So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
Owens was scratched today. They say its because tomorrow is an off day and they wanted him to have 2 full days off, but this is looking like a Pods rerun.

Yeah, I am higher on Owens than most, but if he's got on-and-off groin or leg injuries, his value is greatly diminshed. Not just in terms of stealing bases, but also beating out hits, and covering CF. Owens' defense in CF last year was, arm aside, actually surprisingly decent. If you take his range down though, with an already weak arm, that turns him into a liability.

If Owens continues to have issues, I think its best to shut him down for the spring so he can rehab it, and start the season in Charlotte.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
Someone may have pointed this out already...but this isn't true. Mackowiak was the starting CF on game 2 of the regular season that year. And the substitution pattern almost never stopped, no matter how many balls Mack missplayed, no matter how many times Anderson saved a game with a catch (Hafner's fly ball vs. Cleveland), no matter how much Anderson's batting improved in the 2nd half of the season, no matter how many times Mack said he was ill suited for CF. It was a platoon from day 1.

And while the whole platoon situation didn't work out well for Brian, I also think it gave people a bad view of Rob. He knew he stunk in CF, but he was still valuable as a super-sub. I didn't want to see him traded - a lefty bat who can play the corners and the infield who is a Sox fan to boot.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
And while the whole platoon situation didn't work out well for Brian, I also think it gave people a bad view of Rob. He knew he stunk in CF, but he was still valuable as a super-sub. I didn't want to see him traded - a lefty bat who can play the corners and the infield who is a Sox fan to boot.

Mackowiak was always very underrated around these parts. About an .800 OPS guy against RHP...he should have been the starter in LF the past 2 years with someone else taking over against lefties.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
The other flaw in his "logic" is what would BA failing in CF have to do with acquiring a corner OF in Quentin? I think BA can be a very good player, but injuries should be a concern. He gets banged up a lot. At least we know one thing, if the Sox don't win 95 games this year, its Brian Anderson's fault.

I know you have grabbed onto that sidebar detail. I should have never mentioned Quentin. He doesn't fit in the Cf arguement. I WAS WRONG TO MENTION HIM.

That still leaves us with Williams needing to replace Anderson because he failed. Then he had to replace Erstad because he failed. That left him with unloading three big prospects to get someone to play CF. All of which STILL have the common thread of Brian Anderson falling down on the job, NOT based on the 17 ABs in 2007 which you keep pointing to, BUT the HALF OF A SEASON FAILURE in 2006.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
It wasn't his fault he was placed out of position. Mack was a great addition to the ballclub. Because of the lack of depth in certain areas, he was forced to play a position he should have never been in. You can't fault him for that.

I agree. I felt bad for Mack (well, as bad as I could for someone making his $!!!). Seriously though, he did not belong in CF and never complained and did what he was asked to do.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
I agree. I felt bad for Mack (well, as bad as I could for someone making his $!!!). Seriously though, he did not belong in CF and never complained and did what he was asked to do.

Think about Pods in the 2nd half of 06, and how if we played Mack in LF and kept Brian in center. I think having Mack play Left and leadoff would of been better for the 2nd half of 06 than having a gimpy prancer out there not catching balls, not getting on base, and running in slow motion. Also remember for as bad as Brian was from an offensive standpoint, he and Uribe were neck and neck in BA up until Uribe's annual September dance.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
It wasn't his fault he was placed out of position. Mack was a great addition to the ballclub. Because of the lack of depth in certain areas, he was forced to play a position he should have never been in. You can't fault him for that.

I don't; I blame KW for that. I'd also blame Ozzie, but when something like that forces his hand, it's really hard to blame him, just like how it is hard to blame him for Erstad in CF last year and even to some extent Podsednik too.

I do hope to see Mack back on the Sox at some point in the future, during a time when he can be utilized properly.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
I know you have grabbed onto that sidebar detail. I should have never mentioned Quentin. He doesn't fit in the Cf arguement. I WAS WRONG TO MENTION HIM.

That still leaves us with Williams needing to replace Anderson because he failed. Then he had to replace Erstad because he failed. That left him with unloading three big prospects to get someone to play CF. All of which STILL have the common thread of Brian Anderson falling down on the job, NOT based on the 17 ABs in 2007 which you keep pointing to, BUT the HALF OF A SEASON FAILURE in 2006.

Erstad had an option for this year. He is the one to blame. Either that or Jerry Owens who obviously didn't show enough last year. Anderson also had a season ending injury last year. If it were all about him, KW would have been in the same boat this offseason wondering how the injury would affect him.

I supposed we could blame Frank Thomas for a screwing up the Sox as well. If he hit in 2005 like he did in 2006, Thome would have never had to be acquired and Rowand would have been in CF. Its ridiculous to blame a guy with less than a full season of major league at bats. With all the poor starts many good players have in their careers, this guy had the pressure to produce for a defending champ. Its not surprising his offense fell short.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)

I agree and I think most people in the know do as well. Mack took one for the team, by going and playing out of position. It made him look real bad at times and he knew it, but he did what was asked of him.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
I do hope that Brian Anderson makes the Sox take him up north and become the CFer this season. I love Quentin, but I could handle him in AAA/off the bench this year and next, so long as he's getting quite a few PAs between DH, LF, and RF. If Anderson does finally put it up this year and become a CFer, that instantly takes the OF defense from slow and among the worst in the league to one of the best units. Swish-Anderson-Dye looks like average to above average range in the corners with outstanding range in center, with strong arms on all of them, and then Quentin is on the bench and he's a good defensive corner too.

I'd love it.

I don't necessarily hope Owens stays injured, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the future of this franchise if he did and Anderson become a legitimate CFer.

in 100% agreement .

How is it "pure fiction"? None of Vazquez, Buerhle, Politte, Cotts, Contreras, or Jenks play CF, so what do they have to do with bringing in Erstad? If Anderson preforms, Darrin Erstad isn't brought to the Sox in 2007. The pitching problems are the reasons guys like MacDougal, Sisco, and company were brought to the team.

KW had a hard on for Darin since 2001. He finally became a free agent and KW got his guy. He was supposed to be Pods' replacement in LF to leadoff because he was signed right after it was announced he was undergoing surgery and would miss the beginning of the season. Ozzie's bias against Brian led him to using Erstad to replace him, not Pods.

QUOTE(BurlyMan56 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Brian Anderson just received his ticket to Chicago today

I wouldn't go that far. There are several more weeks in ST remaining.

He has to keep this up until the day the season starts. No major slumps. Bad day = ok, but make up for it with good days.

I'm all for him winning a starting spot if he earns it.

I hope fans don't boo him and jump all over KW if he earns the job and has a tough

first road trip. I have a feeling a lot of our guys are gonna be slumping with our early schedule.

Go BA!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
So maybe, just maybe, my BA 44 jersey won't be completely useless...

I hope so, but I keep reminding myself that a team starving for someone who can hit left handed pitching had a player known to do that hit .500 with 3 homers in 22 AB last spring and he was released. (Eduardo Perez) Of course, the only team that picked him up was ESPN.

Edited by Dick Allen