Official How Many Games Will the Sox Win Thread

maggsmaggs

Sox Wins  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How many games with the White Sox win in 2008?

• 70-73
    • 74-77
    • 78-81
    • 82-85
    • 86-89
    • 90-93
    • 94-97
    • 98-100

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
84-78, although the upside could be higher. We won't win anything special, and we'll be in third place in the Central.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
84. The offense rebounds a fair amount with the Swisher and Cabrera additions, and one of the 3 back end starters comes up with a decent year to complement Mark and Javy (don't ask me which one, just a feeling). I also have a hard time seeing the bullpen being quite as putrid as it was last year. They don't have enough for a huge year without an awful lot of breaks going their way though.

My feelings are along these lines. I just don't think we have the rotation this year.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what? we're actually playing baseball this season? i thought white sox baseball was canceled for 2008 on account of its imminent suckiness.

anyway...

i'll go 83 wins, third in the division.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)

Just remember, that 2003 team won 86 and 2006 won 90. This offense doesn't compare to the 2006 or even 2003 team and the pitching in nowhere near the level of those two squads.

I'll disagree that the offense doesn't compare to the 2003 team. That team didn't score 800 runs, and put up a gargantuan .727 OPS in the first half. The addition of Alomar and Everett and a few players heating up helped them to an OPS of .844 in the second half, raising the team OPS to .777. That team still underachieved by a couple games too.

I also don't believe it's unrealistic for this team to outpitch the 2006 squad. I strongly doubt they'll have 5 pitchers with ERAs under 5 in the rotation, but I also doubt that they'll have 0 starters with an ERA under 4.25. I also have to imagine the pen will be a bit better too, but that will have to be seen. If Dotel stays healthy, Jenks stays the course, and Linebrink can put up a 4.25 ERA, the pen should be good enough.

That being said, 76 is a very reasonable number and I could see that happening quite easily, just as I could see 84-85 wins happening quite easily. I don't see really anything below 72 wins happening and I don't see anything above 90 wins happening without outside factors contributing to either.

ugh, i had a huge reply typed up and accidentally hit a shortcut key-combination on this stupid small keyboard and erased the whole thing

detroit has so many glaring weaknesses that i don't see how it's possible that they win the division so overwhelmingly as many analysts and people on here are proclaiming

starting rotation is garbage after verlander, and that's a fact. can willis be any good in the AL after struggling mightily in the NL last year? we owned him in interleague play in 2007, scoring i think 4 or 5 runs in the first two innings or something. will rentaria be any good at all coming back to the AL? he's been pretty brutal in this league by looking at his splits. can their bullpen do anything besides blow games? they weren't very good last year and they've got even more injuries and holes this year. will jones be good enough for them to close games this year? he gave up 64 hits last year in 61.1 innings, 4.26 ERA and blew 6 saves. is kenny rogers done? he sure looked done to me last year, and he's not getting any younger. zumaya is gone for half of the year or more, and he was their key centerpiece in their bullpen before jones, and was rumored to be grooming into the closer role, now he's gone.

i don't see detroit winning more than 89 games, even with magglio, sheffield, polanco, and cabrera in the lineup. granderson showed a lot of upside last year but it was just one year, he could regress this year or put up similar numbers, but the one thing i do know is he's scheduled to miss like the first week and a half to two weeks of the season with a broken hand or something, which could cost them a game or two starting off the season

i picked the indians to win the division last year back in may, despite a lot of tiger fans telling me how much of an idiot i was for thinking that. enjoying that crow b****es? ;) cleveland will win the division this year, winning about 94-95 games i'll say, they have a better starting rotation, much better bullpen (the closer is a wash, with a slight nod to borowski) and a slightly worse lineup on paper, though they seem to have the key to beating the white sox year in and year out, vs the tigers not being able to find out exactly how to do that yet, for whatever reason

cleveland 94/95 wins

tigers 87/88 wins

sox 84/87 wins

74-77... a little better then last year, but not a whole lot. Our rotation is significantly worse, and while our bullpen looks improved, which I think it is, you never know. Our offense is better, but by how much? Swisher is a good OBP guy with some pop and such, and is surely and upgrade, but he is no world beater. I really like Quentin and Ramirez, but how much playing time will they get? Anderson, we'll see... if he ever plays. Crede I'm not expecting anything out of, and Uribe will be his usual s***ty self. Plus, once Owens is back he's gonna play, and he is complete garbage.

I'm expecting a real bad first half, but I hope in the 2nd half we can finally get our youth in there, and hopefully all of Contreras, Crede, Uribe, and Dye preform good enough so we can actually get something out of them. Perhaps Dotel can be possible trade bait at the deadline as well.

My hope is that on August 1st, Quentin will be in RF, Anderson in CF (Owens sent down/benched), Swisher in LF, Richar and Ramirez platooning at 2B, and Fields at 3B. Egbert and Broadway should both get their chances, as well as maybe even Poreda quickly escalating. Just imagine if we selected Joba over that nothing baller McCulloch back in 06...

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
74-77... a little better then last year, but not a whole lot. Our rotation is significantly worse, and while our bullpen looks improved, which I think it is, you never know. Our offense is better, but by how much? Swisher is a good OBP guy with some pop and such, and is surely and upgrade, but he is no world beater. I really like Quentin and Ramirez, but how much playing time will they get? Anderson, we'll see... if he ever plays. Crede I'm not expecting anything out of, and Uribe will be his usual s***ty self. Plus, once Owens is back he's gonna play, and he is complete garbage.

I'm expecting a real bad first half, but I hope in the 2nd half we can finally get our youth in there, and hopefully all of Contreras, Crede, Uribe, and Dye preform good enough so we can actually get something out of them. Perhaps Dotel can be possible trade bait at the deadline as well.

My hope is that on August 1st, Quentin will be in RF, Anderson in CF (Owens sent down/benched), Swisher in LF, Richar and Ramirez platooning at 2B, and Fields at 3B. Egbert and Broadway should both get their chances, as well as maybe even Poreda quickly escalating. Just imagine if we selected Joba over that piece of s*** McCulloch back in 06...

Is referring to McCulloch as a "piece of s***" really necessary?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
Is referring to McCulloch as a "piece of s***" really necessary?

as a person, I'm sure he's a nice guy. I got nothing against him... but as a baseball pitcher, he sucks. I'll edit it to be on the safe side however.

Wow. With all the negativity I've read on here all winter and spring I can't believe I'm the only one going wins 70-73 wins, though I can imagine even worse. I've got a real bad feeling about this year and I so hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's just that I'm totally miffed that Uribe is still on this team. Defensively the Sox are pretty darn good. Offensively pretty darn below average. I foresee a lot of those homers and not much else type games. Pitching....ugh. Contreras, Floyd and Danks scare the crap out of me although they probably don't have that effect on the rest of the AL. As for the bullpen, nothing but a bunch of question marks and ho-hums aside from Jenks.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Wow. With all the negativity I've read on here all winter and spring I can't believe I'm the only one going wins 70-73 wins, though I can imagine even worse. I've got a real bad feeling about this year and I so hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's just that I'm totally miffed that Uribe is still on this team. Defensively the Sox are pretty darn good. Offensively pretty darn below average. I foresee a lot of those homers and not much else type games. Pitching....ugh. Contreras, Floyd and Danks scare the crap out of me although they probably don't have that effect on the rest of the AL. As for the bullpen, nothing but a bunch of question marks and ho-hums aside from Jenks.

On the bolded... do you have those reversed? Because I'd say the opposite on each.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
90 wins exactly. 2nd behind the indians. The tigers win 79 games.

wow, the Tigers win only 79? With possibly the best offense in baseball, and a pitching staff which ain't all that bad, they only muster up 79 wins? But we get 90... wow. I'd take it, but I am being kind when I say HIGHLY unlikely.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
wow, the Tigers win only 79? With possibly the best offense in baseball, and a pitching staff which ain't all that bad, they only muster up 79 wins? But we get 90... wow. I'd take it, but I am being kind when I say HIGHLY unlikely.

Their pitching staff sucks. I've talked about it 100 times, don't want to do it again, and yes, ours is better.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Their pitching staff sucks. I've talked about it 100 times, don't want to do it again, and yes, ours is better.

For the upcomming season...

Vazquez = Verlander

Rogers

Bonderman > Contrera

Willis >= Danks

Robertson >= Floyd

So, to take into account their rotation is as good or even better then ours, plus they have the best offense in baseball, it's tough to see how they will win only 79, but we somehow win 90.

Our only real advantage against them is our pen. Todd Jones is gonna get lit up.