9/20 Sox v. Royals; 6:10PM CDT - WGN

Texsox

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
If we step back and look at this team objectively,we have to realize that injuries have just killed us,Jose Contreras,Joe Crede,Scott Linebrink and Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko battling injuries all season long...to lose your ace,your set up guy the sox paid big bucks to bring,your gold glove calibre 3rd basemen and your best hitter and MVP candidate,well it was too much to overcome.I know injuries are part of the game and the other guys gotta step up but how many teams can overcome them to their top players?

Twins have had a lot of injuries this season, same with Indians. I didn't know Dye and AJP are injured?

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
If we step back and look at this team objectively,we have to realize that injuries have just killed us,Jose Contreras,Joe Crede,Scott Linebrink and Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko battling injuries all season long...to lose your ace,your set up guy the sox paid big bucks to bring,your gold glove calibre 3rd basemen and your best hitter and MVP candidate,well it was too much to overcome.I know injuries are part of the game and the other guys gotta step up but how many teams can overcome them to their top players?

ACE???????

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)

Who is this ace that we lost? Please dont tell me you mean Jose.

The way TB is playing at home (best record since the 1998 Yankees), it almost doesn't matter if it's the Twins or the White Sox.

Yeah, yeah, we COULD get hot at just the right moment...but the odds of that happening are very low. You just get the feeling that the Rays will let up against Liriano after clinching and that Danks will be off with too much rest and Brandon Duckworth will somehow beat us...leaving us up only 1 1/2 games going into Minnesota.

And then of course Nick Blackburn will throw a shutout after Vazquez loses YET ANOTHER big game against the Twins...and the season will come down to Slowey versus Gavin Floyd. I don't think any Sox fans would be suprised to see that scenario play out now, unfortunately...not after watching this team for almost an entire season.

The guys are going to regret tonight's game before it's over. There will some big time pressure on in some of these upcoming games, maybe even a final against Detroit. We still could lose 2 of 3 to KC which I know won't surprise any of us. Please take the finale.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
Twins have had a lot of injuries this season, same with Indians. I didn't know Dye and AJP are injured?

The Twins lost Cuddyer for a large stretch of the season.

Neshek, their best RH set-up reliever. Rincon self-destructed. Crain was in his first year off Tommy John, same with Liriano.

Alexi Casilla was out for awhile. Everett has been injured pretty much the entire season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)

Do we remember the same Contreras? He is better than our other 5th starter options, but don't call him an acne.

The production from Uribe at 3B since Crede's absence, atleast in September, has been great. We haven't missed CHOKE CREDE.

Linebrick's departure has made a difference since no one has filled his role adequately and about the entire pen has struggled. I'll give you that. Same with Konerko, although he hasn't been battling an injury "all season long." Neither has Quentin.

With Wise, doesn't any else realize how good he has been? Look at Betsy's thread -- he has a 1.093 OPS in September. As difficult as it may be to understand, Quentin wouldn't have made much of a difference. Wise has done well filling in.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
Who is this ace that we lost? Please dont tell me you mean Jose.

IMO Jose Contreras when healthy still has Ace stuff,when his velocity is in the 92-94 mph range,his offspeed stuff is wicked...in the game that he went down he was hitting the mid 90s...

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)

My point exactly,Twins are still behind us and the Tribe were done in mid-season,injuries killed them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
That's a little harsh. The guy is coming off huge back surgery. My god.

Does anyone fully come off back surgery? If anything it was supposed to make his condition better and it obviously hasn't. I don't miss his popups, that's for sure.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
IMO Jose Contreras when healthy still has Ace stuff,when his velocity is in the 92-94 mph range,his offspeed stuff is wicked...in the game that he went down he was hitting the mid 90s...

I think it's fair to say that Contreras, until he started hurting again this season, was at least the equivalent of a #3 starter and for some teams, a #2.

Was he the same pitcher as 2nd half 2005 and first half 2006? Not really close. He'd lost 2-4 MPH off his fastball and advanced in age. But he was at least worth the money he was making, which you couldn't say in 2007 and for 1/3rd of this season before he blew out his Achille's.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 02:56 AM)

Actually, he was hitting 89 mph with his fastball in the 2nd inning when he ruptured his achilles.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
Actually, he was hitting 89 mph with his fastball in the 2nd inning when he ruptured his achilles.

I watched that game and I recall seeing the radar gun showing mid 90s,I even remember that it was a Saturday game on WGN,also the Hawk mentioned his velocity up there.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 03:12 AM)
I watched that game and I recall seeing the radar gun showing mid 90s,I even remember that it was a Saturday game on WGN,also the Hawk mentioned his velocity up there.

Yes, in the first inning when he had the adrenaline. In the second inning, he bounced a few fastballs to the plate. I think we all love Contreras for 2005, but he's nothing more than a #4/5 now.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 07:21 PM)
Swisher = Useless

Hey now, high fiving the cardboard cutout of himself has been the highlight of the season for me. Not just White Sox, all of baseball. Finally a guy with my kind of humor. This year is a fluke. I don't want to damn Gio or single machine, but trading away a sick AAA curve on a toothpick body and an afore mentioned Sweeney is worth the numbers Nicholas has put up every year prior to this one. How did our 16 game winner fare last year? How about our 74 year old 40 game loser Contreras? Didn't Fields jack eleventy HRs? How many did he tag this year? Ask 99.9% of our community what their opinion of Juan Uribe was even halfway into this season. The point is this game is so f***ing year by year it's not even worth risking arthritis in your early 70's typing worthless fluff.

I'm not specifically picking on you, MurcieOne, as I myself am guilty of screaming rape based on some of the lol performances turned in by our guys at times (Javy pissed me off this year, Crede for all I know could hit .300 next year (lmaoroflf***), I wasn't too fond of OCab's Cintron impersonation early in the year etc.), but one year's unfiltered cigarette is the next year's inhaler during an asthma attack. But I'm serious about the cutout high fives. If he hit .003 with a bar over it I would be glad to have him on our 25 man.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
Hey now, high fiving the cardboard cutout of himself has been the highlight of the season for me. Not just White Sox, all of baseball. Finally a guy with my kind of humor. This year is a fluke. I don't want to damn Gio or single machine, but trading away a sick AAA curve on a toothpick body and an afore mentioned Sweeney is worth the numbers Nicholas has put up every year prior to this one. How did our 16 game winner fare last year? How about our 74 year old 40 game loser Contreras? Didn't Fields jack eleventy HRs? How many did he tag this year? Ask 99.9% of our community what their opinion of Juan Uribe was even halfway into this season. The point is this game is so f***ing year by year it's not even worth risking arthritis in your early 70's typing worthless fluff.

I'm not specifically picking on you, MurcieOne, as I myself am guilty of screaming rape based on some of the lol performances turned in by our guys at times (Javy pissed me off this year, Crede for all I know could hit .300 next year (lmaoroflf***), I wasn't too fond of OCab's Cintron impersonation early in the year etc.), but one year's unfiltered cigarette is the next year's inhaler during an asthma attack. But I'm serious about the cutout high fives. If he hit .003 with a bar over it I would be glad to have him on our 25 man.

I am glad that you think Kid Comic can trot out there and suck as long as he gives you the giggles. Awesome.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 21, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
Does anyone fully come off back surgery? If anything it was supposed to make his condition better and it obviously hasn't. I don't miss his popups, that's for sure.

You seem to forget the clutch hitting to dribe in winning runs or get a rtally started and you forget his great glove at 3B killingh opposing teams rallies. Joe Crede=winnah

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
You seem to forget the clutch hitting to dribe in winning runs or get a rtally started and you forget his great glove at 3B killingh opposing teams rallies. Joe Crede=winnah

To bad Crede brought a bad back, a rusty glove, and crappy stick this year. Joe Crede hasnt been the guy you speak off since his back went EPIC FAIL.

This year is a fluke.

To each his own, but I don't share the manlove of Swish. He's another of our veterans who could have carried us to some big wins of late. Instead he's sucked. I could see trying again next season with a new ss and a new cf.

Next.