Mike North: He gone!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Dream scenario...

Hub and Murph 6-8 (they were actually a decent tandem in the mornings awhile back)

Mully & Hanley 8-12

Law Holmes 12-2

B&B 2-6

Or, you could get rid of the weird middleness and go with

Mully Hanley 6-10

Law Holmes (and Hubner?) 10-2

B&B

The Murph nuts would get pissed though.

I'd be ok with that. I like Holmes a lot too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody see Jay-O's column today trashing North?

Proof positive that Jay's house has no mirrors.

Since Jay is too much of a coward to allow the Sun-Times' website to post a contact link after his columns:

Hey, J.O. - I read your column for once, and the irony is too rich to ignore.

Mike North is to radio EXACTLY what you are to newspapers.

The two of you are no different. At all. In any way.

Repeat, there is ZERO difference between the embarrassment North is and the embarrassment YOU are.

None.

Every disparaging description you wrote about Mike North applies in equal measure to you.

I hope that was put simply enough to sink in.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
The homeless guy at the corner of my street has more sports knowledge than Lawrence Holmes.

I dont know why you feel that way, I think Holmes is a pretty refreshing outlook on sports. He is usually right on point with the Bears, considering he hangs out with the players a lot.

That is, unless of course the homeless man on the corner of your street is Mike North

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
I dont know why you feel that way, I think Holmes is a pretty refreshing outlook on sports. He is usually right on point with the Bears, considering he hangs out with the players a lot.

That is, unless of course the homeless man on the corner of your street is Mike North

I've never been impressed with his sports acumen. He just seems like some 20-something know it all frat boy who's more concerned about ancillary topics than sports.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
I've never been impressed with his sports acumen. He just seems like some 20-something know it all frat boy who's more concerned about ancillary topics than sports.

Thats how I feel about Jonathan Hood

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)

Holmes is in the locker rooms, talking to the athletes. He has the credentials to be taken seriously as a sports talk host. I like him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
Holmes is in the locker rooms, talking to the athletes. He has the credentials to be taken seriously as a sports talk host. I like him.

He just doesn't seem like a big market sports talk guy. Would probably be better suited somewhere like Kansas City.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
Anybody see Jay-O's column today trashing North?

Proof positive that Jay's house has no mirrors.

Since Jay is too much of a coward to allow the Sun-Times' website to post a contact link after his columns:

Hey, J.O. - I read your column for once, and the irony is too rich to ignore.

Mike North is to radio EXACTLY what you are to newspapers.

The two of you are no different. At all. In any way.

Repeat, there is ZERO difference between the embarrassment North is and the embarrassment YOU are.

None.

Every disparaging description you wrote about Mike North applies in equal measure to you.

I hope that was put simply enough to sink in.

It was the definition of irony. The pot truly calling the kettle black. I hope big Rick writes a response to that. Proving once again that Marriotti has no idea how crappy he really is.

generally i like holmes, especially for bears talk...but hes the most stubborn talk radio host now that north is gone...you are right he does act like a know it all, and if you disagree he gets pretty animated about it

i dislike boers and bernstein...especially boers...not only is he 1.) not funny, but 2.) he thinks hes funny, and 3.) he tries to be funny all the time....not a good combo, if they spent as much time talking about meaningful stuff as they do trying to crack jokes and ragging on callers and other sports personalities they might have a halfway decent show

Edited by daa84

Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey

Howard Stern's Penis Baba Booey Baba Booey Baba Booey

Sorry, we're talking radio so...

When Mariotti was on ESPN 1000 a few years ago, I was convinced (and I believe many on here were) that he was stealing material from Soxtalk. I remember one day listening to him at school thinking, "I swear I read an exact quote like this on Soxtalk," and sure enough, someone (believe it was YASNY) had already typed it several hours before his broadcast. And it wasn't a general thought or idea, either. It had to do with our poor offseason entering 2004.

I was a Score employee the day they went on the air, worked there a number of years, and still stay in touch with these people - and I know most them personally, albeit now as simply friends not co-workers.

People come and go in radio, and the fact that North, Murphy and Boers have been at the same station for 16 years (and survived a major shift in ownership) says a lot about them. They've got a fan base, loyal advertisers and steady ratings. You may not like them, and that's OK, but I know for a fact that all three of those guys are deserving individuals who have worked very hard and made enormous personal sacrifices for their success. It takes a certain (strong) personality to succeed in that environment, and all three have accomplished this feat.

Radio (not just The Score) is in real sad shape. I think North's situation came down to the bean counters at corporate just not being able to justify his current salary demands. Like any smart baseball team, the GM may let an aging and overpriced superstar walk whem he is past his prime and asking for more money. Maybe he pissed off the wrong suit. CBS will take a chance and underpay some young gun to help their bottom line. Whatever. I know some other employees are not happy at the Score right now. Its a different place since Dan Lee sold it (along with WXRT).

Entertainers are, by nature, a vain lot. But they are also incredibily generous people who rarely forget friends and favors. In both North and Murphy's cases, they've got plenty of other options beyond The Score and can easily walk away once they are unhappy or radio is no longer 'fun'.

Guys like Hood, Rogers, Holmes have certainly paid their dues. They can make a living at this, but it is an amazing stuggle, one which (after 10 years) I was no longer able to endure.

Sports talk is a career that can grind you down into a pile of weeping dust in a matter of moments. Its a tough, cut throat business and truly only the strongest survive. The persistance, wisdom, and mental toughness required to sustain and prosper in this type of career is found only rarely in very gregarious, hearty individuals. Its not for everyone, certainly not the armchair QBs that haunt this space.

North had a good run, and he'll bounce back. He's got plenty of cash to keep him warm at night.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
Mike North free to speak his mind = next Don Imus

I would say North is worse,he is not very intelligent mixed with racism.I dont listen to Imus but I would think he is probably more educated than North.

He would say the most ignorant, stupid crap and the only thing that would happen was he'd get 'who you crappin' call outs on B&B. He was awful and his terrible tangents and completely uninformed and stupid political dialogue that he forced on the listeners was ridiculous.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)
He would say the most ignorant, stupid crap and the only thing that would happen was he'd get 'who you crappin' call outs on B&B. He was awful and his terrible tangents and completely uninformed and stupid political dialogue that he forced on the listeners was ridiculous.

I didn't mind his sports related talk too much, but the political and social commentary made me embarrased to be a Chicagoan. It felt like the janitor had walked past a board of directors meeting and decided to chime in. Ignorant and stubborn are a bad combo.

I read North was on with Mac, Jurko, and Harry a few days ago. That would of been kind of surreal if I heard it. If they could ditch the Bristol talk from Noon-2pm, North would be a good fit there. Only two hours a day. 4 hours was way too much and got stale. Also a good lead in for MJ&H.

Just a thought.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
I read North was on with Mac, Jurko, and Harry a few days ago. That would of been kind of surreal if I heard it. If they could ditch the Bristol talk from Noon-2pm, North would be a good fit there. Only two hours a day. 4 hours was way too much and got stale. Also a good lead in for MJ&H.

Just a thought.

I listened, I would of preferred that we get Van Pelt's show for that half an hour that day...only because I like Van Pelt's show.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 4, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
They got the podcast of those segments on espnradio1000.com. He was on July 2nd. Fun listen.

It's also on iTunes. Pretty good conversation, but it's funny to listen to North and McNeil call each other friends when it's clear from the tone of the interview that there's bad blood between them. McNeil blames North for blowing up the original line-up of the Score by wanting his own morning show. North denied this. I think I recall this being the story at the time the changes took place. Anyway, worth listening to for any fan of the early days of the Score.