question, but didn't our late summer swoon coincide with Pods' injury last season? Is it possible that he contributes an intangible to the bench that helps motivate our team to win games?

I'm sure there's a statistic for that somewhere, but I totally failed that class.

Shhhh....

Don't start bringing intangibles into this. It's stats or nothing. :P

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)

No, we all know Aron Rowand provides that intangible. ;)

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
Has he been injured? He only has around 100 AB this season. It seems like he's buried on the bench.

yeah he was injured for like the first month and a half

I've never been a fan of Pods, but his OBP is actually higher this season than last. He has driven in more runs. He has hit for extra bases a lot more often. He is on pace to score a lot more runs than last year. He is fanning a little more, and his defense has regressed to a few notches below Ralph Garr, but offensively he is a much better player this year. I wouldn't mind KW trading him for another LF, sort of like the Bernazard/Cruz trade in 1983.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
I've never been a fan of Pods, but his OBP is actually higher this season than last. He has driven in more runs. He has hit for extra bases a lot more often. He is on pace to score a lot more runs than last year. He is fanning a little more, and his defense has regressed to a few notches below Ralph Garr, but offensively he is a much better player this year. I wouldn't mind KW trading him for another LF, sort of like the Bernazard/Cruz trade in 1983.

He's also in a MUCH better lineup this year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
He's also in a MUCH better lineup this year.

Obviously. The point I'm making is he really was mediocre to sucking last year. Everyone talked about how he disrupted pitchers on the bases. If he really bothered pitchers that much, he would have scored more than 80 runs. Since he hit a homer to win a WS game, I will say he was mediocre last year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Obviously. The point I'm making is he really was mediocre to sucking last year. Everyone talked about how he disrupted pitchers on the bases. If he really bothered pitchers that much, he would have scored more than 80 runs. Since he hit a homer to win a WS game, I will say he was mediocre last year.

The THBT's did an informative piece on the effects basestealers have on pitchers and concluded--not much. I believe they said that Podsednik added about 2 net runs per year due to baserunning "intangibles"