White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
it makes sense for a number of reasons

1. we all want pitching, but pitching isnt out there, so turn to offense.

2. soriano must NOT become a tiger

3. mccarthy is awesome but this teams shelf life ends in 2007, and mccarthy, while a big factor, figures largest post 2007, when we will likely not be as good as we are now (presuming of course we dont resign everyone)

4. if we make it through the ALCS, the series is ours. the NL is horrendous.

So, teams don't sustain success in baseball? The Atlanta Braves shelf life has extended over a decade. Oakland and Minnesot did well with themselves since 2000.

Yes, none are consistent World Series winners, but that doesn't mean every year the farm was sold to "win now." Considering our playoff spot if far from guaranteed, you don't know whether we would even make the playoffs following a trade. Wouldn't look to good trading McCarthy if we're not in the playoffs, would it? At least last season our birth was all but guaranteed (as we seemingly thought) around the trade deadline.

I also don't like the concept of number 2, where we're acquiring a player to keep another team from obtaining him. Sounds like something a four-year old would do. Concept number 1 is how the Texas Rangers run their ballclub. They sure as hell haven't won much.

It's ridiculous to ignore our pitching woes for an improved offense. I agree Soriano replacing Podsednik would be a welcomed improvement, but unloading Garcia and moving McCarthy into the rotation would benefit us more.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Score reported we just aqquired McDougal for 2 minor leaguers.

Two suspects for a fromer first-round draft selection with a proven amateur career and a million-dollar arm?

Thank you.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Here's what my buddy who's a royals fan told me about macdougal:

"he hit 98 on the gun saturday night, and his slider hit 89. he struck out two of the three batters he faced.

when he is on and healthy, he is very very good."

yeah he's good when healthy, but that's been a major issue, but Coop has turned people around before. Thorton is a good example

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
So, teams don't sustain success in baseball? The Atlanta Braves shelf life has extended over a decade. Oakland and Minnesot did well with themselves since 2000.

Yes, none are consistent World Series winners, but that doesn't mean every year the farm was sold to "win now." Considering our playoff spot if far from guaranteed, you don't know whether we would even make the playoffs following a trade. Wouldn't look to good trading McCarthy if we're not in the playoffs, would it? At least last season our birth was all but guaranteed (as we seemingly thought) around the trade deadline.

I also don't like the concept of number 2, where we're acquiring a player to keep another team from obtaining him. Sounds like something a four-year old would do. Concept number 1 is how the Texas Rangers run their ballclub. They sure as hell haven't won much.

It's ridiculous to ignore our pitching woes for an improved offense. I agree Soriano replacing Podsednik would be a welcomed improvement, but unloading Garcia and moving McCarthy into the rotation would benefit us more.

you are totally correct. I just think that Kenny might be taking the "go for broke, then rebuild" strategy as opposed to the "lets be good for 15 years"...hell the marlins have done it better than the braves, so its not as if that strategy lacks merit.

"As for Soriano's possible destinations. ... White Sox GM Ken Williams was unusually candid in confirming to the Chicago Tribune that his club was one of four finalists -- along with the Tigers, the Angels and the Yankees -- for him."

This came from MLB.com and adds some insight. Everything points to Kenny posturing but not actually following through on this trade rumor. It even seems like he's having fun feigning interest.

B-Mac is going nowhere. If any deal happens it'll be for a bullpen arm.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Here's what my buddy who's a royals fan told me about macdougal:

"he hit 98 on the gun saturday night, and his slider hit 89. he struck out two of the three batters he faced.

when he is on and healthy, he is very very good."

The guy has a lot of potential. The problem being he's hardly ever healthy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Score is also reporting the Soriano deal isn't as close as has been reported, although it is Offman so take it FWIW.

Offman just took a dig at ESPN saying 'it's not as close as another network is reporting..."

Ahhh ! I love trade rumors. Since we won the World Series . I've been pretty scarce around here. I'd come around and do a lil lurking , reading how Matt Thorton had no place on a major league roster and thinking its all so immaterial to me now. After all we are World Champs and will be until we're eliminated or win it again. I will not let anything spoil having that giddy feeling no Sox fan had experienced for 88 years.

But all that being said. When trade rumors come up I love it. So far the big blockbuster has us getting Soriano. The members of the organization involved so far includes Podsednik, Anderson, McCarthy, Fields and Broadway. Keep Pods ? Does he become the new centerfielder or a supersub ? Do we just rent Soriano or sign him long term ? Maybe we trade him since theres still another week left before the trade deadline? Can we possibly afford to just rent him while giving up the best prospects we have ? The possibilities are endless and the best part is it might never happen.

Or it could happen ! Just think of the lineup ! Damn ! Right now we're in a hitting funk, but clearly one of the best offenses in baseball. Soriano adds speed and power. What if the pitching suddenly does what it is capable of doing ? Damn , another World Series would be a walk in the park. Suddenly Buerhle's pitching like the MB of old , Garland continues his recent run of good starts, the Count stays dominant , Freddy G. pitches like everyone knows he can and Javy Vazquez ,no matter how you slice it is better then just about every other 5th starter. Oooh maybe we give up a starter and move McCarthy into the rotation.

Oh this is fun ! Sumone give me more idle major trade speculation.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
I believe that Levine just said that it was Tyler and someone named Cortez for MacDougal?

Obviously it's not the end all be all, but what is levine saying about Soriano? Interesting that Offman is saying it's not as close as being reported