Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
Looks like the twins about to lock up Orlando Hudson. Should we be worried?

Twins were already the biggest hurdle for the Sox in the division, so we should have been worried to begin with.

I think the new stadium throws off their playing style, which will hurt them. I still think, even as currently tooled, that the Sox are in pole position. But not by much.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Yanks signed Marcus Thames and officially signed Randy Winn. Thames to a minor league deal.

If Thames is healthy, he wouldn't have been a bad idea to have him in the mix for DH.

You know, it cracks me up every time I see one of your posts because i get to see one of my real good friends as your avatar.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
only if Liriano has really turned a corner. I think our pitching is far better and that ultimately makes the difference.

We'll see how Liriano looks in the Spring and during the season. He was great in Winter Ball against a ton of players who don't have a chance in hell at cracking the majors or are way past their primes.

Interesting turn in ESPN.com 's new article

The Johnny Damon Sweepstakes appeared to be nearing the finish line Thursday, as Damon tries to choose from several offers far less than the two-year, $20 million deal he and agent Scott Boras have been seeking.

Two sources told ESPN.com that the Detroit Tigers have made the largest offer, amid speculation around the industry that that bid is in the range of one year, $7 million. There were indications the sides were still discussing a possible two-year deal. But even the Tigers' one-year offer appears to be the biggest offer on the table.

The Atlanta Braves and Tampa Bay Rays have also remained in the bidding, with both teams talking about one-year contracts for fewer total dollars than the Tigers' offer. MLB.com reported that the Braves' offer was for less than $4 million. A source indicated the Chicago White Sox also have expressed late interest.

At this point, if Damon landed with any team other than the Tigers or Braves, it would be a surprise. He and Boras have been publicly expressing their admiration for both teams. And both, conveniently, hold spring training close to Damon's home in Orlando.

Officials of both the Tigers and Braves declined to characterize their offers or the state of their negotiations Thursday. However, speculation in the industry, from people who have spoken with various principals, is that Damon will make a decision by the end of the week.

For the kind of money now being talked about for Damon, why not revisit the option of Carlos Delgado?

He can't play the field, so it looks like his options are limited to an American League team as a DH.

So, what team needs a left handed power hitting DH more than the Sox?

If he signed with the Sox, he could bat cleanup, right in the middle of all of the right handed hitters:

Pierre

Beckham

Quentin

Delgado

Konerko

A.J.

Rios

Teahen

Ramirez

That would add a presence and make the offense formidable. If Delgado struggles vs lefties, there is always Jones as a platoon option.

The question is; whose roster spot would Delgado take?