Uribe Re-signed

DBAHO

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is PNC Park meant to be a hitters park or a pitchers park also?

I can't remember (I think it maybe a hitters park), but I'm just trying to find out if there's some potential for Wilson to improve his numbers if he moved to the Cell.

I think he's been used as a #2 hitter quite a bit as well, which is a need for this offense, unless you want Fields in the #2 spot again (which I certainly don't).

PNC plays pretty close to neutral with a bit of an advantage to pitchers (the left center field power ally is very deep which means more doubles but less HR.)

If anything Wilson's numbers would decrease with a move to the Cell. He doesn't have much home run power so moving to the smaller ballpark is only going to take away his doubles in the gaps and balls that may land in front of the CF at PNC are caught at USCF.

If you could acquire Wilson for next to nothing (or even offer them Uribe if they need a SS replacement), then yeah I'd look at that. If we gave up say a prospect though, the Pirates would probably have to pick up some of that contract.

As for Greene, he's been mentioned here before, but the Padres would also need a SS replacement obviously, so I don't see them trading him unless they get a real good offer.

Next to nothing sounds good for Wilson. I think Bay can be acquired for cheap too. Maybe target both anyone?

Greene I would assume would be replaced (if dealt) by a move via FA. Dealing Greene a coupel years ago maybe made sense b/c they had such high hopes for Bush but that has clearly failed. I thought they took some kid this year or last year in the first round to play SS. Maybe it was sandwich or 2nd round. Either way, he won't be ready for a couple years so unless they are willing to take a couple year deal with someone in FA then there is little chance I think that they move Greene.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
Wilson hit .409 the past 2 months of 2007. Didn't he get benched by the Pirates earlier?

He had nagging injuries throughout the year... all that i know of.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
Is PNC Park meant to be a hitters park or a pitchers park also?

I can't remember (I think it maybe a hitters park), but I'm just trying to find out if there's some potential for Wilson to improve his numbers if he moved to the Cell.

I think he's been used as a #2 hitter quite a bit as well, which is a need for this offense, unless you want Fields in the #2 spot again (which I certainly don't).

Pnc is a pitchers park. Wilson is best suited to bat 8th in the national league. He will get better pitches to hit in the 8th spot rather than the two hole. My guess is he would struggle worse than ever in the a.l. batting in the two hole. He is just too awful to think about.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
Next to nothing sounds good for Wilson. I think Bay can be acquired for cheap too. Maybe target both anyone?

Greene I would assume would be replaced (if dealt) by a move via FA. Dealing Greene a coupel years ago maybe made sense b/c they had such high hopes for Bush but that has clearly failed. I thought they took some kid this year or last year in the first round to play SS. Maybe it was sandwich or 2nd round. Either way, he won't be ready for a couple years so unless they are willing to take a couple year deal with someone in FA then there is little chance I think that they move Greene.

Bay is the face of that franchise, their only real good player (though he was pretty bad last year) and under contract at a very reasonable price for the next 2 years, he's not going be "cheap" as a matter of fact he'll be pretty "expensive" IMO. There's no reason I can think of for them to trade away their best player for a less than impressive package.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
How about having no speed? No power? Very little ability to walk? Bad range? A weaker throwing arm than some people on this board?

Sure, he gets quite a few singles, but he doesn't do anything else incredibly well, and on top of that he's been hurt for stretches of time the past 2 years.

But no, he's a .300 hitter, welcome to the team Savior Eckstein. :stick

so you'd take a guy with no speed, power, no ability to walk, be an inning killer, with above average range and arm instead?

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
so you'd take a guy with no speed, power, no ability to walk, be an inning killer, with above average range and arm instead?

You mean Khalil Greene? Oh god yes, 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

If you mean Uribe, I would because there's no long term commitment. Eckstein's a better player, but he also costs more and has a long-term obligation.

I seriously would rather have Andy Gonzalez at SS than David Eckstein, because they're saving money and the club would know that it's putting an embarrassing product on the field.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
That's how badly I wish Eckstein to stay away from the White Sox.

He's not going to cost that much and he's certainly not going to require a lot of years. No he's not the best player in the world but he's not the worst either. I know a lot of people around here dismiss batting average but at least he can hit the damn ball. At this point, I just want to have some players who can plug some holes, make contact, just have the chance to get on base. Also(this is where most disagree with me), I really don't think he's a bad defensive player, imo he's about average.

Hell, I might be the only one but I really wouldn't mind Eck on this team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
He's not going to cost that much and he's certainly not going to require a lot of years. No he's not the best player in the world but he's not the worst either. I know a lot of people around here dismiss batting average but at least he can hit the damn ball. At this point, I just want to have some players who can plug some holes, make contact, just have the chance to get on base. Also(this is where most disagree with me), I really don't think he's a bad defensive player, imo he's about average.

Not minding Eck might be it. I full envision Eckstein getting something like 3-4 years at $7-8 mill per, and that's way too much Eckstein for me.

Some people would boycott the White Sox if they signed Barry Bonds; I boycott the White Sox if they sign David Eckstein

(joking...I'd just be as pissed off as possible)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)

A player with an arm as weak as Eckstein's is not capable of being an above average defender at short. If you can't make the set throw from deep in the hole then you're nothing more than an average defender, assuming of course he can do everything else well. (which I don't think he can)

He's a poor defender who's body is beginning to fall apart on him, he's going to get at least 3 years and $6M-$8M a year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:01 PM)
Not minding Eck might be it. I full envision Eckstein getting something like 3-4 years at $7-8 mill per, and that's way too much Eckstein for me.

Some people would boycott the White Sox if they signed Barry Bonds; I boycott the White Sox if they sign David Eckstein

(joking...I'd just be as pissed off as possible)

If he gets 7-8, I don't want any part of him either. I highly doubt he gets that much(yes, even with the news of this Vizquel disaster).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
If he gets 7-8, I don't want any part of him either. I highly doubt he gets that much(yes, even with the news of this Vizquel disaster).

In a market where a 42 year old SS coming off a year with a .305 OBP with no power can get $5.5 million, if Eckstein can't get $7-8 million, would you really want him?

Its apparent to me the White Sox should exercise Uribe's option. It really makes no sense to trade for someone to replace him who isn't substantially better than him, and makes more money than him. He will be playing for a contract. Hopefully he won't have any off the field issues like that shooting and his mother's health this past year, not that should be used for an excuse because he had a lot of the same offensive woes the previous 2 seasons. If Greg Walker is the poison that a lot of people around here say he is, it doesn't matter who they replace him with because he will ruin them too.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
In a market where a 42 year old SS coming off a year with a .305 OBP with no power can get $5.5 million, if Eckstein can't get $7-8 million, would you really want him?

I think you are over simplifying vizquels worth just a little bit there. Obviously, they see this year as a fluke.

To answer your question, yes, I would, because it would be better than getting him for more, and it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with him.

Edited by max power