Ozzie Extension

J-MAN

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
Just get the man a competent bench coach, please. I can accept Ozzie being around for the next 5 years as long as he has an experienced baseball guy at his side helping him with his in-game managing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I also still believe that Walker should be shown the door.

interesting timing with no team in baseball having a worse record.

I don't have big problems with Ozzie though, will never completely agree with a manager, but I thought this was his worst year. Anderson as DH? Even Hawk criticized him heavily during one game on defensive alignment as a team (Cle?) just took us to school on bad strategy. For Hawk to say it...

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Saw some previous pages talking about the Hall spring training thing. I have to agree with them, didn't think that was necessary with Mackowiak already on the team. Some others have mentioned Erstad, hell, worst case scenario, Thome can handle it. 1B backup was the least of my worries.

You've just hit the nail on the head. Those are all lefties, Hall was over there in case we wanted to stack the lineup with righties.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
This makes almost no sense. What was the purpose of this?

Does anyone know if there's a dollar value attached to this yet, i.e. that we're getting Ozzie @ a discount by locking him up earlier during a losing season?

It's also possible that we're trying to make a statement of stability in the organization, which on occasion is appealing to some FA's and players on our own team. Maybe. Either way, I probably would have waited until next year.

If Ozzie deserves an extension now, then he deserved it at the beginning of the season. Even if he is completely blameless for this season, he still hasn't proven anything. The only reason I can think of to give this extension now is to make a statement, some statement, which is a terrible way to run a team.

On AM1000 Mac, Jurko, Harry and Levineline were saying that JR is saying this is his last management team and that after Ozzie and Kenny he is riding off into the sunset and handing the team off to his son. Can anyone find a JR quote to this effect? Or is it just Levine throwing stuff out there to see what sticks? If JR said something to this effect, this is much more interesting than just the contract extension.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
On AM1000 Mac, Jurko, Harry and Levineline were saying that JR is saying this is his last management team and that after Ozzie and Kenny he is riding off into the sunset and handing the team off to his son. Can anyone find a JR quote to this effect? Or is it just Levine throwing stuff out there to see what sticks? If JR said something to this effect, this is much more interesting than just the contract extension.

There's been rumors for about 5 years now that JR's son was going to be taking over the team sooner, rather than later. Especially given 2005, it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen in the next 5 years.

I think they should have fired him in the middle of the World Series!!!111!one1

Some people need to take a deep breath, and reach deep to pull that copy of Moneyball out of their ass. A WS title in a wire to wire season, followed by a 90 win season? Not good enough. But I hear the first base coach in our -1 A rookie league club in Bufu, Canada is the next big thing! He's bound to take the bigs by storm!