White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
I'll go out on a limb and say an AL team. My reasoning is that it might be for a pitcher, and no AL team wants NL pitching. Soriano and Garcia/Vazquez for Zito? Iffy move for next year, but as long as we are speculating...

thats the anti-billy beane move

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
My garbage man told me that Tyler and Kenny have a handshake agreement that he would go easy on the Sox in 3 years when he's at the show. ;)

Three years? With the KC pitching staff, he could be their number 2 this year! :)

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh. If we're following the 2004 Red Sox line of thinking, I'm fine with that. You know, since they won the World Series and all ...

BUT THEIR FARM SYSTEM!!!

Jesus Flash, give it a rest already.

I'll say it right now. Trade every damn prospect on the farm right now if it gets us another title or a shot at the World Series

Oh I forgot. World Series aren't guaranteed like minor league pitching prospects. :rolly

QUOTE(Drew @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
The Angels guys on ESPN radio out here are already crying in their beer.

I'd like to see a Soriano package bring us Figgins and Shields. That would be epic. But not likely after this MacDougal deal.

A pen with Shields may never give up a run again.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
i like to fish i like to fish i love to fish i like to fish i like to fish i love to fish i like to fish i like to fish i love to fish i like to fish i like to fish i love to fish i like to fish i like to fish i love to fish

this new feature to soxtalk is quite intresting and entertaining.

Right on ! I've not been around here as much but Wow what the fish happened around here ?

If we trade for Soriano, there's no way in hell we're going to flip him for someone else. That type of trade would make no sense, especially after we got MacDougal today. There's no one that Seattle could realistically trade us that would make up for giving away a potential starting pitcher in McCarthy. I believe KW is going by the belief that if you can't upgrade your pitching, then upgrade your offense. Going from Pods to Soriano is an amazing offensive upgrade.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Let's do a "Cubs trade" to get Soraino w/o trading BMac

My proposal

Gload, Pods, Rogo, and a PTBN for Soriano :D

These of the sort of trades I like. :headbang Giving up McCarthy for Soriano? :puke

Where's the pseudo Williams out there willing to give us their best young pitchers for Garcia or Vazquez because they're out to "win now?" Where is he?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Any speculation on who we would be getting back?

Hell... I dunno. Ichiro. :huh

I'm just throwing crap and seeing what sticks just like everyone else at this point.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
thats the anti-billy beane move

So was signing Loaiza and an injured Frank Thomas. This move replaces Zito for a couple years (though not particularly well) and gives them an offensive piece for this year since Thomas is not always healthy.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
So was signing Loaiza and an injured Frank Thomas. This move replaces Zito for a couple years (though not particularly well) and gives them an offensive piece for this year since Thomas is not always healthy.

The Frank Thomas signing was the ultimate Billy Beane signing.

A lifetime OPS of .991 for, what, $1M?

Give me a break.

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
guys i've seen a few of you mention that Zito may be back on the block again. Is there a source for this, or just speculation?

Random speculation.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)

actually i believe the words billy beane used when he signed thomas, was "hes the perfect portrait for our beliefs".....and the loaiza signing also made sense because billy beane knows the value of a 200+ inning pitcher

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
actually i believe the words billy beane used when he signed thomas, was "hes the perfect portrait for our beliefs".....and the loaiza signing also made sense because billy beane knows the value of a 200+ inning pitcher

DAMN, da.

GMTA :cheers :cheers

Heres some more speculation. Maybe the trade for Soriano would have been done already if McCarthy was part of the deal. Could be Kenny's trying to dump Vazquez or Garcia and keep BMac with plans to move him into the rotation and flip Soriano for Zito, Schmidt, or Dontrelle .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Heres some more speculation. Maybe the trade for Soriano would have been done already if McCarthy was part of the deal. Could be Kenny's trying to dump Vazquez or Garcia and keep BMac with plans to move him into the rotation and flip Soriano for Zito, Schmidt, or Dontrelle .

FWIW, I specifically asked about Willis Friday night and was told no way jose.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
JUST IN!!!! WE ACQUIRED SORIANO FOR GLOAD AND TRADED HIM TO THE TWINS FOR LIRIANO, SANTANA AND TORII HUNTER (who has magically healed)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You deserve a suspension.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
BUT THEIR FARM SYSTEM!!!

Oh I forgot. World Series aren't guaranteed like minor league pitching prospects. :rolly

No, but there's more of a guarantee involving the production of certain minor league pitchers. Every season there's players you look at and know they'll produce. How often does a team have that guarantee with winning a world series?

MacDougal helps us more now, and perhaps the next two, but what about the following seven to nine with Lumsden? There's nothing wrong with thinking about winning now and preserving your team in the future. I like the idea of sustaining success with a strong group of minor leaguers capable of replacing current players.

If MacDougal didn't have injury concerns and Kansas City weren't in the division I'd be less reluctant to criticize the move.

Edited by Flash Tizzle