Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
We're also the number one seed of the Maui Invitational, a tourney that includes OK State, Duke and U of I. I haven't checked the brackets but I hope MU gets a shot at U of I.

I believe both teams would have to win out to play each other.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since we're talking about our school's basketball here...

I've never been to a USD basketball game. And if I never go, I will not care, because it's D2 basketball (until next year, when it will still probably suck equally as bad).

Continue on with your discussion.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
ISU plays UNI at home, Drake and Bradley on the road, and possibly Missouri State in Las Vegas.

I'm going to be highly disappointed if we don't win those games. Need to start seeing a little improvement this year.

You guys wont beat Bradley, UNI should be down this year so tha'ts winnable and Drake still isn't good, also winnable. As usual though, you like to underrate the league, so we'll see what happens.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
You guys wont beat Bradley, UNI should be down this year so tha'ts winnable and Drake still isn't good, also winnable. As usual though, you like to underrate the league, so we'll see what happens.

Wait, I thought we were getting this awesome coach from the MVC who could turn around our program?

Or, he's overrated. One of the two. I'd love to see him pull off a year with less than double-digit losses.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
Wait, I thought we were getting this awesome coach from the MVC who could turn around our program?

Or, he's overrated. One of the two. I'd love to see him pull off a year with less than double-digit losses.

You've given him a whole one year before you've decided that's he's overrated? Quick trigger there my friend.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
You've given him a whole one year before you've decided that's he's overrated? Quick trigger there my friend.

If you remember, I've thought that was the case since UNI.

I just don't see him taking this program to a place it could go. I can see him making us top half of the Big 12, but I've got a hard time believing he can take us where Eustachy did in 2000. He's only brought in one recruit that is higher than a 3-star (Craig Brackins) and he got passed over and over again for a need (08 big) that was going to be a pretty big deal, and instead we've got Hawkeye retread Alex Thompson and friggin Clayton Vette. Brackins is the only one he's taken away from the "big boys" despite being on Colton Iverson and Tyler Zeller far before any of them.

That being said, I am a fan of the guards that have come in this year.

I just wish that I could actually like the guy we have as basketball coach. The way he said he was comfortable at UNI to come to Iowa State, and the notion that if he does succeed that he'll stay here is pretty ludicrous, IMO. It came down to the money to come to ISU.

Can someone please tell Brandan Wright he left to early and he's not ready?

Anyways, I'm excited that UNC is #1 in most polls, but I really don't know that they are better than Memphis. Memphis may be undisciplined, but they are ridiculously talented. Their backcourt possibilities are insane. Adding Shawn Taggert to Joey Dorsey and Dozier is pretty formidable in the frontcourt as well.

I would be fine if UNC never had to play them this year :-).

As for my Texas Techies. They should be a tourney team again. Knight finally decided he would recruit again and pulled in his best TTU class yet with several top 10 Texas players, and even added a solid transfer and a big man that sat out with injury. He has about 10 guys that can play, but will most likely settle on a 7-8 man rotation again.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
OMG My last year of High School, then SIU! Lets go Baby! Wes Clem, Green, and JBone got to step it up so we can get it done! MVC Kings! Soooooooooo Pumped!

How's Jon Janus' knee?

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
Can someone please tell Brandan Wright he left to early and he's not ready?

Anyways, I'm excited that UNC is #1 in most polls, but I really don't know that they are better than Memphis. Memphis may be undisciplined, but they are ridiculously talented. Their backcourt possibilities are insane. Adding Shawn Taggert to Joey Dorsey and Dozier is pretty formidable in the frontcourt as well.

I would be fine if UNC never had to play them this year :-).

As for my Texas Techies. They should be a tourney team again. Knight finally decided he would recruit again and pulled in his best TTU class yet with several top 10 Texas players, and even added a solid transfer and a big man that sat out with injury. He has about 10 guys that can play, but will most likely settle on a 7-8 man rotation again.

Is it Zeno....Burgess......................................and the rest of the team? Seems like Zeno's going to have to average 23 ppg for them to be good.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
If you remember, I've thought that was the case since UNI.

I just don't see him taking this program to a place it could go. I can see him making us top half of the Big 12, but I've got a hard time believing he can take us where Eustachy did in 2000. He's only brought in one recruit that is higher than a 3-star (Craig Brackins) and he got passed over and over again for a need (08 big) that was going to be a pretty big deal, and instead we've got Hawkeye retread Alex Thompson and friggin Clayton Vette. Brackins is the only one he's taken away from the "big boys" despite being on Colton Iverson and Tyler Zeller far before any of them.

That being said, I am a fan of the guards that have come in this year.

I just wish that I could actually like the guy we have as basketball coach. The way he said he was comfortable at UNI to come to Iowa State, and the notion that if he does succeed that he'll stay here is pretty ludicrous, IMO. It came down to the money to come to ISU.

Come on Heads, every coach follows the green. McDermott is a hard worker, I think you will see a better result this year.

But i still think Bradley wins. :D

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
How's Jon Janus' knee?

I was talking to him at the Homecoming dance and he said that he was doing alright. He was having a good time and dancing so i think that the knee is ok. But we'll see this weekend.

Is it Zeno....Burgess......................................and the rest of the team? Seems like Zeno's going to have to average 23 ppg for them to be good.

Thankfully Zeno is going to have plenty of help. Decensae White is ready to breakout with a greater freedom to shoot. Tech is relatively deep in talent at every position outside of PF.

Rizvic is back from his broken eye socket, but who knows what else he will contribute besides a 7 foot body. De Bem is a decently talented C that should step in and contribute about 9 ppg and 6 rpg.

In my opinion, the rotation will be broken down eventually to just...

Burgess, Roberson

White, Singletary

Zeno, Singletary

D'walyn Roberts, Cook

De Bem, Rizvic

Tech will finally be very athletic and relatively deep, for Knight standards at least. I know I will miss Jay Jackson just like I missed Ronald Ross.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
Come on Heads, every coach follows the green. McDermott is a hard worker, I think you will see a better result this year.

But i still think Bradley wins. :D

I just don't think he's what people hype him up to be.

An interesting tidbit on UAB basketball. The five players that were arrested about a month ago now have an 11:00 pm curfew for the rest of their college careers. Coach Davis basically put his team on lockdown and they will have to pay for that mistake as long as they are at UAB.

I'm sure the guys will find other ways to party, but them not being in bars should keep them out of trouble anyway. I can't remember who all five guys were, but I know Robert Vaden (IU transfer) and Walter Sharpe (Miss St transfer) were two of them.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 06:34 AM)
Going for that 1st-round exit 3-peat, I see...

Yep -- key being in the NCAA tournament. It's really too bad DePaul never gets the chance to go these days.

That's okay, though -- January 26th will get here soon enough.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
I was talking to him at the Homecoming dance and he said that he was doing alright. He was having a good time and dancing so i think that the knee is ok. But we'll see this weekend.

Shouldn't need him the next two weeks. Save him for playoffs, IMO.

Here ya go Greasy: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/col...%26id%3d3058441

9. Indiana at Southern Illinois, Dec. 1, ESPNU

Who scheduled this one? This is like agreeing to fight an angry snake in the depths of its favorite hole. Indiana newcomer Eric Gordon will get an eye-opener in Carbondale, and if Indiana isn't ready for a fight, Southern Illinois will win. No team in America closes out better than Southern Illinois. It's like a clinic.

I remember when I sat there at Huskie Stadium back to back years as a HS kid, watching NIU beat a bowl bound Wake Forest in 2002 and then Maryland in 2003 (who won 9 in a row after losing at FSU the next week) at Huskie Stadium and thinking the same thing that article says about Indiana playing at SIU, "what idiot scheduled THIS game?"

NIU of course also hosted and beat Iowa State in 2003, but such idiocy is no surprise out of the Cyclones (sorry Heads). :)

Edited by whitesoxfan101