SN: Sox Say No to Jim Thome

Heads22

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think Jim was some magical answer, but he was a far better alternative to the rotating DH, IMO. Unfortunately I think the White Sox are going to find out they're a bat short, fortunately the division will allow them to hang around.

In the end they'll end up using prospects to fill the hole.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
In the end they'll end up using prospects to fill the hole.

That's a point I wanted to bring up but forgot to in the other Thome thread. Signing Thome may have given us some room to acquire somebody like Peavy or Rios midseason, but you have to give up talent to get talent. It's not often that you get to fleece a team out of its best players because they can't afford them.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
i like it. you make a commitment to change your approach then you have to make some tough choices. One dimensional guys on the far downside of their careers just don't fit the mold.

Good luck, Jim.

Even when those choices involve you getting worse than you had been with said one dimensional guys?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
Without another power hitter, this team will be lucky to win the 79 games that they won last year.

I'm expecting 150+ games from Beckham, Quentin, and Rios. Something they didn't have last year. Quentin has to stay healthy. Rios has to play to his career average. And Beckham just has to be himself.

Put on top of that a real solid pitching staff headed by a healthy Jake Peavy, and we're in real good shape. This is a 90-win team if they stay healthy.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
Without another power hitter, this team will be lucky to win the 79 games that they won last year.

I think your way over-reacting, this team will still be competitive with the pitching staff we have, the addition of another power hitter would be imo the piece that puts us from a mid 80's win team to that in the 90's. That being said, I am also discouraged by Thome not being brought back but at same time I was not happy with the off-season that lead to the sox winning a WS too.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
Carl Everett was the DH when they won a world series.

Actually, to be accurate. Thomas was the DH for most of the season. When Everett replaced him, the team started to lose their 10+ game lead on Cleveland.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)
Actually, to be accurate. Thomas was the DH for most of the season. When Everett replaced him, the team started to lose their 10+ game lead on Cleveland.

Everett was the everyday DH for the first 2 months and the final 2.5 months of the season and played sporadically at DH in between, totally 107 games at DH in all. I think your time line is a little off.