So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

I've been posting that damn article in Baseball Prospectus about Brian's defense for the past year and a half. I've always liked the kid, regardless of how he hit, because whether he hits or not will not determine whether this team wins or not. We need him in there for his defense.

Let's just hope Ozzie isn't spewing this stuff to try and build his trade value, because I will be severely disheartened if we deal him now.

Pauly needs to be dealt now to make room for an OF of Dye/Anderson/Quentin.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KevinM @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
The best thing for this organization would be a young, cheap, outstanding outfield of Swish-BA-Quentin 2009 and beyond. I like JD, but his defense is fading quickly and a good first half should allow for a decent deadline move.

JD has a no trade clause this season.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Might he waive it for a chance to play for the Mets? Hmm...

It'll probably depend on how this season goes. If we're on pace to go 70/90 again this year, then he might well waive it to go to a contending team. But the problem is...if we're on pace for that kind of record again, the odds are that things blew up in the field again. Either Anderson sucked or Quentin was hurt or JD had another bad season, etc. If JD is having a decent season and the Sox are in the race, it'd be really hard to move him. If something goes really wrong, what are the odds that JD is having a great season despite everything else being bad?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
It'll probably depend on how this season goes. If we're on pace to go 70/90 again this year, then he might well waive it to go to a contending team. But the problem is...if we're on pace for that kind of record again, the odds are that things blew up in the field again. Either Anderson sucked or Quentin was hurt or JD had another bad season, etc. If JD is having a decent season and the Sox are in the race, it'd be really hard to move him. If something goes really wrong, what are the odds that JD is having a great season despite everything else being bad?

No, I meant, might he waive it right NOW. The Mets need an OF NOW and have been linked to basically every OF'er possible at this point...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
No, I meant, might he waive it right NOW. The Mets need an OF NOW and have been linked to basically every OF'er possible at this point...

I highly, highly doubt you could talk him in to waiving his NTC in training camp right after signing a new deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
I highly, highly doubt you could talk him in to waiving his NTC in training camp right after signing a new deal.

Well, I think you're probably right, but the Mets are odds on favorites to win the NL now, aren't they? It's not exactly a bad place to play...plus, they get out of crappy Shea after this season...

I know, it won't happen, but it would be nice to get that money off the books in favor of an OF of Quentin/Anderson/Swish...

Obviously, the easier thing would be to deal Pauly...but I don't know that there is a real market for him at this point...

QUOTE(Jordan4life @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
Yes, Ace. You as well. There's been about 10 people from this site that haven't completely taken a dump on him the last two years.

In 2006, I was critical of his offense and I'm sure I made jokes about him, but I always said that his defense was way more important to the team than what his lack of offense did. And in 2007, I was probably the biggest advocate for having Mackowiak/Ozuna starting in a platoon in LF (and leading off) with Anderson in CF. Or maybe I'm combining the two years...I'm not sure.

QUOTE(Jordan4life @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
For the record, unless your name is Jordan4life (me, of course), Heads, Tony, Wite, Kalapse, Yasny, Dbaho and I believe I'm forgetting a couple other people, you are not allowed to jump on the Brian Anderson bandwagon. This entire board has killed him the last couple years. Only a select few supported him through thick and thin. Of course, It's only spring training. But I've got a strong feeling Brian is going to make a lot of folks eat that crow.

After forgiving him for taking Rowand's spot, I've always supported BA. He got a bad rap during '06, and I defended him and his starting position for awhile.

QUOTE(KevinM @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
The best thing for this organization would be a young, cheap, outstanding outfield of Swish-BA-Quentin 2009 and beyond. I like JD, but his defense is fading quickly and a good first half should allow for a decent deadline move.

That would be an ideal scenario for the team for long - term if BA and Quentin could produce well at the major league level.

Dye could even play at 1B.

Dye / Konerko one of those are prime candidates to be dealt, but with Paulie you'd have to do it now. I wonder if the O's would be interested in some sort of Roberts / Konerko swap (with other players being involved)?

It's just speculation, and it may not be right, but it's fun to think about anyways.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
His approach to plate and swing are about 10,000x better then Anderson's. However, Sweeney needs to really build up his wrist and forearm muscles. He needs to get that bat around much quicker.

You seem to dislike players that pull the ball (which makes your Ryan Sweeney obsession that much more clear), and you hate Anderson's swing mechanics. Yet...

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:48 PM)
I saw the homer he hit today on the news....it didn't seem like he had that horrible hitch in his swing. In case you didn't see it, it was a 400 foot homer to right center on a high fastball.

No hitch in his swing, which means the bats getting through the zone quicker and he's swinging a lot better and general.

And it's really hard to pull a homer to right center when you're batting right handed.

BTW, that's friggin serious power if he hit a 400 blast to right center. I want Anderson in CF in the opener.

I bet a quarter of my posts are about brian anderson. I just don't think he's had a fair chance at the bigs.

Some misguided poster in here said he shouldn't get another chance because he was 'terrible for half a season!' Come on. It was his first chance at consistent starting time in the bigs, and in the second half of that season, he improved a great deal. Should we stop everyone who sucks for their first half a season from ever playing at the major league level?

Edited by max power

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
So what... Every player has hot streaks, even ones with as weak of a stick as Anderson's. I am not arguing not to give him another chance, all I am saying is that he sucks and will NEVER ever do anything in the majors. Maybe he will be a 4th OF defensive replacement type of bench player in the majors, but that is all.

You are right. All the giddiness for him is based on a few spring training games, but there does seem reason for optimism with Anderson. He worked out hard this offseason, he obviously is hitting better than ever before, I don't think anyone has ever questioned his ability, just his attitude and overall approach. He seems to have turned his biggest critic, Ozzie, around at least partially to the point where you can almost reasonably expect him to get a fair shot, something I really don't think he had last year. Keeping him on the team and sitting him down the first month or so was stupid, it did nobody any good.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 07:00 AM)
You are right. All the giddiness for him is based on a few spring training games, but there does seem reason for optimism with Anderson.

No, he is not right. It also has to do with his college career, minor league career, improvement in the second half of 06, his spring last year, and his defense.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:09 AM)
I bet a quarter of my posts are about brian anderson. I just don't think he's had a fair chance at the bigs.

Some misguided poster in here said he shouldn't get another chance because he was 'terrible for half a season!' Come on. It was his first chance at consistent starting time in the bigs, and in the second half of that season, he improved a great deal. Should we stop everyone who sucks for their first half a season from ever playing at the major league level?

If you are referring to my post about a terrible half season, you need to re-read it, along with what I have said about Anderson's status now. I did say that Brian Anderson actually playing at his potential is the best case scenario for the White Sox.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 07:00 AM)
You are right. All the giddiness for him is based on a few spring training games, but there does seem reason for optimism with Anderson. He worked out hard this offseason, he obviously is hitting better than ever before, I don't think anyone has ever questioned his ability, just his attitude and overall approach. He seems to have turned his biggest critic, Ozzie, around at least partially to the point where you can almost reasonably expect him to get a fair shot, something I really don't think he had last year. Keeping him on the team and sitting him down the first month or so was stupid, it did nobody any good.

It isn't necesarily his hitting that has excited me, all though that doesn't hurt. Now that it is sounding like he is finally getting what it means to be a major league player, he has a real shot at playing to his potential, which has been what excited me the most about Anderson. He has a chance to be an upper 1/3 CF in the majors if he is willing to work at it. In today's game of baseball that seems to be worth about $13 million a year on the open market.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
It isn't necesarily his hitting that has excited me, all though that doesn't hurt. Now that it is sounding like he is finally getting what it means to be a major league player, he has a real shot at playing to his potential, which has been what excited me the most about Anderson. He has a chance to be an upper 1/3 CF in the majors if he is willing to work at it. In today's game of baseball that seems to be worth about $13 million a year on the open market.

One more thing that I would add to my post and yours is ozzie's reported attitude about him. He has done a total 180 and I have always believed that anderson had the talent and was only lacking the right mental approach.

I was always for Brian and still am, but I'm one that feels solid Def up the middle is extremely important. I'm glad he is getting his bat on track and I hope it means he will truly get a shot because I think he could be a stabilizing force for years to come.

To prove my stance(as if I have to) here's a post from 8/28/06

I'm willing to accept that Ozzie probably has more baseball knowledge than me. I'm not willing to accept that sub par defense wins games. I wanted Brian starting in CF even during his struggles at the beginning of the year. He is leaps and bounds better that Mack. Hell, he is leaps and bounds better than Rowand. I didn't like his sub .200 avg, but if he saved runs on defense I was willing to let it play out. So, maybe I was wrong. Maybe the way Ozzie played it was right. Platooning Mack, losing defense to get Brian on the right track, and putting him in a position to succeed so he can get his confidence up, worked. BA is hitting almost .300 since the ASB and still playing GG defense. Post all star he is .325 against lefties and .281 against righties. I didn't agree with Ozzies move because I don't believe in sacrificing defense for offense, but then again I'm hacking away on my keyboard and he's the manager of the Sox, so we'll go with his way.

So now that the manager has proven me wrong, now that his way worked for Brian, albeit at the expense of some W's, why not bask in your spoils. We have our starting CF back. Why would we go into battle without a center fielder? What championship team would do that without their hand being forced by injury? No offense to Mack at all, I like him as a player and a person. In fact, I admire him for playing out of position when asked. A lot of players would shy away from that cause they know playing out of their comfort zone could make them look foolish. Mack stepped up when asked and continues to step up, but he's not a center fielder. He never was. He's just a guy doing his best to help the team.

Would a football team start a running back at wide receiver? I'm sure they could get the job done, but not like a wideout can. Would a home builder build a house without a finisher? I'm sure a framer can fill in, but I guarantee, you'll see the difference. When Mack plays center, we are passing to running backs, we are putting up trim that isn't mitered just right. That may work in high school football and that may work if you're finishing your own basement, but that won't work when you're trying to win a championship in the most competitive league there is. In this league, positions, matter. In this league, a sixteenth of an inch, matters. We have one of the best defenders at one of the most important defensive positions in baseball. He saves hits, he saves runs. When he is playing, there is no uncertainty in the outfield. If the ball is catchable, he'll catch it. If it isn't catchable, he still may catch it. The ratio of what the Sox lose offensively from Mack to Anderson is minuscule compared to what they lose defensively from Anderson to Mack.

There is no reason I can possibly think of as to why we downgraded that much defensively in 5 of the last 10 games. Games where every hit matters. Games where 'Piranhas' are trying to nibble you to death and if you give them a bite that should have never been, it just may be the one that kills you. Defense wins games. Defense wins championships. Ozzie said it when he was hired. Ozzie said it when we reached the playoffs. Ozzie said it when we won the World Series. Ozzie, say it again. Please!!