2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no place for the racist crap Lebron gets, but you can't tell me he never got any before he signed with the Heat. If he's looking for sympathy, hey what they are sending you shouldn't be sent, and no one should ever have to deal with it, but bringing it up now.................wow. I bet you every black player who has ever played in the NBA has been called that plenty of times.

I love him crying about how hard it is to be a professional athlete. Then why don't you just retire and do something else? All athletes, all entertainers have to know coming in, the interaction, the lack of privacy, the love, the hate is all part of it. Its the big reason the careers are so lucrative. If no one really cared, playing basketball may net you 100K a year.

And if he's getting all this hate on Twitter and its bothering him, can't he just get rid of it? Oh yeah, he probably gets paid huge money to hawk stuff there.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
There's no place for the racist crap Lebron gets, but you can't tell me he never got any before he signed with the Heat. If he's looking for sympathy, hey what they are sending you shouldn't be sent, and no one should ever have to deal with it, but bringing it up now.................wow. I bet you every black player who has ever played in the NBA has been called that plenty of times.

I love him crying about how hard it is to be a professional athlete. Then why don't you just retire and do something else? All athletes, all entertainers have to know coming in, the interaction, the lack of privacy, the love, the hate is all part of it. Its the big reason the careers are so lucrative. If no one really cared, playing basketball may net you 100K a year.

And if he's getting all this hate on Twitter and its bothering him, can't he just get rid of it? Oh yeah, he probably gets paid huge money to hawk stuff there.

This ftw.

If I were a Heat fan, I wouldn't call where they're sitting right now an auspicious start. (Of course, I'd say the same thing about the Bulls this year having lost Boozer, and I'd have said the same thing about the Bulls last year when Rose got hurt).

For starters, the Heat are struggling to develop the cohesion and continuity that those Celtics seemed to posses from Day 1. Miami lost for the fourth time in seven preseason games Thursday, a 98-89 defeat to the Hawks, and compared to the ’07-08 Celtics face on crucial difference in the early going: Injuries.

Most obviously, Dwyane Wade played only three preseason minutes with LeBron James and Chris Bosh before checking out with a hamstring pull. Meanwhile, sharpshooter Mike Miller could miss the next two months with a thumb injury, taking two of the team’s three key wings offline during a crucial phase in their meshing. Two other key guards, Eddie House and Mario Chalmers, also missed time before rejoining the lineup Thursday. While the good news is that Wade will rejoin the team in Tampa Friday before its final preseason game (though he’s unlikely to play), the Heat have lost the opportunity to integrate their three stars before the real games start.

The difference was especially notable on this night for two reasons. First, I went to a preseason game and a regular-season contest broke out, mostly because both sides played their starters most of the game and left the scrubs on the pine. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said afterward he was trying to use a regular-season rotation for this game, with LeBron James playing 38 minutes and Chris Bosh playing 40.

But second, I went to see the Miami Heat and a Cleveland Cavaliers game broke out. With James dominating the ball, a succession of second-rate Heaters trying to fill in for the injured Wade and Miller (James Jones started, for crying out loud, and played 34 horrifying minutes), and Chris Bosh weirdly ineffective, we largely saw a re-enactment of the Cleveland-era LeBron.

James was mostly brilliant, finishing with 38 points, 11 rebounds and a laughable two assists (he had at least three others that were clear-as-day, immediate-shot-after-the-catch dimes which somehow didn’t land on his ledger), but by the middle of the third quarter he seemed weary from dribbling around for 20 seconds on every trip.

Moreover, just like with the Cavs, the Miami offense often degenerated into the pick-and-stand-around play -- the one where James retreats after a high screen and then works on one-on-one from the top of the key. The only times Miami’s attack really seemed effective was in transition, where James remains an unstoppable freight train; on one play he completed a basket despite being tackled around the neck by Marvin Williams.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
That whole expanding into Canada idea worked out splendidly.

You gotta wonder what the other variables to play with there could have been. Neither of those teams have made a legitimate championship run. Both have had players screw them over completely (Hi Vince!). If the NBA weren't such a star-dominated league or if the NBA's CBA had recognized that in some other way, they might have had more of a chance to grow organically into the population. If you're expanding, you ought to probably think of it as a 30 year process, where the team goes through 2 stadiums, probably more than 1 ownership group, and has a full opportunity to integrate itself into the area. Otherwise you're going after quick returns that might disappear very rapidly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
You gotta wonder what the other variables to play with there could have been. Neither of those teams have made a legitimate championship run. Both have had players screw them over completely (Hi Vince!). If the NBA weren't such a star-dominated league or if the NBA's CBA had recognized that in some other way, they might have had more of a chance to grow organically into the population. If you're expanding, you ought to probably think of it as a 30 year process, where the team goes through 2 stadiums, probably more than 1 ownership group, and has a full opportunity to integrate itself into the area. Otherwise you're going after quick returns that might disappear very rapidly.

The crazy thing is that Toronto has been there almost a generation now. They came in 1995.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
The crazy thing is that Toronto has been there almost a generation now. They came in 1995.

But the league's numbers actually reflect that. Googling the franchise value puts the Raptors in the top 15 of total franchise value. Their revenue situation has remained strong. Their financial situation has actually improved relative to the rest of the league over the past 5 years.

We immediately think of them as contraction candidates because they haven't made significant steps towards building a winning team, they lose the superstars they do get, and when they go out on the FA market it's for obvious mistakes like Turkoglu. But at least from the balance sheet point of view, they should be no where near the top of the contraction pile. The teams at the bottom of the list are teams like the Grizzlies, the Bucks, the Hornets, and the Nets (and the Nets were just sold for about 1/2 of the Forbes appraised value of the Raptors to a Mad Russian Billionaire.)

One story i read was that the Milwaukee Bucks could be near the top of the list to go.

"the Milwaukee Bucks are at or near the bottom in the NBA in terms of the size of its market. And although the Bucks do not disclose financial figures, U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.) has said for years that the team loses money."

Anyone else listen to the new Simmons podcast with Mark Jackson? I had to stop listening because the crap Jackson was spewing was killing me.

Saying Jordan is full of it that he wouldn't colaborate with other superstars if given the chance because he already had one in Pippen...who was home grown, Mark.

Simmons brought up the fact that Steve Kerr said that during the 72 win season, there were 8 games where MJ carried the team when they had back to backs or 4 games in 6 days and Jackson said that wasn't true because other guys were doing things. Sorry, Mark. I'll take the word of the guy that was on the team.

Just other stuff about how he doesn't blame Lebron and it won't diminish his legacy at all if they win a title.

Only thing I agreed with is when he said the Heat won't win 72 games or more.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Anyone else listen to the new Simmons podcast with Mark Jackson? I had to stop listening because the crap Jackson was spewing was killing me.

Saying Jordan is full of it that he wouldn't colaborate with other superstars if given the chance because he already had one in Pippen...who was home grown, Mark.

Simmons brought up the fact that Steve Kerr said that during the 72 win season, there were 8 games where MJ carried the team when they had back to backs or 4 games in 6 days and Jackson said that wasn't true because other guys were doing things. Sorry, Mark. I'll take the word of the guy that was on the team.

Just other stuff about how he doesn't blame Lebron and it won't diminish his legacy at all if they win a title.

Only thing I agreed with is when he said the Heat won't win 72 games or more.

Did he wipe his mouth off after he got out of LeBrons lap?

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
I think Mark Jackson is still stinging from his teams getting beat by Jordan repeatedly...

It's pretty obvious.

And man, the dude just wants to blow LBJ. I'm listening to the podcast right now.