Verizon announces iPhone

Y2HH

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Has anyone heard whether Verizon will be offering an unlimited data plan? I dont want to lose the one i have with at&t if verizon doesn't offer it.

WSJ says yes to unlimited plans

Me, I'm going to change. I've been with a Blackberry Storm for almost 2 years, and I've learned just how much of an abomination RIM actually is.

My AT&T contract isn't up until September, so I'll just sit back and see how this plays out for Verizon before I see if I want to switch. The unlimited data plan is a must though in my opinion.

My 3Gs is fine for now...

Never go the need for both Data and Talk working at the same time. For the VZW iPhone, it does with WiFi. Either way, VZW screwed customers two ways in this. One, they're getting a crippled iPhone. So once the improvement comes out in 10 months to a year, people who couldn't wait won't be able to get a new one until 2 years after the fact. For anyone planning on upgrading with New Every 2 can't since they're ending that program January 16th or so. This is a move strictly to take away ATT subscribers. Last, but not least, those who got Droids for VZW and bought into their hype as iPhone killers.

I'm glad with Sprint now though. Got my rooted Evo, and a hell of a plan and bill.

Pissed that VZ still hasn't added Windows Mobile 7. I'm still hoping they do, and stat. After switching over from Sprint due to their ass customer service in March I have nothing but good things to say about VZ. I have a phone upgrade coming up in 8 months- I was however sort of set on that upgrade being the next Samsung Omnia model running WM7. I've never been one for iPhones, and Androids. I'll let everyone else have the same phone together. I don't want to be limited to either Android or iPhone, and if those are my options, can't do it. Bummer, emphasizing again that everything else about the carrier is awesome.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
i think im going to wait until a 4G compatible iphone comes out before deciding to make any kind of carrier switch at this time.

Smart move. I was thinking the same thing. I was contemplating the switch until I heard it was still CDMA.

I don't think Verizon's network is going to have problems handling the extra traffic. They've been dealing with high-bandwidth smartphones for a couple of years now so they don't have to scramble to keep up the way AT&T did, they've been able to build up their network more or less in peace.

Also depending on where you live your iPhone might be nerfed on Verizon's network since technically AT&T's network is about twice as fast. Although this was already true.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
I don't think Verizon's network is going to have problems handling the extra traffic. They've been dealing with high-bandwidth smartphones for a couple of years now so they don't have to scramble to keep up the way AT&T did, they've been able to build up their network more or less in peace.

Also depending on where you live your iPhone might be nerfed on Verizon's network since technically AT&T's network is about twice as fast. Although this was already true.

Ultimately, it's not that Verizon will actually have problems, it's that a small part of the population will complain like hell about the suddenly slow network and make Verizon look bad.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 04:10 AM)

dude, the traffic verizon has handled from their smart phones is not even close. They are going to slow quite a bit. This is good for everyone. But yeah i'd wait for 4g and LTE iphones.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
dude, the traffic verizon has handled from their smart phones is not even close. They are going to slow quite a bit. This is good for everyone. But yeah i'd wait for 4g and LTE iphones.

Supposedly, Verizon handles even more data than AT&T from Android phones, however, I find these studies dubious, at best. While Android as a whole may use more bandwidth, it's distributed across a wide range of American cell networks, where every iPhone is concentrated on one, and often in dense city areas, such as San Fran, Manhattan, etc. While I have no doubt there are high bandwidth users of Android, (LittleSqwert as one example), most people I know with Android devices barely use data other than email. TXT messages are not sent over data networks, BTW, they're sent over the voice net.

Granted the only "evidence" I have that Verizon will run into trouble is that upon Verizon announcing the iPhone, their website was down periodically due to stress...imagine that. What's interesting about it is that it was merely a website showing the data/time they were getting the iPhone (next month), which brought their entire website to it's knees...it wasn't taking pre-orders or orders...just announcing it.

If they were actually taking orders yesterday...it would have been down hard.

All that said. AT&T sucks. Hard.

Link

"Verizon customers told us they want the iPhone now," Cook said, explaining why the carrier will begin selling a 3G version first. The first batch of chips designed for Verizon's 4G network would require Apple to rework the phone's casing and "force design changes we wouldn't make," he said.

Last week at the Consumer Electronics Show, Verizon Wireless said it will have 10 devices that take advantage of its faster 4G network, including four phones, by midyear.

Motorola's Xoom tablet, which is coming out in the next few months, will have only a 3G chip to start, but owners will be able to upgrade to 4G at Verizon stores later in the year.

Verizon and Apple gave no indication that the Verizon iPhone 4 can be upgraded. However, images on tech blogs Tuesday suggest that some changes appear to have been made to the phone's casing, including an extra ridge in the top corner.

Apple traditionally releases new iPhones during the summer. When asked when an upgraded version of the phone for Verizon would debut, Cook declined to comment.

By launching an iPhone with 3G first, Verizon may be playing it safe in anticipation of an upgraded phone later, one analyst said.

"Verizon has a very large, very deep CDMA network, whereas their 4G LTE network is still relatively new, not completely pervasive and somewhat unproven," said Dan Hays, a consultant for PRTM who works with major U.S. carriers but declined to say which ones because of non-disclosure agreements. "I think that this opens the door for Apple to have the iPhone 5 be a 4G device."

Apple's partnership with Verizon involves a "multiyear, non-exclusive deal," Cook said Tuesday. "We've been looking forward to today for a long time."

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
So, I'm about to upgrade from an old blackberry on Verizon. I don't know if I should go the Android, Windows, iPhone, newer Blackberry route. Any suggestions? Should I buy one now or is anything coming out I should wait for?

Each phone has pros and cons, you have to figure which one fits your needs the best. Do you use it primarily for email? Entertainment? Do you like to mess with your phone a lot or keep it simple? etc....

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
Each phone has pros and cons, you have to figure which one fits your needs the best. Do you use it primarily for email? Entertainment? Do you like to mess with your phone a lot or keep it simple? etc....

I never really use it for games or anything. Mainly texting, bbm (for now obviously), emails, and the internet when I need to look something up.

Oh. I also wouldn't mind taken pictures and videos.

Edited by Sox72

Iphone users that switch are going to complain about how slow it is, also the voice/data thing is an issue if you use your phone as a mobile hot spot and actually want to make calls at the same time, which for alot of traveling workers is going to be an issue.

Supposedly Apple is going to release a dual carrier 4G phone in their next real release.

I have had several phones in the past year.

To put it into perspective for anyone that hasn't tried an IPhone:

I live in a small town with a city board that for some reason hates cell phone towers, and as a result AT&T has zero service.

The IPhone is so much easier to use that I carry one on top of my talk phone (US Cellular) just to use for work applications.

I have owned two HTC Touch phones from US Cellular and the original Droid and Droid Incredible from Verizon, as well as the EVO with Sprint. None can hold a candle to the Iphone. The only one that is close is the EVO but Sprint's service isn't much better and half of the apps I use for work aren't on Android Marketplace.

I don't like most Apple products, BUT trust me, the Iphone is easily the best phone on the market for non talking applications. So.... if Verizon can hold the network together it will be a no brainer to go with the Iphone on Verizon.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
Smart move. I was thinking the same thing. I was contemplating the switch until I heard it was still CDMA.

I was thinking the same thing for VZW customers who are ready to get this iPhone. Might as well wait since you have to keep the phone for two years. It better be running optimally.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
I was thinking the same thing for VZW customers who are ready to get this iPhone. Might as well wait since you have to keep the phone for two years. It better be running optimally.

i was reading somewhere that the new every 2 promotion was being removed from verizon as well let me look for the link...