Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
It could well be great for them winning another title.

But it's certainly no guarantee like so many people here seem to think it is.

Why is it that if the White Sox acquired D-Train for 1/2 of its farm system, we'd have people whining about how KW acquired a pitcher near FA who put up a >5 ERA last year in the weak NL, but this Tigers team is going to dominate with him!!!

I don't think anyone is scare of Willis...it's Miggy they are scared of.

Dontrelle becomes a middle of the rotation, maybe 4th starter for the Toilet now...much less expectations than being the ace he was tabbed to be 2 years ago. He'll suck in the AL next year...he's a one trick pony, has medicore at best secondary stuff and is going to the American league (although his home games are very pitcher friendly).

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Yeah, I saw that one.

I guess I just don't buy this rumor anymore than the other. Mlb.com is reputable, but if the deal was all but finalized this afternoon, why would they plant an article about the White Sox at 5 pm? It doesn't add up...

all the sox articles about cabrera have been pulled down, if you check :)

Detroit is retarded to add in that many players. MCab is a good haul, Willis will get lit up in the AL central and they would have been better off keeping Miller instead of taking Dontrelle. I still think this is rumor fodder. It was said in ESPN that the White Sox have an announcement coming up tonight.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
I am not saying the asking price is too much, in fact, I am saying the complete opposite in terms of talent alone(great deal for the Sox). However, you win championships with pitching and in most cases pitching that you develop. I am not saying that Danks or Gio are going to be future aces, but they project to be key members of the Sox rotation next year. The Sox currently have Danks, Gio, Broadway, Floyd, and Egbert fighting for 2 spots. Having 5 decent options will give the Sox a better chance of finding 1-2 guys that can be solid starters at the major league level(classic law of averages). Furthermore, it gives them options if the 1st or 2nd guy they pick doesn't pan out. By trading away 2-3 of these guys you are essentially putting all your eggs in one basket and saying that the 2 guys that are left after this trade are the #4 and #5 starters, and if they don't pan out than the Sox are out of luck and in for a long season(no matter how many runs they score).

Finally, you have to factor in the contract that Cabrera will likely get. If a 32 year old Hunter is worth 18M/yr, than how much is a 26 year old Cabrera going to be worth 2 years from now? 25M/yr? 30M/yr? Unless the Sox have the payroll of the Yankees or Red Sox, they can't afford to have 1/5th of their payroll tied up in one player. Texas proved that point after they signed ARod, who is probably a better all around player than Cabrera. Who many winning seasons did ARod produce in Texas, yet alone playoff teams?

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that fans are often blinded by the prospects of getting a great player, and they tend to throw logic by the wayside. If you are interested in watching a great player on a daily basis, than by all means encourage a trade for Cabrera that includes 2/5th of the Sox projected rotation. If you are interested in watching the Sox make another ran at a championship, than be happy that the Sox will likely not land Cabrera and hope that KW has a couple solid moves left in his pocket to address the remaining weaknesses(ala 2005).

We were a 70ish million dollar team in 05, that had to flip guys like Lee to have financial flexibility to get multiple players. We are now a 100+ million dollar team. Please dont compare the two teams, or use the reasoning well it worked in 05 so it will work in 08. Times are different, and we are not a mid market team. I will state that the sum of the parts we would of given up, will never account the for impact that Cabrera will have in his lifetime. You can build a championship around Cabrera. We won in 05 on outstanding pitching, and getting hot with our bats in the postseason. With the current team and the addition of Cabrera to a potent Detroit offense. I dont see how we compete and get into the playoffs. You might as well just rip it apart and start over.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
That's a really funny sentence -- "Your rivals have traded for Miguel Cabrera -- who you gonna call? CHRIS BURKE!"

Maybe we should bring in WIDGER

Heheh...that was kinda my point to be a funny jackass. I'm kinda like the rest, just frustrated we couldn't get a deal done, but the other people have more talent to part with than we do.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Yeah, I saw that one.

I guess I just don't buy this rumor anymore than the other. Mlb.com is reputable, but if the deal was all but finalized this afternoon, why would they plant an article about the White Sox at 5 pm? It doesn't add up...

Gammons has it on the winter meetings blog on espn.com.

Why is it that if the White Sox acquired D-Train for 1/2 of its farm system, we'd have people whining about how KW acquired a pitcher near FA who put up a >5 ERA last year in the weak NL, but this Tigers team is going to dominate with him!!!

Its not so much Willis, I see him as a good #4 starter, with potential to be a #3, maybe in a career year he'll regain that #2 status.

But they got MIGGY!! He'll add more offense to an offensive laden team. THat will jsut add to more wins. Plus they are very balanced on offense, tehy have a knack for scoring with 2 outs also, very impressive in my mind.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Detroit is retarded to add in that many players. MCab is a good haul, Willis will get lit up in the AL central and they would have been better off keeping Miller instead of taking Dontrelle. I still think this is rumor fodder. It was said in ESPN that the White Sox have an announcement coming up tonight.

Link?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 07:23 PM)

rock whered you hear that...espn as in the tv station or internet site

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)

Where? Is there a link? Or was it on ESPN?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
[/b]

We were a 70ish million dollar team in 05, that had to flip guys like Lee to have financial flexibility to get multiple players. We are now a 100+ million dollar team. Please dont compare the two teams, or use the reasoning well it worked in 05 so it will work in 08. Times are different, and we are not a mid market team. I will state that the sum of the parts we would of given up, will never account the for impact that Cabrera will have in his lifetime. You can build a championship around Cabrera. We won in 05 on outstanding pitching, and getting hot with our bats in the postseason. With the current team and the addition of Cabrera to a potent Detroit offense. I dont see how we compete and get into the playoffs. You might as well just rip it apart and start over.

The big success the White Sox had in 2005 was they beat the crap out of their division. Its not that easy anymore.

Congratulations Balta!! You have just achieved your SoxTalk.com degree!! Another graduate that sees the delusional masses on here.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
rock whered you hear that...espn as in the tv station or internet site

it was on the radio and someone said it was a blurb on espn hd, maybe we thought we had him, then the Tigers upped their initial deal to block it.

I think we sign Andruw Jones in the next few hours though.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
it was on the radio and someone said it was a blurb on espn hd, maybe we thought we had him, then the Tigers upped their initial deal to block it.

It actually was part of the article that started this thread. I have a feeling that "announcement" has been canceled. It wouldn't surprise me Detroit saw the White Sox about to get Cabrera so they upped their offer. Its a risk, but a 24 year old who hits like that is going to be around awhile.

Edited by Dick Allen

Miguel Cabrera-3B-Marlins Dec. 4 - 6:21 pm et

MLB.com and ESPN are both reporting that the Tigers and Marlins are on the verge of a deal that would send Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit.

The Marlins would get Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and four more players. We're guessing Miller would slot right into their rotation, and he should improve upon what Willis did last season. Maybin could really use one more year in the minors, but the Marlins have a huge hole in center field and could let him fill it immediately. There's no word who else is included in the deal, but possibilities are RHP Dallas Trahern, RHP Eulogio De La Cruz, 1B Jeff Larish, 2B Scott Sizemore and INF Michael Hollimon. Hollimon, if picked up, would be an immediate infield option. The Marlins could use him at second and move Dan Uggla to third.

Source: MLB.com

Maybin + Miller + another prospect is better than anything we have to offer.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)

I would take signing Jones over trading some ridiculous package for Cabrera, but if it was for the package mentioned...well, that would have been fine by me...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
It actually was part of the article that started this thread. I have a feeling that "announcement" has been canceled.

Maybe we can entice them with Broadway, the guy we drafted because he would be quick to the majors and be a trading chip for a team going for a championship.