Manny Should Just Retire...

Paulie4Pres

When more than half of your argument revolves around calling the other person names, I think you need to explore yourself a little closer if you want to see where the joke lies. Argue the point at hand, not the person you are arguing with.

I'm doing both. It's to the point AND entertaining! :P

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 05:33 AM)
I kind of wonder how many Dodger fans said this last year......

"Jim Thome just sucks. He needs to retire. Such a bum."

Similar situations, except Manny has been better than Thome was.

Good analogy (yes, that was sincere). Maybe Manny still has something left in the tank, but it's not going to be for the White Sox. His tenure here has been an absolute disappointment.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
I kind of wonder how many Dodger fans said this last year......

"Jim Thome just sucks. He needs to retire. Such a bum."

Similar situations, except Manny has been better than Thome was.

There is more to the Manny pessimism than Thome obviously. Both did get the same ordeal like you said.. one of them however might actually be on the downhill without PEDs. I don't believe it personally however, but it is what it is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
I wonder where he'll wind up next year.

Where is Manny's next stop?

I remember hearing rumblings about Manny talking to Thome (or visa versa) about signing one year deals with the Tribe their last season and riding off into the sunset. Stranger things have happened. That being said...just standing there in two consecutive at bats with men on base like that and just watching 2 strikes with the bat on your shoulder is unexceptable...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
I remember hearing rumblings about Manny talking to Thome (or visa versa) about signing one year deals with the Tribe their last season and riding off into the sunset. Stranger things have happened. That being said...just standing there in two consecutive at bats with men on base like that and just watching 2 strikes with the bat on your shoulder is unexceptable...

I don't think Manny is done yet. He just have to get his timing back. You could tell he was pressing at the plate. I'm not saying that I'd want to definitely have him back next year (I don't think it would bother me all that much), but I believe that wherever he goes, he will mash again... as long as he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
I will argue this. Manny has given Konerko protection in the lineup. He's been our second most competent hitter over the past 2 weeks. His approach is the 2nd greatest behind Konerko. He has taken walks when the opposition has given them to him. He has gone the opposite way when that's what he's been given. He's struck out, for the most part, at swinging at pitches in his zone.

As Ozzie said, you're expecting way too much of Manny. He was never going to be a saviour. In baseball, there is no such thing. Amazing pitchers can only pitch once out of every 5 games. Amazing hitters need other amazing hitters for protection and to drive them in or to give them RBI opportunities.

Last, but not least, remember that Manny was injured for a good chunk of the season. He has to get him timing down on those inside pitches. I'm not excusing him from anything, but I'm not going to blindly place the blame on him because he hasn't gone on a Dodger streak yet. He has been the 2nd least of our problems.

Sadly, that's basically the reason we picked him up.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
I don't think Manny is done yet. He just have to get his timing back. You could tell he was pressing at the plate. I'm not saying that I'd want to definitely have him back next year (I don't think it would bother me all that much), but I believe that wherever he goes, he will mash again... as long as he can stay healthy.

I don't understand why Manny gets this free pass about his "timing" not being there.

I mean WTF? He's a veteran. And pressing at the plate? Again WTF. He's been at the plate many many pressure situations before.

He's just not very good. He gets a big fat FAIL for his time in Chicago.

Not to say he won't rock next year. Now that he's a former Sox I hope he does his rocking somewhere in the NL or AL West.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
I don't understand why Manny gets this free pass about his "timing" not being there.

I mean WTF? He's a veteran. And pressing at the plate? Again WTF. He's been at the plate many many pressure situations before.

He's just not very good. He gets a big fat FAIL for his time in Chicago.

Not to say he won't rock next year. Now that he's a former Sox I hope he does his rocking somewhere in the NL or AL West.

He just came back from injury a couple weeks ago.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Does anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that the Sox will offer Manny a one year incentive-laden deal?

I'd be down.

It's easy to blame Manny, but we were 4.5 out when we got him, and the team has given up like 6-10 runs per game since he was acquired. Our pitching staff has been HORRIBLE down the stretch, and the possibility of coming back before Manny even swung a bat for us was hard to fathom.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
I'd be down.

It's easy to blame Manny, but we were 4.5 out when we got him, and the team has given up like 6-10 runs per game since he was acquired. Our pitching staff has been HORRIBLE down the stretch, and the possibility of coming back before Manny even swung a bat for us was hard to fathom.

I'd be down too IF the Sox got a legitimate RF (SHIN SOO CHOO!!!) and some more bullpen help.