2010-2011 NBA Thread

The New York Knicks have made significant progress in recent days in their efforts to acquire Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets, a source told ESPN.com Tuesday.

After a period of dormancy following the collapse of a four-team trade late last month between New Jersey, Denver, Utah and Charlotte, the Knicks got back in on the bidding about two weeks ago after Anthony made it known to the Nuggets that he would not budge on his refusal to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension with Denver.

The offers the Knicks have proposed have always centered around packages including Anthony Randolph, the expiring contract of Eddy Curry and a first-round draft pick they would acquire from a third team, and New York has softened its stance on including forward Danilo Gallinari in a trade.

The most recent obstacle, according to the source, was for the Knicks to use one of those assets, likely Randolph or Gallinari, to acquire a player from a third team that the Nuggets value more highly than either of the Knicks forwards. The source said that obstacle can now be overcome, with the Knicks confident they can get their hands on a player the Nuggets would prefer.

The source also cautioned that the Chicago Bulls remained in the Melo mix, although the contract extension Chicago reached earlier this month with Joakim Noah would preclude him from being included in any deal the Bulls would put together for Anthony.

Also, New Jersey has faded from the Anthony sweepstakes, growing disinclined to include rookie Derrick Favors in a trade, a league source told ESPN.com's J.A. Adande.

I think that it will definitely be a long time before anything like this could happen. Again, the Knicks trade would run into the same issue that the Nets trade would have for the Nuggets; it doesn't make them obviously better at any point in the near future. It clears some cap space from Curry, but you're downgrading at SF to do that, and you're not going to be far enough under the cap to do anything with that space other than sign Gallinari. You really need a team like the T-wolves to give up their pick to the Knicks to make it worth while. It's a competitive offer compared with "losing Anthony for nothing", but without what appears to be a legitimate top 5 pick coming, it's not even as good as the last offer.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
I think that it will definitely be a long time before anything like this could happen. Again, the Knicks trade would run into the same issue that the Nets trade would have for the Nuggets; it doesn't make them obviously better at any point in the near future. It clears some cap space from Curry, but you're downgrading at SF to do that, and you're not going to be far enough under the cap to do anything with that space other than sign Gallinari. You really need a team like the T-wolves to give up their pick to the Knicks to make it worth while. It's a competitive offer compared with "losing Anthony for nothing", but without what appears to be a legitimate top 5 pick coming, it's not even as good as the last offer.

That's still an absolute crap package for Melo. The Nuggets are better off waiting till the deadline and seeing if anyone else will bite.

Listening to the new Simmons podcast and he mentioned stories out of Philly about Evan Turner not fitting in and being a headcase already. Talking bust already.

Turner may not produce right away but I think eventually he will adapt, like college and be good.

I saw his attitude in high school and thought he grew out of it last year but maybe not.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
Listening to the new Simmons podcast and he mentioned stories out of Philly about Evan Turner not fitting in and being a headcase already. Talking bust already.

Turner may not produce right away but I think eventually he will adapt, like college and be good.

I saw his attitude in high school and thought he grew out of it last year but maybe not.

I read an article that mentioned the opposite from the coaching staff, so I think he is really just relaying the fans perspective after summer league. The coaching staff has said how hard working he is compared to their other players. The guy may not be a supreme athlete, but he's a workhouse that will make the most of his talent.

Sixers team president Rod Thorn, who has been around the game long enough to know exactly what works and what doesn't, takes the same matter-of-fact view of Turner as Turner does of himself.

"He is the hardest-working guy we have. He's been in town about a month and a couple weeks, and he's gotten better every week," Thorn said. "He can pass, rebound and is tough down the stretch of games."

But ...

"He needs to improve his shooting if he's going to play the (shooting) guard," Thorn said. "He's not a great athlete, so, as all young kids, he needs to get better defensively. He's trailing too much."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sport...ar.html?sid=101

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...tory?id=5707475

Every time this man talks I dislike him more and more. He should of known this hate would have come with a move to Miami, and if he didn't maybe he should have gotten a PR guy that did.

My 2 cents.

Whenever you make a ton of people mad, there are going to be those who sadly use racial slurs against that person. In this case, it's LeBron. It isn't right, nor do I okay it, but it also doesn't mean these people hate him because they're racist. Rather, it's the best thing they can think of as an insult. It's like when a deragatory gay term is used to degrate someone. They may not be homophobic, but they use it. I also thought he said he wasn't going to listen to his critics, but yet he admits that he reads all the hate and uses it for motivation. So which one is it?

With that said, I still want LeBron to flat out say he's going against MJ too. Because he keeps saying he's taking notes, but no one is man enough to ask him if he's written Michael's name on the list.

Last, but not least, it will never end the way LeBron wants it to. When it is all said and done, people will find something to discredit him. To make him seem lesser. And whether or not, he feels it's true, doesn't matter. Because becoming legendary comes from the outside perspective, not within. So he's always going to be chasing people's satisfaction, but he will never obtain it. Because he chose to hop on someone else's bandwagon. He said he couldn't do it himself by his actions. It's one thing to leave for a better team, another to leave for an all-superstar team where you can take nights off and not worry because you're still going to have two other all-stars who will bail you out.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
Well coaches usually dont bad mouth their their players, especially with top draft picks.

Yeah but he's has history of being an extremely hard worker. The guy couldnt handle the ball to save his life coming out of HS and worked his way to being a pretty dominant PG at the college level albeit out of position for him. I still dont think he's a 2 in the NBA, I think hes a solid 3 with the ability to handle the rock.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...tory?id=5707475

Every time this man talks I dislike him more and more. He should of known this hate would have come with a move to Miami, and if he didn't maybe he should have gotten a PR guy that did.

Look at any youtube post, internet message board or newspaper article comment section and you find stuff like that. If he really thinks we should show sympathy towards him because of anonymous internet comments to his Twitter site he literally need a brain transplant. The one thing I gather from this entire situation is that LeBron is pretty much a complete moron.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
Yeah but he's has history of being an extremely hard worker. The guy couldnt handle the ball to save his life coming out of HS and worked his way to being a pretty dominant PG at the college level albeit out of position for him. I still dont think he's a 2 in the NBA, I think hes a solid 3 with the ability to handle the rock.

Agreed on that. Honestly, I think he'll end up being Andre Iguodala with maybe a bit better jumper. They need to move Iguodala though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
I read an article that mentioned the opposite from the coaching staff, so I think he is really just relaying the fans perspective after summer league. The coaching staff has said how hard working he is compared to their other players. The guy may not be a supreme athlete, but he's a workhouse that will make the most of his talent.

Agreed 100%, but he is still a huge douche. Always has been. It's sad when Derrick Rose doesn't like you, and he is known as one of the easiest guys to get along with.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Agreed 100%, but he is still a huge douche. Always has been. It's sad when Derrick Rose doesn't like you, and he is known as one of the easiest guys to get along with.

Does that make McCamey a huge douche as well?

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
No idea on him. Turner has a rep though in Chicago since high school.

Well some of that is going to St Joes. He and Rose dont like each other because they were rivals. Outside of the Chicago bball scene he is extremely well regarded as a gracious and respectable young man. The story of him honoring John Moll and keeping close to his family shows what kind of kid he is. He was the same to Talor Battle when his mother became ill.

There is much more to a player than the city perception of a guy who was the rival of a kid who was basically the sweetheart of Chicago and still is.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Look at any youtube post, internet message board or newspaper article comment section and you find stuff like that. If he really thinks we should show sympathy towards him because of anonymous internet comments to his Twitter site he literally need a brain transplant. The one thing I gather from this entire situation is that LeBron is pretty much a complete moron.

I'd be totally amazed if he wasn't regularly getting hate mails & such before his move. I figure every athlete does.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
I'd be totally amazed if he wasn't regularly getting hate mails & such before his move. I figure every athlete does.

In all seriousness, it isn't too far from Akron to some serious Klan country. I'd bet he has more than a few "fans" out there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)

And he also needs to realize that I am not going to show any sympathy to someone making millions of dollars to play a game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
ESPN has some pretty cool Marvel Comic Variant covers, created by Marvel, for the NBA Season preview.

West Preview

East Preview

5103458902_909abf76fe_b.jpg

That's the Bulls' one. Of course, it's one of the weaker efforts, as Boozer doesn't make me think of "The Hulk".

The Dwight as Wolverine one is my favorite, I think.

Finally a basketball preview that Derrick Rose could read...

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
And he also needs to realize that I am not going to show any sympathy to someone making millions of dollars to play a game.

Give me LeBron's salary and you can call me a n***** every day for a year.