Is it time to panic yet?

whitesoxfan101

We are starting to really look snakebit, but we're not done yet. We lost the American League MVP and then promptly took 2 of 3 from the league's best team. Now we've lost 2 in a row to the league's hottest team with one of the best pitching staffs.

Losing Paulie will hurt, but although he had shown some signs of heating up lately, he has really not been good all year, and the Sox played some of their best baseball this year when he was hurt before. Swisher going to first and Anderson going to Center will improve our defense and speed. Offensively, we've definitely lost some thunder, but we still have Dye and Thome. I really think everything will depend upon our pitching anyway, which looks especially bleak tonight because it was the 5th starter's turn. On the other hand, Javy pitched well this afternoon.

I'm not saying we're going to the World Series (Hawk), but I think we still can certainly win the Central.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
Since I was nowhere near baseball at that point in time, someone has to explain this to me.

I was at the game, saw the whole thing happen, and still to this day don't understand why people think it cost us the division that year. It's a great myth among our fanbase that it did, though. He came into a blowout, had a horrible 9th inning, creating a huge mess that Flash Gordon had to clean up (which he did). He had a big tirade coming off the field, flipped off the umpire and went off on Jerry Manuel. Despite the fact we still won that game, people think that caused us to lose the next 2 nights and then get swept a short time later at Minnesota. I have never understood it.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
ehh it'll definitely be tougher now. We just need more help now than we would have before. Tampa Bay needs to get their s*** together, Lee needs to pitch in the Cle series, and we need to not choke in the s***tra-dome.

That TB series is huge. It should be big for both teams and the Rays need to do f***ing work and get 3 of 4.

We can't depend on other teams to follow out demands. We're a game ahead, and if we blow it no one is to blame but ourselves.

With that series in Minnesota, even if this team was completely healthy you know they'd enter with a "Minnesota is unstoppable at home" mindset that has been manifested time and time again by Hawk/Guillen/media. It's almost as if they want to make sure that series matter. And hey, what better way to assure that then losing 1 1/2 games in the standings in one day!

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
I sure sleep a lot better at night when the Sox have a 1 game lead compared to being out a game and trying to figure out where they'll make the game up.

From my perspective, this team isn't winning the World Series so I could give a s*** what their record is in relation to the Twins.

You've said yourself the Sox don't have a shot at winning the World Series without CQ. What's the point of worrying about the standings when you know it doesn't matter in the end?

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 03:14 AM)
From my perspective, this team isn't winning the World Series so I could give a s*** what their record is in relation to the Twins.

You've said yourself the Sox don't have a shot at winning the World Series without CQ. What's the point of worrying about the standings when you know it doesn't matter in the end?

It would be nice to see this team make the playoffs. Making the playoffs and losing 30-0 in 3 games is better than any scenario in which the team doesn't make the playoffs. You also never know when ownership will decide to slash payroll in the offseason.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
Geez...guys are playing like crap again...and came up against a VERY hot team. Times like these I wish I could see some threads back in Sept of '05. I think I'm gonna look at the rest of this year like I did watching the Bears this past Sunday. Didn't expect very much...nor for the whole season...but if they did well...it's all gravy. It was actually a pretty relaxing way to go. I'm tired of being friggin uptight and tense because of "what the Sox did". I think my family's sick of it too. If we do it...we do it. And again...nobody even REMOTELY expected this team to be in this position when the year started.

This is how I look at it. Most baseball fans are disappointed every year because only 1 team wins it all. Make the playoffs. Period. Back in whatever. I don't care. The post season is the post season. It's better than sucking. And I've seen plenty of those kind of White Sox teams.

We're not dead yet, but it sucks when the worst possible scenario entering the day did happen.

Lose game one, suck in game two and see the Royals lay over in the BaggieDome. I'm not giving up, but champions don't drop two games at home this time of year on the same day. Prove me wrong, Sox.

Not me, it ain't over til it's over!

:gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox2:

Todays losses were disatrous, but we're still ahead by one game, and like others have said, no one expected the Sox to be where they are now at this point in the season this year........

Now if they can just pull their heads out of their asses for the rest of this month, and man up while we have key players out, and play every game from here on out like we know that they can, we may just win the division, and make the 1st round of the playoffs after all........

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
Amazingly, I am kinda happy I was at the game tonight rather than being on here. Looks like it got pretty ugly.

Sox are in a tough spot right now. As of tonight, they are short the AL MVP, there starting 3rd and 1st basemen, and a "consistent" 5th starter in Contreras. Injures are part of the game, but a team can only sustain so much.

Is it time to panic? I guess if you want. I'm going to watch this team the next 20 or so games, and hope they have what it takes to make it into the playoffs.

My thoughts exactly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)
It would be nice to see this team make the playoffs. Making the playoffs and losing 30-0 in 3 games is better than any scenario in which the team doesn't make the playoffs. You also never know when ownership will decide to slash payroll in the offseason.

I guess that's where we differ. It makes no difference to me if we make the postseason and get routed or not make it at all.

As far as the payroll stuff, making the playoffs and having revenue from one game won't make a difference if ownership really wants to cut payroll.

Like others have mentioned, anytime we get a loss people panic around here.

How much bad luck can this team have? We have lost some very important pieces to our team this year in Crede, Contreras, Quentin, and now Konerko. I mean... things can always get worse, but damn...

They have been doing good this year and always seem to get up when knocked down. They just need to concentrate on tomorrow. We still have a 1 game lead.

I can't believe it though, we lose Thomas and Maggs in 03 and this year we lose half our lineup...

I guess this is why KW got JR, but unfortunately he just isn't good anymore.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
I guess that's where we differ. It makes no difference to me if we make the postseason and get routed or not make it at all.

As far as the payroll stuff, making the playoffs and having revenue from one game won't make a difference if ownership really wants to cut payroll.

If you make the postseason anything can happen. All it takes is the SP to be hot and you can make some noise.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
What a naive post. Do you have any idea the ramifications making the playoffs has on a team? Merchandise sales, hanging a division banner, media coverage, ect. Ask Boyer how much easier his job would be in the off-season if the Sox made the playoffs and got their ass kicked. It may not matter to you, because you chose not to care, but to a franchise, it's incredibly important, and would be celebrated by the organization, just like it would for the other 29 teams.

I think you are confusing a World Series with a division title. How many division titles have the Twins won? What about the Indians last season? Neither team did much to increase payroll after those division titles and I wouldn't say their attendance improved significantly. Sure, there are benefits to winning the division but it's hyperbole to say it's "incredibly important." I think the fact the White Sox were competetive throughout the season is enough for them in terms of merchandise sales and media coverage.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
What a naive post. Do you have any idea the ramifications making the playoffs has on a team? Merchandise sales, hanging a division banner, media coverage, ect. Ask Boyer how much easier his job would be in the off-season if the Sox made the playoffs and got their ass kicked. It may not matter to you, because you chose not to care, but to a franchise, it's incredibly important, and would be celebrated by the organization, just like it would for the other 29 teams.

Amen, the entire idea is to get into the dance and see what happens. I would rather get beat in the first round and at least give it a try than anything. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
We can't depend on other teams to follow out demands. We're a game ahead, and if we blow it no one is to blame but ourselves.

With that series in Minnesota, even if this team was completely healthy you know they'd enter with a "Minnesota is unstoppable at home" mindset that has been manifested time and time again by Hawk/Guillen/media. It's almost as if they want to make sure that series matter. And hey, what better way to assure that then losing 1 1/2 games in the standings in one day!

Missed the point of my post. We were going to need help regardless, no matter what anyone says. We just will need more than originally planned.

I think the biggest series won't be the Twins one, but the one before it. We have 3 vs. KC and they have 4 against the Rays on the road (who should also be in a tight race). If we can do what we should, sweep KC and TB does what it should and take at least 3 at home, the we can go into that Twins series a few up (if we hang in until then)

If Minnesota loses 5 out of 6 games, nobody gives it a second thought. If we lose 3 games most all Sox fans absurdly and overly emotionally react and are "certain" that the season is over. If Konerko gets injured they are sure we are cursed. They would love to have a goat curse to blame things on. If shown proof that the Sox suffered less than the average amount of injuries for a baseball team, they would choose to not believe it.

Add me onto the skeptical yet pleasantly surprised column. Some of my comfortable spots in regards to the team were what others shat bricks about- Uribe, Contreras most notably. Many seem to be comfortable with Danks and Floyd, and while I'm siked for their success, I keep expecting their youth to smack em any start now. In other words, my concerns about the team were to this point null.

It's like a friggin shakespearean tragedy. Quentin, coming from nowhwere to carry the team is out on account of himself, perhaps for the season. The wallowing Konerko catches fire in August and not a moment too soon, assumes Quentin's load and has (3?) consecutive HR games and some ridiculous .360 BA only to fall, also perhaps for the season. Contreras who was one bad pitch from getting crucified in the outfield proves so many wrong, picking up dark horse Cy Young candidate Javy's s***. Danks and Floyd each flirt with no hitters on multiple occasions. We live to see Jerry Owens back on the roster AND Joe Crede may yet play another out for this team.

But yeah, I was skeptical, but enjoyed the ride, and am now panicking. Now we've reached the point of no return. If the team was going to fall apart in July, it was forseeable. But we're in 1st on September 9th. It would be cruel to get this far only to collapse.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on here in a good long while. F*** it, let's just miss the playoffs because we'll probably get swept anyways, right?

You also really like to make appearances when the Sox perform badly. Merely coincidental though I assume.

(PS - I also believe you predicted that the Sox would be dead by now. Atleast they were in first place, so in that regard, I was more right...in fact, they are a game up and other than this turd today, they had been playing some pretty damn good ball)