CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
Am I the only who thinks that KW is going to seriously undervalue Crede and give him away for a guy like this or that guy Cain in San Fran.

IMHO, a team that wants to win now and needs a third baseman should give up a lot more then that. Joe is provin to be healthy and mobile. Sure he's a one year rental, but if you're in a win now mode you're getting a defensive stud wh ocan hit 30 HR's.

Maybe I overvalue Joe but Joe is at least worth a good #3 starter or 2-3 very good propsects with one being a can't miss prospect.

There's zero reason to trade Crede for an injured emergency starter...unless you're an idiot. The Sox have a chance to shore up their rotation or get some depth in the minors in case some of these older guys break down.

Don't screw this up Kenny!!!!!!

Bob

I don't know about that and I don't know what the White Sox have his value set at, but I believe this board is undervaluing him. I don't think he's worth a can't miss prospect though.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
That's exactly what I meant. Thank you for the correction.

Bob

I think this board is underestimating what its going to take to pry Crede away from KW at least now. The White Sox don't like to risk many dollars and they guaranteed Crede $5.1 million when they could have simply let him walk away. I don't think they would risk $5.1 million in order to hopefully pick up an average prospect or 2. If Crede plays half a season and the Sox are out of it, then they might do a trade like that, but I would be shocked if it doesn't take some legitimate talent to get Crede right now.

Am I the only who thinks that KW is going to seriously undervalue Crede and give him away for a guy like this or that guy Cain in San Fran.

IMHO, a team that wants to win now and needs a third baseman should give up a lot more then that. Joe is provin to be healthy and mobile. Sure he's a one year rental, but if you're in a win now mode you're getting a defensive stud wh ocan hit 30 HR's.

Maybe I overvalue Joe but Joe is at least worth a good #3 starter or 2-3 very good propsects with one being a can't miss prospect.

There's zero reason to trade Crede for an injured emergency starter...unless you're an idiot. The Sox have a chance to shore up their rotation or get some depth in the minors in case some of these older guys break down.

Don't screw this up Kenny!!!!!!

Bob

Wow, that's ridiculous. No wonder you always b**** about KW's trades. How about Crede for Jon Garland?

Merge plz with the megathread

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
100 point difference in OPS. Thanks for so sneakily leaving that out.

.937 at home

.843 on the road

That's a monstrous difference, and now he's going to a monstrous stadium. I'd be surprised if he put up an .800 OPS.

I mentioned the 3 most important offensive stats. Nothing sneaky about that. YOU forgot to mention he walked 11 more times on the road vs. at home. Nice try, Mr. Sly!

There's been a lot of talk lately about the Giants possibly trading for White Sox third baseman Joe Crede. However, an NL scout who's seen Crede this spring isn't impressed.

"He has some holes in his swing, and he doesn't even look like an average third baseman right now,'' the scout said.

Brooks Robinson Jr is not impressing anyone yet.

Hot off the presses from Cheats blog.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
Brooks Robinson Jr is not impressing anyone yet.

Hot off the presses from Cheats blog.

Last spring when Rowand hit .171 the scouts said his bat had slowed and he couldn't play CF. Now he's sitting on a $65 million contract. I think its a little harsh to judge a guy on March 10 when he has 22 ABs, and hasn't played baseball in 9 or 10 months.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Last spring when Rowand hit .171 the scouts said his bat had slowed and he couldn't play CF. Now he's sitting on a $65 million contract. I think its a little harsh to judge a guy on March 10 when he has 22 ABs, and hasn't played baseball in 9 or 10 months.

The problem with that of course is that if it takes Joe an extra month or two to get back in to the swing of playing baseball again, then we've spent the first month or two of the season with a black hole in our lineup not named Juan Uribe, and killed off whatever last bit of trade value Crede might have had.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
The problem with that of course is that if it takes Joe an extra month or two to get back in to the swing of playing baseball again, then we've spent the first month or two of the season with a black hole in our lineup not named Juan Uribe, and killed off whatever last bit of trade value Crede might have had.

You read what the scout said, he doesn't have any trade value now. Why bother giving him up for nothing? As bad as he's looked, its not like Josh Fields is thriving right now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
You read what the scout said, he doesn't have any trade value now. Why bother giving him up for nothing? As bad as he's looked, its not like Josh Fields is thriving right now.

So if they both suck in ST the rest of the way, who gets the job in the majors? The one who hasn't played ball in 10 months and is struggling after a surgery or the one who was at least decent for your team last year?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
So if they both suck in ST the rest of the way, who gets the job in the majors? The one who hasn't played ball in 10 months and is struggling after a surgery or the one who was at least decent for your team last year?

The ones making money will play. The kids will be sent down. The only kid that stays up is the bantam weight track star. Oddly this was all predicted earlier in the offseason, and those who predicted it were told its early and that the season hasn't started. Yet here we are, with the kids going down and the money makers are starting. Woo Hoo.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)

I'd go with Crede and let Fields find his stroke in Charlotte. If he struggles and Fields hits in Charlotte, you make a change. I don't think it will come to that though. I really didn't think KW would risk the $5.1 million to give Crede away, but now I think by the end of spring training he will be gone unless Fields gets hurt, or unless he gets real hot and Fields plays his way on to the Knights. He'll say it would have be no fair to Fields and too much of a distraction.

Edited by Dick Allen

Sounds like Fields understands what is about to happen.

"Regardless of where I go, what happens, I have to get myself prepared to play because you have to produce in Chicago," Fields said Monday. "If I happen to go to [Triple-A] Charlotte, I want to produce there too. Right now I'm just trying to get myself ready."

I know Crede hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but what has Fields done to win the job either so far this spring? Both of them have hit like s***. For my money if Crede isn't going to be traded, I would rather see him playing third base because of his defense, to help this pitching staff. I still would rather see Joe get dealt, but if we aren't going to get anything for us, even if he isn't hitting, he helps this team.

If Crede is healthy he will stay here and play in front of Fields. I have heard media types most recently on the CSN Chicaog tribune show talk about releasing Crede and crap like that.

Fields could use a little more work in the minors to tighten his game. How exactly would this hurt him? If he wins the AAA triple crown then maybe I was wrong.

Also how does another year AAA affect his service time toward free agency? If we get Fields for an extra year while playing Crede this year I am all for it.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
If Crede is healthy he will stay here and play in front of Fields. I have heard media types most recently on the CSN Chicaog tribune show talk about releasing Crede and crap like that.

Fields could use a little more work in the minors to tighten his game. How exactly would this hurt him? If he wins the AAA triple crown then maybe I was wrong.

Also how does another year AAA affect his service time toward free agency? If we get Fields for an extra year while playing Crede this year I am all for it.

Service time for free agency is determined by number of days on the major league roster. Crede keeping Josh in the minors would delay Josh's progress to eventual free agency. As well as arbitration.

We would be lucky to get any player for Crede right now, I dont know how anyone is saying we should get a legit starter or prospect. He's not even the best 3B available on the market right now. Its ridiculous how much this board overrated Crede. We are going to be lucky to get a player that has even a slim chance at making the mlb roster.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
Service time for free agency is determined by number of days on the major league roster. Crede keeping Josh in the minors would delay Josh's progress to eventual free agency. As well as arbitration.

That was what I thought.

I am really struggling to understand why Crede at third if healthy is a bad thing as compared to Fields. There are plenty of players that are rushed and fizzle. While I am not sure but how many players fail because they were kept in minors to long......I guess there is no answer to this as it is all speculative.

A healthy Crede will be more productive this year then Fields.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
We would be lucky to get any player for Crede right now, I dont know how anyone is saying we should get a legit starter or prospect. He's not even the best 3B available on the market right now. Its ridiculous how much this board overrated Crede. We are going to be lucky to get a player that has even a slim chance at making the mlb roster.

I am not a Joe Crede fan and hope to see Fields soon but right now Crede IF HEALTHY is better than Fields. After this season if Fields improves his defense at AAA than I take Fields. I also belive Inge is not a better option than Crede. Inge is 3 years older than Crede and that Inge contract is not really benefical to anyone.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)

I agree. And when did Josh Fields become an all-star? A healthy Crede is simply a better player than Fields. It's not like the Sox would be sending a superior talent down to AAA.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
I know Crede hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but what has Fields done to win the job either so far this spring? Both of them have hit like s***. For my money if Crede isn't going to be traded, I would rather see him playing third base because of his defense, to help this pitching staff. I still would rather see Joe get dealt, but if we aren't going to get anything for us, even if he isn't hitting, he helps this team.

Fields hit 23 homers last year...why should he have to win the job? It should be Crede who has to win the spot from Fields and money should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
Fields hit 23 homers last year...why should he have to win the job? It should be Crede who has to win the spot from Fields and money should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Crede, if healthy, is a much better defender than Fields. Given our current rotation, that may be more important than a few extra dingers in a lineup full of guys who can and will hit HR's.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)

If the board overrated Crede, and I refuse to base how he will do this season on what he's done by March 10th after a few at bats and a prolonged absence, then what about KW risking $5.1 million on him? And his superstar to be replacement isn't exactly tearing it up. Why is a few at bats proof positive that Crede is washed up but the same results for Fields means nothing? All Fields has shown in the major leagues is an ability to hit homers. Nothing else yet. Crede sucks because of his OBP, well look at Fields.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Every Crede fan on this board is talking about Crede as he is 2006 Joe. He isn't. 2008 Joe is coming off major back surgery, has looked awful at the plate, and has committed 4 errors so far. There is no guarantee Crede is the same as he was in 2006.

I agree 100%. Hopefully one of them steps up so we don't have to choose the one that manages to break .200 at the plate and commit less than 10 errors in ST. Right now, the situation doesn't like great with either choice, but it is only March 11th.

I think I'd rather have near-GG defense, career mediocore hitter Crede than mediocore defense, good power hitter Fields. There's no guarantee we get either, though.

Edited by StrangeSox