White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Is it possible we could flip him for Ervin Santana? But of course in that scenario, who goes to the bullpen? I dont know, I'm just throwing this out there.

its a good line of thought....i think the angels are the lone team that would give us valuable pieces, especially pitching wise, for soriano.....i still would think we would hang on to him though

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
i just cant see why....the only teams that are gonna want soriano are contenders, and no contender is gonna be willing to deal us (or anyone) pitching.......

Maybe we don't want major league pitching, rather minor league pitching/players to give Kenny the chips to make another deal and more importantly to ensure that Soriano doesn't go to Minny or Detroit.

I'm talking specifically about the Dodgers and Angels who got a zillion chips. Would the Angels deal Figgins and prospects for Soriano....I think yes. Or the dodgers dealing a guy like Broxton and some top pitching prospects for Soriano...I think yes.

The main hold up if you ask me is Bowden wanting Bmac straight up, Kenny countering with Broadway/Fields/Liotta or some sort of package like that. Bottom line is even if we don't get him, that has just raised the price that Detroit/Minny would have to pay to get him and if we do get him we now have a guy that could help our offense if we can't move him and if we do move him we could ultimately get a similar price in terms of talent in return (if not more) while being able to control where he goes and maybe get back some more valuable pieces (in terms of what we need since Fields doesn't really fit in here).

UPDATE:

KW was interviewed by Dibble and Kennedy on XM's "The Show", and said that there's no way that any pitcher off of the major league roster will be traded before the deadline. He said that he told BMac personally that he's not going anywhere.

"Brandon McCarthy is part of our present and future. He's not going anywhere."

Edited by TheHolyBovine

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
KW on the radio right now, says McCarthy is going nowhere.

Jim, can you put that into context?

I realize that is pretty self-explanatory, but, what exact question was asked of him? Exactly how did he use that useful little nugget?

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
But who do we flip him for? Soriano is an A+ player, I don't know who we would get that is better than or equal to him.

i can't see this deal going down without soriano getting a new contract. you're right, nobody is going to give us the same back for soriano. but i don't mind giving up mccarthy either assuming that we resign him

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Well then ... Pods and Fields for Soriano?

Yes or no, everybody?

Big yes but u have to give up more. They already have a 3rd baseman in zimmerman, and they need pitching.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
UPDATE:

KW was interviewed by Dibble and Kennedy on XM's "The Show", and said that there's no way that any pitcher off of the major league roster will be traded before the deadline. He said that he told BMac personally that he's not going anywhere.

hmm... well i just wasted two hours at work

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
It did make me feel a whole lot better.

I dont care if they give up Broadway. Hell I was one of the guys who hated us drafting him in the first place. If he can be part of a package that gets us Soriano, then he has done more than I ever thought he would for the sox.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
UPDATE:

FWIW, he said that to Ray Durham also... less than 5 hours later Ray was gone.

I hope he's telling the truth this time.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
YES! That is if we can sign him to an extension.

If not, is he worth the rental?

I'd still say yes.

(Also, I think Pods/Fields for Soriano probably isn't enough to get the deal done. Maybe another prospect or two ...)

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
KW was just on the radio saying he had no intention of trading BMAC. How true this is i don't know.

If you're of the Williams-believing ilk, I don't see why the move for MacDougal can not be ruled out as being involved in the Soriano deal.

Although MacDougal appears a perfect fit for what the 2006 bullpen is looking for down the stretch, I don't see any reason to believe he can't or won't be involved in another deal--perhaps the larger of the deals.

Jim, can you put that into context?

I realize that is pretty self-explanatory, but, what exact question was asked of him? Exactly how did he use that useful little nugget?

Ian it was in the context of a possible Soriano deal.

For those doubting KW's statements, one thing he's been very consistent on ... he intends to ONLY add to this team. Not trade pieces already on the team, especially pitching.

So now they've added Macdougal, gave up prospects. IMO if a Soriano deal happens, it will be a prospects deal. And I can certainly see the White Sox flipping Soriano (or Lee).