Contreras to pen; Peavy to start Saturday

PeavyTime

QUOTE (jhonnydanks @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:30 AM)
Peavy did indeed get drilled tonight. Nothing to serious though. He also threw about 5 pitches that would be hit 450 ft by major league players.

the point is that peavey will pitch , the sea will part and the sox are going to the series or are you trying to say he still might not be ready yet?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree,we shouldn't hurry Peavy for this crap team and risk a long term injury trying to win this weak division this year...

At the end of the season when we get rid of all the deadweight we have carrying around,we should have a nice core of young players for 2010.

We should shut Peavy down.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
I agree,we shouldn't hurry Peavy for this crap team and risk a long term injury trying to win this weak division this year...

At the end of the season when we get rid of all the deadweight we have carrying around,we should have a nice core of young players for 2010.

We should shut Peavy down.

He's not injured. He simply hasn't pitched in months. It isn't risking injury. It's a question of whether or not he is stretched out enough and effective enough to be beneficial or not at this point.

Strikes me as a no-lose situation considering how terrible Jose has been lately. Worst case scenario is that we give Hudson a shot and he shows his inexperience. Best case scenario is that Peavy is ready and pitches well. Really, what do we have to lose?

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:12 AM)
Strikes me as a no-lose situation considering how terrible Jose has been lately. Worst case scenario is that we give Hudson a shot and he shows his inexperience. Best case scenario is that Peavy is ready and pitches well. Really, what do we have to lose?

A game and division.

But that risk is there no matter who of the 3 pitches.

Best Scenario: Peavy pitches and dominates Yankees sat.

Peavy vs. Yankees career:

2 G, 0-2, 3.60 ERA, 10 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 HR, 2 BB, 8 K's

Middle Scenario: Dan Hudson makes his ML debut. He'd probably be roughed up, since in his first few starts at every level he has shown signs of needing adjustment. Fortunately he adjusts face.

Worst: No fifth starter is in place, for some reason Jose pitches. Maybe he could be Good Jose and not Bad Jose.

Why even think about shutting Peavy down unless he says so. His whole timetable is based on how he feels and what he reports to Cooper. If he says he's ready, it'd be stupid not to use him. As for Hudson, i'd just assume call him up as well. After Freddy gets balsted tonight, i'd relegate him to pen/minors as well. The Sox aren't going to win anything with a 4-5 combo of Jose and Freddy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 06:59 AM)
I'm not even happy with this move. It just shows me that they don't even have the balls to flat-out cut his ass off of the team.

They wouldn't release him. No one would sign him for the rest of the season anyways, and the rosters expand soon enough as it is.

I'm never happy when a player is demoted. That is never a good sign for the club, it means some player has been under-performing, often by a huge delta. So I am sad for Contreras, worried that they are pushing Peavy because of the playoff race and needing a boost.

A Saturday start would also set him up to pitch against the Cubs, and would ensure he gets to pitch in both of the Detroit series at the end of season. If the rotation stayed intact, he would pitch against: (NYY, CHC, OAK, SEA, KC, DET, DET). 7 starts.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
A Saturday start would also set him up to pitch against the Cubs, and would ensure he gets to pitch in both of the Detroit series at the end of season. If the rotation stayed intact, he would pitch against: (NYY, CHC, OAK, SEA, KC, DET, DET). 7 starts.

The Sox have said they do not want Peavy pitching that Cubs game, where he'd have to hit and run on that ankle.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 07:11 AM)
The Sox have said they do not want Peavy pitching that Cubs game, where he'd have to hit and run on that ankle.

Without a day off in between, if he starts Saturday, they will have to get creative.

If there is any doubt whether Peavy is ready or not, I'd pitch Jose in that game. Basically, throwing him under the bus against the Yanks with CC on the hill for them. I don't want Peavy back unless he's close to 100% and I damn sure don't want to throw Hudson to the wolves in that situation.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
If there is any doubt whether Peavy is ready or not, I'd pitch Jose in that game. Basically, throwing him under the bus against the Yanks with CC on the hill for them. I don't want Peavy back unless he's close to 100% and I damn sure don't want to throw Hudson to the wolves in that situation.

Isn't it CC and Buerhle Friday and Gaudin on Saturday?