From "ALL IN" to ALL DUNN!!!!!!!

soxfan72

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
Mike Hampton

Hampton is right up there. He was a great pinch runner, though. When he signed, he had the obligatory press conference, and he said he signed, not because of the money, but because of the great school system in Colorado.

I sensed this a while ago but I'm thoroughly convinced that Ozzie is worn out. With the Sox at least. He looks spent, at a loss, distracted. And who can blame him? Any time this team gets something going, they take three steps backward, so there's no time to enjoy any success. You know, like: last year. And the year before.

And you have to wonder how fun a position it is to be in to have to try and motivate veteran players with whopping salaries (Rios) to run the f***ing bases, when you're already busy trying to figure out if youngsters like Beckham are ever going to pan out, or end up being Brian Anderson Redux. The only people who seem to be getting it done on a regular basis is the pitching staff, which unfortunately means jack when your big-swinging offense is scoring two runs per game.

If I had to bet Ozzie won't even have to be fired, he'll take the Marlins gig, return home to Florida and hey: at least with that team there's no expectations, which may be just the change of scenery he needs. KW will give Ozzie his usual insincere sincere sendoff and make some speech about how we love ya for '05 Ozzie but it's time for a change, blah, blah.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
I sensed this a while ago but I'm thoroughly convinced that Ozzie is worn out. With the Sox at least. He looks spent, at a loss, distracted. And who can blame him? Any time this team gets something going, they take three steps backward, so there's no time to enjoy any success. You know, like: last year. And the year before.

And you have to wonder how fun a position it is to be in to have to try and motivate veteran players with whopping salaries (Rios) to run the f***ing bases, when you're already busy trying to figure out if youngsters like Beckham are ever going to pan out, or end up being Brian Anderson Redux. The only people who seem to be getting it done on a regular basis is the pitching staff, which unfortunately means jack when your big-swinging offense is scoring two runs per game.

If I had to bet Ozzie won't even have to be fired, he'll take the Marlins gig, return home to Florida and hey: at least with that team there's no expectations, which may be just the change of scenery he needs. KW will give Ozzie his usual insincere sincere sendoff and make some speech about how we love ya for '05 Ozzie but it's time for a change, blah, blah.

Then why was he angling for a contract extension a couple of weeks ago?

Maybe he was trying to decide whether to commit mentally to staying here and wanting reassurance that that's where he'd be wanted?

I mean think about it: a lot of us have been in jobs before where you're dogging it and then you get that promotion/raise and all of a sudden you see it in a whole new light?

But now I'm just speculating.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Maybe he was trying to decide whether to commit mentally to staying here and wanting reassurance that that's where he'd be wanted?

I mean think about it: a lot of us have been in jobs before where you're dogging it and then you get that promotion/raise and all of a sudden you see it in a whole new light?

But now I'm just speculating.

Or he knew it was a pipe dream that they'd get it done so there was no harm in asking.

Speaking of Dunn, he got an award today from Jayson Stark:

AL LVP OF THE HALF-YEAR

Adam Dunn, White Sox

It pains me to hand this prestigious half-trophy to good old Adam Dunn, because he's one of my favorite human beings in the game. But yikes. What a year he's had. You'd think it would be impossible for this fellow to have a second half that goes anything like his first half. But if he does, here's the stat line he'd wind up with, in season No. 1 of his four-year, $56 million deal: 206 strikeouts, 76 hits, a .163 average, a .304 slugging percentage and 15 homers. When I first perused those numbers, I thought, "Wow, that's veritably Rob Deer-esque." Then, amazingly, upon further review, it turned out that not even the most legendary whiffin' man of all time ever had a season like this. Deer's "signature" year came in 1991, when he put up this line: 175 whiffs, 80 hits, a .179 average, a .386 slugging percentage and 25 homers. You wouldn't want to hang that one in the Louvre, but compared to Dunn's season so far, the "Deer Hunter" looks like Tony Gwynn. Oh, and here's one more Dunn feat nobody has witnessed before. If he keeps this up, he'll finish the season with 100 more strikeouts than balls put in play. OK, that can't possibly happen, right? It wouldn't shock me if the "Big Donkey" hit like 30 home runs after the break and blew up all these stats. But for now, much to my profound regret, he's still vintage LVP material.

Via

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
I told Balta Dunn was having one of the worst seasons of the modern era. And I got hyperbole thrown in my face.

No hyperbole is needed to describe the atrocious season he is having. It is epically terrible but somehow people are still trying to downplay it.

QUOTE (soxfan72 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Can we get back to Dunn being the worst I've ever seen at the MLB level?

Sure. Since when does 7 straight seasons of 38 homeruns make somebody they worst they have ever seen?

Dunn's 2011 season reminds me a lot of Paul Konerko's 2003 season. It was pretty much the worst season he had at that point in his career, and he has not had a one worse since. Konerko struggled the first half of that season but did turn in around the second half.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Sure. Since when does 7 straight seasons of 38 homeruns make somebody they worst they have ever seen?

Dunn's 2011 season reminds me a lot of Paul Konerko's 2003 season. It was pretty much the worst season he had at that point in his career, and he has not had a one worse since. Konerko struggled the first half of that season but did turn in around the second half.

Konerko's '03 was trash by his personal standards. Dunn's is bad by historical standards. There's a difference. Can Dunn recover in time to salvage this season? I thought so a month ago. Now I'm not sure. PK wasn't striking out at a damn near 44% clip. Dunn looks f***ing clueless.

QUOTE (SouthSideTeacher @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Picture it. All-Star Break, 2011. A Native American sweat lodge in the middle of nowhere. A naked Dr. Phil (Jackson?), Steve Stone, and Adam Dunn's tortured mind...

Eureka!

A good ole' vision quest is what he needs. Maybe he can hallucinate himself into remembering how to hit a baseball.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Personally I'd love to see him catch fire 10 days or so before the trading deadline...I mean go on an absolute tear!!!

Even if he hit 8 homers in 10 games, nobody in MLB would be willing to take his contract until/unless he proves he's fully back over at least a 2 month timespan.

And we'd still have to find another LH power hitter. Not like they grow on trees.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Konerko's '03 was trash by his personal standards. Dunn's is bad by historical standards. There's a difference. Can Dunn recover in time to salvage this season? I thought so a month ago. Now I'm not sure. PK wasn't striking out at a damn near 44% clip. Dunn looks f***ing clueless.

I looked up the numbers earlier. At June 30th of the respective years, Konerkos numbers were worse across the board.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
I looked up the numbers earlier. At June 30th of the respective years, Konerkos numbers were worse across the board.

Yeah this. Plus the whole strike out rate is kind of a bogus argument because you knew Dunn would strike out a lot..just not THIS much.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
I told Balta Dunn was having one of the worst seasons of the modern era. And I got hyperbole thrown in my face.

That hyperbole thing was least valuable thread of the year.

Lot of national writers/broadcasters agree with those of us who deemed Dunn one of the worst hitters in Sox history (to this date).

Dont worry folks, we're SAVED!

Dunn, Rios vow to ride to Sox's rescue

July, 8, 2011

Jul 8

11:44

PM CT

By Doug Padilla

CHICAGO -- There have been many dynamic duos that have saved the day like Batman and Robin, Starsky and Hutch, Michael and Scottie.

Adam Dunn and Alex Rios would like to join the list, but for now they rank about has high as Hall and Oates.

The two struggling White Sox sluggers got to talking recently and made a pact, which is how all good rags-to-riches stories should begin.

“Me and Alex talked about it, and we’re putting it all on us in the second half basically,” Dunn said.

Ultimately, it may not go down in history like Babe Ruth’s called shot or Joe Namath’s Super Bowl prediction, but give Dunn and Rios credit, they are well aware of what has been ailing the White Sox.

“We still have some guys, me included, that are struggling and when we get them back we’ll have a totally different team,” Rios said. “The only thing we can do is to keep playing hard and wait until that happens. If we get everybody back we’ll have a different team.”

Dunn was carrying a .164 batting average after Friday’s 8-5 defeat to the Minnesota Twins, while Rios was at .214. They had combined for 55 RBIs. Paul Konerko had 65 by himself.

Yet Dunn showed flashes of what he can do in the first inning Friday. He crushed a two-run home run over 400 feet into the seats in right field. He then went out and struck out his next two times to the plate.

Rios had an RBI double in the same inning as Dunn’s home run so they have started to work in concert, albeit ever so slightly.

“The good thing is that our pitching’s got us to where we are today,” Dunn said. “Without what they’ve done we’re not even in contention in the ballpark.

“So for us to be where we’re at and our offense not doing – well I mean it’s basically been carried by three or four guys all year long – hopefully we’re going to find kind of our swagger after the All-Star break and keep getting solid pitching.”

I'm not sure what Rios means about getting everyone back. I guess he means hitting at their "expected" levels, whatever that now actually means with Gordon, Dunn and Rios.

Hopefully, they're not ignoring the last two games against Minnesota and just thinking they can magically turn it on against the Tigers.

If we allow Minnesota to pass us now, recent history has shown (except for 2008) that we're not catching them again in the 2nd half.

I have a hard time believing that no one on this team just goes ballistic in the club house. It's difficult to watch a team that seems so apathetic. Perhaps it's time to bring back the blow-up dolls that made the appearance in Toronto a few years ago? Was at the game with the kids tonight and had to control myself to not scream obscenities. I just don't know if they have the desire to win. On a related side note, they showed Will Ohman's photo and a stat update tonight right before he gave up the three run bomb - Ohman's last hold 4/11 v. the Tampa Bay Rays. Nothing like flashing that up on the scoreboard and having the next pitch sail into the left field seats. This team is hard to like.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 01:10 AM)
Didn't ALbert Belle have a pretty crappy start to his White Sox career before kicking some butt.

He was a disappointment, but he also had 76 XBH's.

Adam Dunn is on pace for 77 hits...total.

Richie Sexson, Troy Glaus, Pat Burrell in his top 5 comps at Baseball Reference. Washouts by 32. Dunn has them beat by a year.