College drinking

The Beast

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couple things, I'd like a thread for jim to talk about this bat collecting.

second off, I don't think you should go to parties if it's not your scene. I DO think you should go to cafe's, music clubs, and get involved in student groups on campus. Because a lot of what was said was true. What we learn in a classroom doesn't translate into a workroom environment. You should get involved in things where you are working alongside one another. Because frankly, if you enter the workplace with this "I'm better than everyone I have a girlfriend and gaming network, while they are all drunk assholes who don't care about anything but getting drunk" I can't imagine it will be good for the office team dynamic.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm cereal.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
haha I was at Iowa State this past weekend, I should've tried to find Heads to see if he was drunk or not.

I was Sunday afternoon.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Beastly, you clearly haven't paid enough attention to sorority shirts or you'd know that "Life is never wasted when you're wasted all the time"

Do people even remember what happened the night before if they are wasted?

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
second off, I don't think you should go to parties if it's not your scene. I DO think you should go to cafe's, music clubs, and get involved in student groups on campus. Because a lot of what was said was true. What we learn in a classroom doesn't translate into a workroom environment. You should get involved in things where you are working alongside one another. Because frankly, if you enter the workplace with this "I'm better than everyone I have a girlfriend and gaming network, while they are all drunk assholes who don't care about anything but getting drunk" I can't imagine it will be good for the office team dynamic.

See bolded region---Thank you for the post! I do go to Starbucks and if many of you have overlooked this---I am involved in groups, such as the radio station, the Daily Eastern News, and I am starting to get involved with the Catholic church more. I am also considering getting involved in the Government here as well as just refereeing at the gym since I certainly am qualified. (IHSA qualified in Baseball, Basketball, and Football.) I am working alongside people, AND I do not say flat out, "I am better than everyone" anywhere here. I will not rant about that, I will ask about more meaningful aspects about people's lives and will focus on the more positive things since it mainly will be about work.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
I passed out after four beers once. /end debate

At least you weren't like my roommate who couldn't open the door, walked towards the bathroom, threw up in his shirt and passed out in the shower butt naked. Then he came in and threw up while I was still awake and I was like, man, you're pathetic. I just left and went to a friends house, it really didn't matter much to me what he got himself into because he needed to face the consequences of his actions alone. Yes, I probably would have helped someone I cared about.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)

That's what the "Nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget" shirt is for.

Also, I don't know why Rowand44 is in this thread, he's not even 21, so he obviously has never had a beer in his life.*

*And by life I mean in the past 5 hours**

**Only like a 50% chance of this being true.

Depending on if you black out, and if you do, how badly you do, some don't. I have sorta blacked out like 3 of the past 4-5 times I have drank, but that's because I have drank in excess, have drank a mixture of alcohol, and have been pretty worn down when doing so. I also was drinking pretty fast too, which also leads to blackouts.

If you understand the above...i.e. knowing how much you can handle to get buzzed, drunk and blackout...you can be a responsible drinker. Or, if you can just know how to control yourself when you know/someone tells you are out of control, that also can play a big part in it.

Drinking is mostly harmless unless you yourself make it harmful.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 12:09 AM)
That's what the "Nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget" shirt is for.

Also, I don't know why Rowand44 is in this thread, he's not even 21, so he obviously has never had a beer in his life.*

*And by life I mean in the past 5 hours**

**Only like a 50% chance of this being true.

You'll be glad to know that this is the first time in a week I haven't been drunk. Monday's are kind of the off night cause everyone has things to do. Back at it tomorrow though. ;)

Your stories of your roommate reminds me of some of the things I saw as a freshman. I think you might accept drinking a little more when it is not about who can get the drunkest.

I read the first couple of pages in this thread, then abandoned it to say this to the Beastmeister:

Hang in there, man. You may not be the coolest guy on campus, but you have your morals and your integrity. As long as you can look yourself in the eye in the mirror every morning, you'll be just fine. Keep fighting the good fight and march to the beat of the drummer you choose. I don't think you'll have any regrets.

:cheers (root beer)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
I read the first couple of pages in this thread, then abandoned it to say this to the Beastmeister:

Hang in there, man. You may not be the coolest guy on campus, but you have your morals and your integrity. As long as you can look yourself in the eye in the mirror every morning, you'll be just fine. Keep fighting the good fight and march to the beat of the drummer you choose. I don't think you'll have any regrets.

:cheers (root beer)

Thanks man, that is what I really needed to hear.

Honestly, I think we'd all agree with YAS, it's just that i think blood got boiled by that instead of just saying you dont drink, you called out those who did and passed a lot of misinformed judgments about it. So that's what it comes down to - respect our decisions and we're more likely to respect yours ya know?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Honestly, I think we'd all agree with YAS, it's just that i think blood got boiled by that instead of just saying you dont drink, you called out those who did and passed a lot of misinformed judgments about it. So that's what it comes down to - respect our decisions and we're more likely to respect yours ya know?

I think that's a key here. There's definitely a "holier-than-thou" vibe coming through Beast's posts to me, and that's something that annoys me. Not as a drinker (it's been months since I've been drunk), but just in general. On the other hand, I have a friend who doesn't drink, but he also doesn't (outwardly, at least) judge everyone who does. He'll go to parties and have a good time. Hell, he's thrown some great parties.

Comments like "I don't want to ruin my relationship with my girlfriend" just don't make much sense to me. Hell, the way I met my current gf (of 3 years now, and living together) was at a serious of parties that we were both pretty drunk at. I've been drunk without her around, and she without me, but we've never done anything to hurt each other or even had the thought to cheat/ fool around/ whatever. The desire to do that just aisn't there for me and alcohol doesn't magically bring them on.

Edited by StrangeSox

Reddy and Strange ... I think what we have here is a guy that sees a bunch of drunken fools acting like a bunch of drunken fools and he's speaking his mind. What's lacking here on his part is a certain amount of tact, which he will learn as time goes on. In fact, you guys are teaching him this lesson in this thread ... and someday, he'll realize that.

Beastly ... I'm glad to help. I meant every word I said to you. Having said that, read the paragraph above and think it over.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
I think that's a key here. There's definitely a "holier-than-thou" vibe coming through Beast's posts to me, and that's something that annoys me. Not as a drinker (it's been months since I've been drunk), but just in general. On the other hand, I have a friend who doesn't drink, but he also doesn't (outwardly, at least) judge everyone who does. He'll go to parties and have a good time. Hell, he's thrown some great parties.

Comments like "I don't want to ruin my relationship with my girlfriend" just don't make much sense to me. Hell, the way I met my current gf (of 3 years now, and living together) was at a serious of parties that we were both pretty drunk at. I've been drunk without her around, and she without me, but we've never done anything to hurt each other or even had the thought to cheat/ fool around/ whatever. The desire to do that just aisn't there for me and alcohol doesn't magically bring them on.

Again, I don't want to come off as "holier than thou." That's the difference between your friend and I, he wants to be around that stuff, I'm not really into that scene so I don't want to be around it. This is not saying he is wrong, either.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)

I understand where you are coming from. It's just tough being a non-drinker in a community where alcohol consumption seems to be at a high level due to there not being a lot to do. I think, then again, I do not know this, but I think that there's a lot more partying here than at other schools.

I understand that analogy that Strange Sox presents. The thing is, my situation is a little bit different. Both the girlfriend and I aren't wanting to be around people drinking even socially, nor do we want to drink. I'm not saying this on her behalf or that "we" are one person. That's just how it is different for us, because I know that she knows people from a lot of places but just doesn't wish to be around people who are drinking. In my case, I agree with her.

And so, I will continue to pursue things that don't involve parties in any way and I will probably learn more as time goes on. I just have been frustrated lately with how things have been going on my campus, especially since I know what I want to do, and that is just game, play sports, among all my other hobbies and just live.

I appreciate all of your comments and will keep them into consideration. Soxtalk is definitely a great community and now that I've come back a little more wise and old, I come to see this message board in a different way. With that being said, I am very excited for our upcoming baseball season. Go White Sox!

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 12:23 AM)
You'll be glad to know that this is the first time in a week I haven't been drunk. Monday's are kind of the off night cause everyone has things to do. Back at it tomorrow though. ;)

if you say one more word your head is going through a wall.