Can the Twins win the AL Central

southsider2k5

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb-wp9501

That's the line being loudly whispered among Minnesota Twins fans as Ron Gardenhire's crew has cut their AL Central deficit from 16.5 games on June 1 to just nine heading into tonight's series opener against the Chicago White Sox at Target Field.

And lest you believe I'm inventing a straw man for this post, let it be known that ESPN 1500's Phil Mackey has been leading the charge on his Twitter account. BLS pal@bennyc50 has been doing the same with some funny apocalypse-themed billboards on That's Twins Baseball (seriously, go check the rest of them out).

Anyway, these appear to be pretty heady times for a fanbase that has seen the Twins win nine of their last 11, yet still sport an ugly record of 26-39, bad enough for worst in the entire American League.

So what's the deal? Did these optimistic TC Bears get into some bad berries?

The roots of their optimism are starting to show. Over the next week or so, they're scheduled to get back almost every Twins players you've ever heard of. So the return of Joe Mauer(notes), Jim Thome(notes), Denard Span(notes) and others means no more Triple-A lineups or big worries if Justin Morneau(notes) has to sit longer to heal a troublesome wrist. Other factors putting a spring into a Twins' fans step today are a lot of games against the underwhelming collection of teams in the AL Central as well as the inspiration of the left-for-dead squads of '06 and '09, when Minnesota successfully chased down the Detroit Tigers by the end of the season for the division title.

Can the Twins really make a run at the AL Central title?But going from worst to first this year, of course, would be the toughest task for the Twins to date. Their lowest water mark in the '06 and '09 seasons was 25-33 on June 7, 2006. So despite their recent surge, the Twins are still well behind the pace of the recent comebacks that have established their reputation as a team you can't turn your back on.

Also, if we're operating under a possibly big assumption that a meager 86 wins take the AL Central title, the Twins would have to go 60-37 the rest of the way to get there. No team in baseball — not even the Red Sox nor the Phillies — has played at a .618 clip to this point of the season.

So do we pat the Twins fans on the head, say "aww, that's cute" and "nice Photoshops" before sending them on their way? That would seem to be the smart and logical case.

But given their history, can we ever feel totally comfortable while doing so?

I like the Judgement Day billboard.

Is that a random date picked or are they assuming they'll sweep the Sox and therefore be back in the race still 10 games below .500 and possibly still in last place (depending on the Royals)

• 3 weeks later...

They have to go 54-29 to reach a record of 88-74, which is my guestimate of what it will take to win the division. Their 15-2 run was scary, but they're still wracked with injuries and a lot of their players are struggling. They need to turn the act around quick, and I just don't see it happening.

Then again, they are the Twins. Crap, crap, crap...

A .651 winning percentage for that club over half a season ain't nothin but a thang. In their final 72 games last year, they went 47-25; that's a .652 winning percentage. In 2006, they went 69-32 over their final 101 games; that's a .683 winning percentage.

They need to get a couple guys back, but they can absolutely still make a run at the division. That's why the Sox need to win about 92 games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
The big problem is they can only sell so many guys. They have two massive deals on their books for a really long time.

Morneau isnt going anywhere with that contract and his injuries, and Mauer is still the face of the org despite his year. They could possibly sell off Thome and Kubel to an AL contender looking for a LH DH, or Kubel to a NL team looking for a LH outfielder. I dont know how they feel about Young but he is another guy with injuries piling up this year. Liriano is such a hot/cold player for them, I really think they would explore moving him for prospects. Capps is another guy who can go if they feel confident about Nathan rounding back into form.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Morneau isnt going anywhere with that contract and his injuries, and Mauer is still the face of the org despite his year. They could possibly sell off Thome and Kubel to an AL contender looking for a LH DH, or Kubel to a NL team looking for a LH outfielder. I dont know how they feel about Young but he is another guy with injuries piling up this year. Liriano is such a hot/cold player for them, I really think they would explore moving him for prospects. Capps is another guy who can go if they feel confident about Nathan rounding back into form.

Nathan only has an option for 2012 so he's possibly moveable (small $2 million buyout) if he can get back to the big leagues in the next week or two. Cuddyer is a free agent at the end of the year and is the guy they should move...the same teams people suggest should be interested in Quentin would have a big score to get Cuddyer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)

It's blatantly obvious already how big of a mistake the Joe Mauer contract was.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
It's blatantly obvious already how big of a mistake the Joe Mauer contract was.

That contract was done on the assumption he'd keep putting up numbers like he did in 2009. Even without the injuries this year...the fact that he wasn't all there with the bats in Target field in 2010 made it look iffy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
That contract was done on the assumption he'd keep putting up numbers like he did in 2009. Even without the injuries this year...the fact that he wasn't all there with the bats in Target field in 2010 made it look iffy.

I was watching the Milwaukee broadcast of their game last night and they were talking about Mauer's contract. His hr/ab ratio is 235/1 in Target field, while it was 35/1 in the Metrodome. He's never driven in 100 runs, he's never scored 100 runs, and he's only hit more than 13 home runs in a season once, and he obviously doesn't steal bases. Obviously some of that is because he is a catcher and therefore misses the obligatory 20 games a year or so, but he has also suffered from injuries due to his insistence on being a catcher.

And now they want him to entertain the notion of catching less and playing more 1b and DH and he wants no part of it.

They are fuct.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
I was watching the Milwaukee broadcast of their game last night and they were talking about Mauer's contract. His hr/ab ratio is 235/1 in Target field, while it was 35/1 in the Metrodome. He's never driven in 100 runs, he's never scored 100 runs, and he's only hit more than 13 home runs in a season once, and he obviously doesn't steal bases. Obviously some of that is because he is a catcher and therefore misses the obligatory 20 games a year or so, but he has also suffered from injuries due to his insistence on being a catcher.

And now they want him to entertain the notion of catching less and playing more 1b and DH and he wants no part of it.

They are fuct.

Damn, he even had a year with a OPS over 1.000 and he STILL didn't drive in 100 runs? Talk about a fluke.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)

Mauer has been an injury threat his whole career. They have been talking about try to save his knees by moving him since his rookie year. This shouldn't be a surprise for Minny.

the Twins would of been raked over the coals if they didnt sign Mauer after getting the new stadium. After all, the whole point of Target Field is so they could sign their own guys. The Twins were kind of in a no win situation there. Nathans big contract comes off the books this year, so does Capps. thats about $16 mil in bullpen money eaten up

I think Delmon Young is gone after this year. If they can get a low to mid level minor league guy in return, I think they would pull that trade. Gardy really loves Ben Revere. His ceiling is about Juan Pierre, which is cool by me.

There has been a lot of talk about trading Cuddyer, I am not sure if he gets moved. He is a Twins guy through and through. I think the only way he gets traded s if the other team blows them away with an offer. I think Kubel would get traded before Cuddyer does. Kevin Slowey is probably going to be gone by the trade deadline too.

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Any hope to move Liriano?

If they put him on waivers he'd be claimed. So yes, there's hope to move him.

The question is all about price/return.

If the Twins put Mauer on waivers right now, would the Yankees claim him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
If they put him on waivers he'd be claimed. So yes, there's hope to move him.

The question is all about price/return.

If the Twins put Mauer on waivers right now, would the Yankees claim him?

I think the Twins could actually get a few decent prospects for Liriano, should they choose to deal him.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
the Twins would of been raked over the coals if they didnt sign Mauer after getting the new stadium. After all, the whole point of Target Field is so they could sign their own guys. The Twins were kind of in a no win situation there. Nathans big contract comes off the books this year, so does Capps. thats about $16 mil in bullpen money eaten up

I think Delmon Young is gone after this year. If they can get a low to mid level minor league guy in return, I think they would pull that trade. Gardy really loves Ben Revere. His ceiling is about Juan Pierre, which is cool by me.

There has been a lot of talk about trading Cuddyer, I am not sure if he gets moved. He is a Twins guy through and through. I think the only way he gets traded s if the other team blows them away with an offer. I think Kubel would get traded before Cuddyer does. Kevin Slowey is probably going to be gone by the trade deadline too.

Cuddyer's more important to the team, which is why another team would be better off signing Kubel.

Nishioka's basically been a bust as well, yes?

Who would be closer if you dump Capps and buy out Nathan as well? Twins fans should know after watching Guardado and Nathan for a decade the importance of a strong closer at the back end of the game.

They probably would have been better off going with Revere/Span in the OF, the approach they had with Jones/Stewart/Hunter from 2002-2004.

Never should have given up both Hardy and Hudson and turned the infield completely over. And Valencia's not the same presence.

Without Morneau healthy, even with Mauer hitting like 2009 the Twins are in serious trouble. And Young's putting up nothing like the numbers he put on the board last season.

Then you have Slowey's contract you have to dump, somehow. In the end, all the issues started with assuming they could rebuild the bullpen on the cheap AND tearing apart their veteran leadership in the middle infield.

Edited by caulfield12

Nishioka has been hurt. You never call a guy a bust when he's been hurt unless that's all he's been.

The Twins will find someone they have confidence in as a closer, you know that. Nathan would still be likely to return, IMO, just for a lot less money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Nishioka has been hurt. You never call a guy a bust when he's been hurt unless that's all he's been.

The Twins will find someone they have confidence in as a closer, you know that. Nathan would still be likely to return, IMO, just for a lot less money.

It's possible they give him $2 million NOT to pitch for them next year and then offer him an incentive-laden contract.

Knowing Nathan, he might accept. I'm not sure how wise it would be for them to put all their eggs in the basket of just one potential closer without a back-up plan.

BTW, Mr. Capps just blew a 7-4 lead against the Brewers with the Crew now leading 8-7 after trailing 7-0 in the early stages of the game.

They're also going to have to decide what to do with Pavano again.

And how many Japanese players in the last 5-7 years that have been signed to MLB clubs have actually exceeded expectations?

Not many.

Edited by caulfield12