The Brandon McCarthy-John Danks/Nick Massett deal

Steve9347

I am sure this is a bit premature, but I was thinking in the shower these morning (take it easy, ladies) about the BMac for John Danks, Nick Masset, Jacob Rasner deal.

At first, like all, I was skeptical. The local papers all reported that Kenny Williams was "in love" with Danks, and that's why he made this trade.

However, I think this may have been a veteran GM taking advantage of Jon Daniels, whom I believe is still the youngest General Manager in the game (29 at the time of the trade, if I am correct).

Brandon McCarthy had become "hot" as far as young pitchers go on the Major League Baseball circuit. But what is it that he does particularly well? He was a low draft choice, who had one incredibly dominant spring, and finished 2005 incredibly well en route to being left off a World Series Championship playoff roster. He has a low 90's (if that) fastball, a solid curveball, and an ok change, and gives up way too many homeruns (he's just straight f***ed in Texas)...

If John Danks wins the 5th starter spot out of camp this spring (which he's currently the front runner) and Masset keeps throwing the way he has, this could wind up being one of the best deals in White Sox history. Brandon McCarthy had trouble getting anyone out last season, and this spring is not pitching well either.

Only time will tell.

I was a bit confused at the time, but still kinda liked the deal when it went down.

I'm still a big proponent of the trade though. I think Masset and Dank's arms are worth exchanging for an iffy starter who we weren't really sure what we had in.

I agree with your assessment of McCarthy. I think he had a 89-91 strait fastball with no movement, a plus curveball, and a below average change up (which usually got hammered cuz it was always up in the Zone). The thing I dont think people took into account, which I think Kenny did, was the fact that the league probably caught up with BMac in 06. It would then be up to BMac to adjust and possibly develop a new pitch or two, which I think cooper was trying to get him to develop a 2 seamer and it just didn't work out. I like Bmac, but I think Danks has way better stuff, he just need at least a year to become a star. BMac was giving up way to many homers, his changeup was up in the zone, his curveball became predictable once scouted, and his fastball was average at best. Sorry but thats not gonna get the job done against your Maur, Mornea, Hafner, Martinez, contingent.

I think both teams will be winners in this deal. I think Brandon will continue to surprise people, and I think the Sox will be very happy with the kids they got in the deal. As for evaluating this deal, with as young of talent as is involved here this is one you have to look at 3-5 years down the road for any real answer.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
or Danks can flare out, Masset's arm can fall off, and McCarthy can harness his outstanding curve and change and continue to work on his 2-seamer, turning himself into a top of the rotation starter.

Or the Rangers team could be contracted and McCarthy ends up right back with the Sox.

It's been 3 f***ing months, little early don't you think?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
Or the Rangers team could be contracted and McCarthy ends up right back with the Sox.

I was projecting my thoughts on the fact that people overreacted to KW being in love with a player, when in fact I think it was Daniels overpaying for a less than spectacular McCarthy.

So no, I don't think its a little too early.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)

I find aliens abducting him far more likely

and yes it's way too early to be deciding anything as far as this trade is concerned

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
I was projecting my thoughts on the fact that people overreacted to KW being in love with a player, when in fact I think it was Daniels overpaying for a less than spectacular McCarthy.

So no, I don't think its a little too early.

The White Sox could wind up "winning" the trade, but it still could be bad. If the Sox have trouble with the 5th starter spot and McCarthy pitches well and the Sox narrowly miss the playoffs, even if Danks and or Masset have a better career than McCarthy, depending on how the team does during their time here could make the trade very bad. I noticed the search engine is turned off. I wanted to see if I could look up what people were saying about McCarthy in the spring of 2005. It has to be at least as good as what Danks supposedly is after 3 outings in spring training against minor leaguers. I'm very worried about the fifth starter, not to mention the other four.

I still like the trade. A 2 for 1...plus I never really believed in McCarthy. I guess time will tell. On a side note...I'm still not thrilled about the Freddy trade...but again...if Gio turns out as a solid contributor it'll pan out. Floyd...not real thrilled about.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
I thought we completely robbed them blind in that trade personally, and considering how "positive" (lol) I normally am, that should be endorsement enough for the deal. :)

I wish I could share your optimism.

What personally irritates me about the deal is how we only received back one legitimate SP prospect. From all accounts Masset is destined for the bullpen, and I don't believe Rasner is anything but a warm body to place in Kannapolis at the current moment.

Several 'X' factors will decide whether this trade benefits us or Texas. If McCarthy gains additional velocity to his fastball once his frame is completely filled out, we could be kicking ourselves for dealing a potential ace. It may not happen, but it's not out of the question, either.

For us, if Danks -- at worst -- matches McCarthy and Masset pitches well out of the bullpen, we obviously come ahead. Anything that Rasner provides in a major league uniform would make this an absolute steal. Rotoworld, as I recall, doesn't believe he'll ever reach the majors. Judging from his statistics in A ball I wouldn't exactly disagree with that assessment. This was obviously a case of scouts noticing something in him which stats didn't show.

The one guy who noone talks about is David Paisano. He's going to play in the states this season and hit very well last season. He's only 19 so we'll see if he'll turn into a legit spect for them and if he'll come back to haunt us as well.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
FWIW, the majority of Rangers fans think that we hosed them big time in that deal when you consider Danks is lefty, at least as good in terms of MLB prospects as B-Mac, plus we got Masset. That's how the trade was seen for the most part in Dallas, and I tend to agree with them.

You live in Dallas or something? Cause I've definitely talked to people who live in Texas who loved the deal from their end.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 05:05 AM)
You live in Dallas or something? Cause I've definitely talked to people who live in Texas who loved the deal from their end.

Everyone I talk to from Texas hated the deal big time, so I guess it just matters who you talk to. My best baseball friend is a Rangers fan and everything and he hated the deal with a passion. They were really high on Danks there and both Masset/Rasner have good arms.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)

Realistically, we did sell McCarthy rather low, whereas Daniels sold Danks and Masset (especially) with their value much higher.

If Danks/Masset/Rasner is what we received from McCarthy and his 4.68 ERA out of the bullpen, if he managed to produce a similar line in the rotation -- which isn't out of the question -- imagine the return? Yes, one less year available to another team; but still several years remaining before arbitration and four before FA.

Really, I never objected to the idea of dealing McCarthy. I just rather have traded him under more favorable conditions. Or a tleast a trade package offering more than what we received.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 12:09 AM)
Everyone I talk to from Texas hated the deal big time, so I guess it just matters who you talk to. My best baseball friend is a Rangers fan and everything and he hated the deal with a passion. They were really high on Danks there and both Masset/Rasner have good arms.

Exactly, it depends who you talk to.