AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Longshot....did the Angels try to sign Konerko years ago, yes.

Have the Angels been long-tied to Konerko in rumors pretty much every year since he ultimately signed with the White Sox...yes.

So how you go as far as saying the Angels would have no interest in Konerko is pretty ridiculous.

Okay, we will agree to disagree, since I know you follow the Angels as close as I do. All I'm saying is there are no indications in any of the media I've seen that the Angels are looking to fill their DH vacancy from outside their organization, given their commitment to Morales and the glut of outfielders they already have. From all indications, the Angels are not going to be big spenders this offseason and there is a lot of speculation whether or not they'll be able to sign their own free agents (Lackey & Figgins) and fill their pitching holes.

I would love for the Sox to trade for Gonzalez and to do so they would have to move Konerko. I just don't see the Angels are a trade partner. If this happens, I will eat major crow.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
I find our fan bases (not Soxtalk) inability to grasp that GM’s talk all manner of trades all the time, rather unbearable. Hell, Jim from Soxmachine (a guys whose opinions I really do respect.) basically writes off the rumor without even offering analysis. The problem here is that no one is doing their jobs. Offer some form of counter opinion, tell me why you don't find the rumor plausible, becasue if you don't your thought is just as invalid as you claim Soxnets to be. Don't write something off just because it's easier to do it that way.

Exactly. The whole point of the article from our perspective was to inform the fans of what we have heard. We were not reporting a trade, rather that discussions have been had and those were the names. We never went any further to even indicate it was a done deal, in fact, we went out of the way to report that it wasn't.

We than offer our own speculation as to the trade and than Mark Gonzalez of the tribune did a great pro/con type of piece on the SoxNet report.

Cowley could have done something similar or went to his sources, collected quotes, and written to that fact. That would be writing, but anything else is really really baseless, unprofessional and completely disrespectful.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
Okay, we will agree to disagree, since I know you follow the Angels as close as I do. All I'm saying is there are no indications in any of the media I've seen that the Angels are looking to fill their DH vacancy from outside their organization, given their commitment to Morales and the glut of outfielders they already have. From all indications, the Angels are not going to be big spenders this offseason and there is a lot of speculation whether or not they'll be able to sign their own free agents (Lackey & Figgins) and fill their pitching holes.

I would love for the Sox to trade for Gonzalez and to do so they would have to move Konerko. I just don't see the Angels are a trade partner. If this happens, I will eat major crow.

The Angels have been reportedly interested in Matt Holliday. I'm not saying that Konerko makes a lot of sense and if I were the Angels I'd look at other options before looking at Konerko.

But neither me or you know exactly what the Angels thoughts are on Konerko. Prior evidence would indicate that the Angels think pretty highly of him, but again, that could have changed when Reagins took over.

We also don't know what the Sox offer to the Angels was. Were we sending substantive cash, were we getting back a contract? We don't really know those details so I think to write-off the possibilities as zero would be incorrect.

I personally don't see this trade going through but I think the Sox and Padres will be talking to each other a lot (up until Adrian is gone) because Adrian would be a tremendous fit for this offense. And my guess is Kenny will be calling a whole lot of other teams (and probably go back to the Angels again) to see if he can get another team to take on a contract as part of the trade so that he can be flexible.

Doesn't mean it will happen, but it also mean the discussions didn't happen and I've yet to really see anyone dispute that this discussions have taken place.

I believe one San Diego reporter indicated that nothing was going on and that could very well be true. We are reporting the facts as we know them and that is that the teams had discussions. Take it for what it is worth.

I wouldn't even bother to respond directly to Cowley. All it does is lend credence to his opinions. It would be better to respond by touting your own website and the long history that you have had with the original soxnet, soxtalk and of course the gold standard for whitesox prospect information futuresox.com. His attack is that this is some sort of blog that was just created. You attack that with facts. And the facts are that this is a new blog that is based on a long respected history of sox information that you have provided through several web platforms.

And for all those who feel the need to avenge this by sending a profanity based diatribe. Think before you send. Its one thing to send a response in email. Its another to send emails that say "Dear f***face". Jason will handle this himself. I don't think email bombing Cowley is going to help things out.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
Are you a Next Generation fan, Chisoxfn, or an Enterprise guy? Depending on your answer i have lost a lot of respect for you as both a human being and as a source.

I don't even know the difference. I do like Lost though!!!!

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
I wouldn't even bother to respond directly to Cowley. All it does is lend credence to his opinions. It would be better to respond by touting your own website and the long history that you have had with the original soxnet, soxtalk and of course the gold standard for whitesox prospect information futuresox.com. His attack is that this is some sort of blog that was just created. You attack that with facts. And the facts are that this is a new blog that is based on a long respect history of sox information.

And for all those who feel the need to avenge this by sending a profanity based diatribe. Think before you send. Its one thing to send a response in email. Its another to send emails that say "Dear f***face". Jason will handle this himself. I don't think email bombing Cowley is going to help things out.

agree 100 percent. you are probably going to provide cowley more entertainment and jollies than making him re-think his position.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
I wouldn't even bother to respond directly to Cowley. All it does is lend credence to his opinions. It would be better to respond by touting your own website and the long history that you have had with the original soxnet, soxtalk and of course the gold standard for whitesox prospect information futuresox.com. His attack is that this is some sort of blog that was just created. You attack that with facts. And the facts are that this is a new blog that is based on a long respected history of sox information that you have provided through several web platforms.

Well said all around.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
These people who went to school for journalism are threatened by people who can get the same info as them. Most sports journalists are snobby a$$holes.

Most sports journalists are also mediocre writers, which speaks volumes about the value of a journalism degree.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
agree 100 percent. you are probably going to provide cowley more entertainment and jollies than making him re-think his position.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Well said all around.

Seriously, ignore the monster and it frequently disappears. I understand why some would be upset with Cowley's dismissiveness, but there is no reason to make him think anyone is listening to him.

FWIW:

Reagins also has been in discussions with the agents for outfielder Vladimir Guerrero and reliever Darren Oliver but declined to address trade rumors that linked the Angels with Detroit outfielder Curtis Granderson and White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko.

"There are so many different rumors out there, it wouldn't be smart to comment on them," Reagins said. "A lot of them don't make sense."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels...0,6435144.story

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
ok, just had a chance to listen to the interview, he says Gonzales only wrote about the deal because it was an attempt to "cross promote" the Trib's ChicagoNow blog site which hosts SoxNet.net.

What a piece of crap and a low blow.

Sez the guy speaking on the Score about his column in the ST.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
I don't even know the difference. I do like Lost though!!!!

Dude you need a Star Trek avatar. Quick! Somebody photoshop Captain Kirk wearing a Sox hat!!!

If the deal does happen, every single one of us needs to email Cowley...

Edited by Chet Kincaid

I think a swap of Konerko for GMJ and a prospect or 2 is a great deal for both teams. The Angels pay GMJ Konerko-like money to ride the bench. Since Konerko is a better player and only signed for a year, the Angels would definitely have to compensate us with prospects to flip to SD. This deal makes alot of sense to all teams involved, as long as we get Adrian.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
Is Paulie really this bad a player compared to others at his position?

Yes. He finished 20th out of 25 qualified 1B in wOBA last year and these are numbers that will likely decline next season. And yet he's the 8th highest paid 1B in baseball.

I guess baseball is full of stud first baseman

Yes, yes it is. 5 of the top 6 hitters in terms of wOBA in 2009 were first basemen. That's because you generally have one of your top 2 hitters playing that position since you don't have to be a great athlete to play the position and defense at 1B isn't greatly valued.

cause Paulie had a f***ing great year offensively

No, no he didn't. He provided below average offensive production for his position and barely out produced the likes of Magglio Ordonez.

He also is a damn fine fielder.

He's a pretty solid defensive 1B, there's not a ton of value in that.

I realize he's aging. A lot of baseball teams don't mind paying a decent salary. I would think whomever gets Paulie will be a happy camper.

The good organizations typically look to get their money's worth when paying out 'decent' salaries, the chances of this happening with a 34 year old, $12M Konerko are slim

It's ok to be a fan of a player, you just have to realize when he's hit the downside of his career and is no longer worth what he's being paid or failing to match the production you'd expect from someone that plays the most important offensive position on the diamond.