White Sox sign Esteban Loaiza/Option Wassermann

Steff

not a bad deal if they have him at AAA starting. It's hard to count on all 5 starters to make every single start and the only real backup was Massett for a spot start or Broadway for a DL stint. Maybe they even have Broadway start above E-Lo if needed, but no harm in having a veteran down in AAA

Edited by SoxFan562004

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
I still want proof. This isn't on ESPN, whitesox.com, or rotoworld.com yet. It would be a nice addition to have Loaiza back, but only if he was at AAA for a bit regaining form and getting healthy.

:huh: read the thread. there was a link to the suntimes blog.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
I still want proof. This isn't on ESPN, whitesox.com, or rotoworld.com yet. It would be a nice addition to have Loaiza back, but only if he was at AAA for a bit regaining form and getting healthy.

Cowley twittered it too.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
On the retread note, any word on Freddy Garcia's recovery progress? Some had speculated the Sox might try to pick him up in June/July.

Probably not that soon.

After giving the Philadelphia Phillies one win for their $10 million investment last season, Garcia underwent shoulder surgery in August. Rather than go shopping for a Jon Lieber-type, low-base, high-incentive contract, Garcia's agent, Peter Greenberg, wanted the pitcher to get healthy before taking him back on the market as a free agent.

Garcia is working with a personal trainer at his home in Miami and recently began throwing off a mound. If all goes according to plan, he could be ready for an audition in July, a minor league rehab in August and a big league cameo in September.

"It's pretty slim pickings on the trade market," Greenberg said, "so as long as Freddy is healthy, there should be interest. Even if he's 80 to 90 percent, that's better than most pitchers at 100 percent."

Garcia visited the Mets and Red Sox in spring training, and the Yankees and Tigers will probably be lurking if he can contribute down the stretch. If Sidney Ponson could find new life in the Texas Rangers rotation, it's hard to believe Garcia won't find a job.

This season has been weird from the beginning, I dont expect anything less. We have trouble hitting and running, so we get a washed up pitcher?

It's all good...i fully expect to see the White Sox in the World Series with Jim thome playing shortstop.

Speculation abounds concerning the move. My guess is Massett isn't going anywhere and I think he has earned his right to stay. Wassermann hasn't looked real good thus far and if anyone goes down it will be him assuming this signing of EL is true. It may have been blogged and I don't see any reason to doubt it one always would like to see official word announced.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
:huh: read the thread. there was a link to the suntimes blog.

I did read the whole thread---I just don't trust blogs, I'd rather have an official press release from the Sox or an actual article.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Good. Esteban has more potential upside than Wass at this point. Last year when the Sox were going nowhere, we could fiddle around with guys like Wass, Bukvich, Day, etc. This year, Loaiza can do what Wass was doing (mopup) and be an insurance policy/spot starter.

I'd say the opposite - Loaiza has little upside left, Wassermann has plenty - but, it doesn't matter. Wass looked terrible his first few appearances here, so, he's headed back down. Too bad Wass has so much shorter a leash than MacDougal got.

Loaiza would have been much more useful starting in Charlotte, to be called up if a starter goes down or needs rest.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
My old man just called and said Levine was just on ESPN 1000. He said part of the reason for all this was to protect Mark. Levine claims Buehrle has had a shoulder problem since ST, and he can't start on 5 days anymore, but needs a week. Now I don't know how much of this is factual(if Levine is correct, I know he said it), but I suppose we will find out pretty soon.

That would explain a lot of things.

So, would they then do a 6 man rotation? Or alternate Loaiza and MB in the rotation maybe?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
My old man just called and said Levine was just on ESPN 1000. He said part of the reason for all this was to protect Mark. Levine claims Buehrle has had a shoulder problem since ST, and he can't start on 5 days anymore, but needs a week. Now I don't know how much of this is factual(if Levine is correct, I know he said it), but I suppose we will find out pretty soon.

All the White Sox denial when Buerhle was skipped in spring training when reporters started questioning his health is reminiscent of the Cubs with Wood and Prior.

Bartolo Colon would have been a great signing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
That would explain a lot of things.

So, would they then do a 6 man rotation? Or alternate Loaiza and MB in the rotation maybe?

I would think that Masset would be first in line for that job before Esteban. Nick has way more upside and at this point is a better pitcher. Loaiza is still just rotation insurance.

And for putting him in the pen instead of Wass, that makes Zero sense.