Uribe Re-signed

DBAHO

If the Sox sign Eckstien and trade for Damon, they may be the most un-watchable team in the league. You would think KW knows better than to rely on old speed, grinder types,with no arms after the year Pods and Erstad just had. Damon is worthless. Hell, they might as well re-sign Pods since he'd cost about 9 million less and you'll be getting the same production out there. I still can't believe there's any interest at all in Eckstein. I've neve seen a SS have to wind up to get the ball to 1b until i stumbled upon a Cardinals game.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked Eckstein as a player but I believe in the saying "Old shortstops never win". The Eck is going to be 33 next year. The last shortstop on a WS champion who was that old was Larry Bowa in 1980 at age 35. Next was Maury Wills at 33 in 1965. The SS is traditionally the best athlete on the team, if David Eckstien at 33 is your best athlete, you are in trouble.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
I've always liked Eckstein as a player but I believe in the saying "Old shortstops never win". The Eck is going to be 33 next year. The last shortstop on a WS champion who was that old was Larry Bowa in 1980 at age 35. Next was Maury Wills at 33 in 1965. The SS is traditionally the best athlete on the team, if David Eckstien at 33 is your best athlete, you are in trouble.

Wow, that is a crazy stat.

QUOTE(Lemon_44 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:46 PM)
If the Sox sign Eckstien and trade for Damon, they may be the most un-watchable team in the league. You would think KW knows better than to rely on old speed, grinder types,with no arms after the year Pods and Erstad just had. Damon is worthless. Hell, they might as well re-sign Pods since he'd cost about 9 million less and you'll be getting the same production out there. I still can't believe there's any interest at all in Eckstein. I've neve seen a SS have to wind up to get the ball to 1b until i stumbled upon a Cardinals game.

Last year's team was pretty unwatchable after May.

Bay is the face of that franchise, their only real good player (though he was pretty bad last year) and under contract at a very reasonable price for the next 2 years, he's not going be "cheap" as a matter of fact he'll be pretty "expensive" IMO. There's no reason I can think of for them to trade away their best player for a less than impressive package.

Definately "cheap" isn't the word I should've used. "Cheaper" is what should've been plugged in there. He is coming off his worst year and has injuries all over the place.

Everything I have seen as far as Pirates news indicates they may look to deal him. So the "no reason to trade their best player" is definately being considered. And I think poor performance (worst career year), injury (both knees), age (29 or 30)are some reasons to deal a guy like Bay.

Also after next season, he has one year left. The pirates know they aren't going to keep him so why take the risk of letting his stock further drop? They will most likely deal him at the deadline next season anyways?

If they are truly looking to move him, I think it will cost us but not to the extent that it may have one year ago. I'd say he could be had for a couple good prospects or a good proven MLB arm. Maybe someone to take Morris's contract even?

It's all in the eyes of their ballclub. Sure he is cheap for us, but for a team like Pittsburg and how they run things...not so much. They've got to make moves and if moving Bay can bring in somethings to help out in a couple years when all that talent they have brewing gets up to the majors then why not?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:16 PM)
Its apparent to me the White Sox should exercise Uribe's option. It really makes no sense to trade for someone to replace him who isn't substantially better than him, and makes more money than him. He will be playing for a contract. Hopefully he won't have any off the field issues like that shooting and his mother's health this past year, not that should be used for an excuse because he had a lot of the same offensive woes the previous 2 seasons. If Greg Walker is the poison that a lot of people around here say he is, it doesn't matter who they replace him with because he will ruin them too.

Lets give it a rest on the he will be playing for a contract as motivation, and the rest of the excuses. He has enough history in the majors to prove the hitter he is. He is who he is. The talent is there, sure. The knock on him in the Rockies organization is talented, but lazy. Here we are years later, and we have the same BA, the same undisciplined approach, and now a new wrinkle a problem with keeping a fork filled with food from repeatedly entering his mouth. 5 million dollars for good defense, and horrible BA. Its like we have Jose Valentin with a bit better defense.

I hope we can improve the SS position and ditch this guy.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
Definately "cheap" isn't the word I should've used. "Cheaper" is what should've been plugged in there. He is coming off his worst year and has injuries all over the place.

Everything I have seen as far as Pirates news indicates they may look to deal him. So the "no reason to trade their best player" is definately being considered. And I think poor performance (worst career year), injury (both knees), age (29 or 30)are some reasons to deal a guy like Bay.

Also after next season, he has one year left. The pirates know they aren't going to keep him so why take the risk of letting his stock further drop? They will most likely deal him at the deadline next season anyways?

If they are truly looking to move him, I think it will cost us but not to the extent that it may have one year ago. I'd say he could be had for a couple good prospects or a good proven MLB arm. Maybe someone to take Morris's contract even?

It's all in the eyes of their ballclub. Sure he is cheap for us, but for a team like Pittsburg and how they run things...not so much. They've got to make moves and if moving Bay can bring in somethings to help out in a couple years when all that talent they have brewing gets up to the majors then why not?

I never said that. I'm sure they will trade him sometime in the next year and a half. What I said was he will not be traded for anything less than a very good crop of players not just "good prospects" or a single "proven MLB arm" he'll be dealt for a young major league ready starting pitcher and another B+/A- prospect. He's put up a .900 OPS or better for the past 4 years or so, one down year from a guy in his late 20's is not going to make the Pirates deal him away for anything the Sox are offering.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)

We might as well call up that 16 year old we signed then...

And I thought Vizquel could be had for 1 year at 2-3M.

Wow did Brian Sabean overpay or what.

A trade could be the best scenario. Certainly would rather Wilson instead of Eckstein for the same sort of contract.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
What's weird is, it seemed like the club had one of the best benches in baseball in 2006 - Mack, Ozuna, Cintron, Gload and Alomar. But with Ozuna's injury, Gload gone, Mack being traded, Alomar replaced by Hall and Cintron inexplicably falling apart... they suddenly had one of the worst benches in baseball in 2007 with the likes of Gonzalez, Hall, Terrero, Molina, etc.

There's not a legitimate major league hitter on the bench in either 2006 and, indeed, it was worse in 2007. Mack was the best of the bunch.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Lets give it a rest on the he will be playing for a contract as motivation, and the rest of the excuses. He has enough history in the majors to prove the hitter he is. He is who he is. The talent is there, sure. The knock on him in the Rockies organization is talented, but lazy. Here we are years later, and we have the same BA, the same undisciplined approach, and now a new wrinkle a problem with keeping a fork filled with food from repeatedly entering his mouth. 5 million dollars for good defense, and horrible BA. Its like we have Jose Valentin with a bit better defense.

I hope we can improve the SS position and ditch this guy.

At least you're blaming him and not Walker. Farmio said he's pretty sure he's coming back.

I never said that. I'm sure they will trade him sometime in the next year and a half. What I said was he will not be traded for anything less than a very good crop of players not just "good prospects" or a single "proven MLB arm" he'll be dealt for a young major league ready starting pitcher and another B+/A- prospect. He's put up a .900 OPS or better for the past 4 years or so, one down year from a guy in his late 20's is not going to make the Pirates deal him away for anything the Sox are offering.

I guess I messed up...I interpreted this "There's no reason I can think of for them to trade away their best player for a less than impressive package." and just didn't finish it...However, you can still apply my response to it if you'd like.

Age, Injry, bad year all are reasons they may not get that impressive package they want.

The more I think about it and the more I look at our "real" options, the more I become ok with Uribe's option being picked up.

I don't want anyone else thats in the FA market. I don't want to make a deal for Furcal or Greene unless it costs us nothing.

The only positive I see about Uribe going is that I believe he is a B player so if we replace him with someone else equally as bad, we will get some compensation picks. How Uribe ended up in the top 20% for 3rd, 2nd, and SS is beyond me, but I am ok with it.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
I really thought we were going to hear something today. Guess not.

If Kenny can't pull off a deal by tomorrow night, is it a given Uribe is back?

I'd say that's a good bet.

If they don't deal for a SS, then I think Uribe's option gets picked up for sure.

If they don't pick up the option, teams will know the Sox are dealing from desperation and the price for any SS goes way up.

Or they have to pick up whichever FA is out there, no matter if they're good or not, and who knows if they'll cost more than Juan would have.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
There's not a legitimate major league hitter on the bench in either 2006 and, indeed, it was worse in 2007. Mack was the best of the bunch.

Mack, Ozuna and Gload are all legitimate major league hitters. Unfortunately, the 2007 team was without 2 of those, and only had Mack for part of the season.

id pull the trigger on gio and contreras still if we could land him easily....especially we dont have to pay any of joses deal....obviously though the orioles didn't want that last year, and they wont this year, but i think id still do garland and gio for tejada...that article makes it sound like tejadas 06 was worse than his 05 year, when in fact it was maybe his best career year....and while is slugging has dropped...his obp increased from 05 to 06, and while it decreased last year it was still higher than it was in 05

Edited by daa84