2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
If they did go to 15 teams in each league, what do they do about the odd number scheduling? Do you have an interleague matchup every week? Or does one team get a series off at a time?

There would be either one or three interleague series going all season.

If each team is playing 18 interleague games, that's 90 total interleague series spread out over 25 or 26 weeks...I'm hoping they shorten the regular season by a week and play some scheduled doubleheaders, or just play less games.

So assuming they want interleague series mainly on weekends, they could have 20 weekends with 3 series each, and the other 30 series would be one at a time on weekday series and the rest of the weekends.

I'd actually like to see them go down to 12 interleague games, which would mean 60 total interleague series spread out. Not that bad.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's about time that the NL goes to the DH. Quarterbacks stopped being placekickers and punters several years ago, so I think it's OK if pitchers stop hitting any day now. That would get both the AL and the NL on the same rulebook.

Seriously, it's absurd that the AL and NL play two separate and entirely different games.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
I think it's about time that the NL goes to the DH. Quarterbacks stopped being placekickers and punters several years ago, so I think it's OK if pitchers stop hitting any day now. That would get both the AL and the NL on the same rulebook.

Seriously, it's absurd that the AL and NL play two separate and entirely different games.

I'd say it's more likely that MLB does away with the DH than the NL goes to it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)

I hope so. I would actually prefer the NL concept of pitchers batting over the DH, except for the fact that most pitchers are so bad at hitting, it ruins it. I understand the strategy involved, but it's just not fun to watch inept hitters flailing away at pitchers with little to no chance to hit them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
I'd say it's more likely that MLB does away with the DH than the NL goes to it.

It would put too many players out of jobs.

I don't know what the average DH makes but I doubt teams will want to keep them around for the same price to be a back-up which is essentially what they would turn into.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
It would put too many players out of jobs.

I don't know what the average DH makes but I doubt teams will want to keep them around for the same price to be a back-up which is essentially what they would turn into.

Well clearly there'd be a phase-out/warning phase so that teams could rebalance their rosters.

But either way, it's locked in there in the AL and it's not happening in the NL.

I gotta say...the DH in the AL, pitchers hit in the NL doesn't bother me. AL fans like the DH. NL fans like pitchers hitting. It wouldn't bother me if they kept it the way it is, but if they're going to make it the same, they have to add the DH in the NL. There's no way the player's association is giving that up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
I gotta say...the DH in the AL, pitchers hit in the NL doesn't bother me. AL fans like the DH. NL fans like pitchers hitting. It wouldn't bother me if they kept it the way it is, but if they're going to make it the same, they have to add the DH in the NL. There's no way the player's association is giving that up.

I completely agree with all of this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)

Wait, was that actually the case at one point?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Now I am hearing that the Astros owner said he wants to stay in the NL (no s***), but the Dbacks said they are willing to move to the AL if it helps the league.

that would SUCK

The Sox haven't been down here since the early 2000's when Ray Durham was still on the team.. im ready to actually go to 3 or 4 Sox games in a row..

As much as Bob Costas wants it to be, it's not the 1960's anymore. The games aren't broadcast in black and white and pitchers can't hit PERIOD (sans like 5 guys maybe out of 350+ pitchers on MLB rosters)... DH for both leagues.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Jeff Passan thinks he'll get a Carl Crawford-like deal.

He sure found a good time to have a career year. Nobody would have said he'd deserve a Crawford-like deal this time last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Jeff Passan thinks he'll get a Carl Crawford-like deal.

I certainly wouldn't offer him that kind of money (without a heckuva insurance plan at least)...but I wouldn't put it past some GM's.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
He sure found a good time to have a career year. Nobody would have said he'd deserve a Crawford-like deal this time last year.

He's been easily the best player at his position to this point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
I certainly wouldn't offer him that kind of money (without a heckuva insurance plan at least)...but I wouldn't put it past some GM's.

It's hard to believe he's only 27. If he keeps this up all year (no reason he shouldn't, as talent has never been an issue), there most definitely will be a team(s) out there willing to sign a superstar SS in his prime to a similar deal. They won't care about one injury plagued year.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
If someone signs him to a Carl Crawford like deal in a few years he'll top the horrible current contracts in baseball lists...

You're thinking Prince Fielder. Though he's been a monster this year. I have no idea what it is with him and odd-numbered years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
It's hard to believe he's only 27. If he keeps this up all year (no reason he shouldn't, as talent has never been an issue), there most definitely will be a team(s) out there willing to sign a superstar SS in his prime to a similar deal. They won't care about one injury plagued year.

It's at least 2 injury plagued years.