Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

Maybe its because some of the most famous baseball managers were "player managers."

I think its interesting (insert stupid) that people dont want to research the fact that there is almost 0 correlation between MLB managerial experience and success at the major league level.

I think its interesting (insert stupid) that people dont believe Robin can be a good manager just because he hasnt been a coach.

Whatever the facts, I really cant imagine anyone creating a good argument that MLB manager is harder than NBA/NFL. And thats the comparison.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
Steve,

Maybe its because some of the most famous baseball managers were "player managers."

I think its interesting (insert stupid) that people dont want to research the fact that there is almost 0 correlation between MLB managerial experience and success at the major league level.

I think its interesting (insert stupid) that people dont believe Robin can be a good manager just because he hasnt been a coach.

Whatever the facts, I really cant imagine anyone creating a good argument that MLB manager is harder than NBA/NFL. And thats the comparison.

The problem is that we know absolutely nothing about Ventura as a coach/manager. We'd at least like to get a freaking idea.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
The Chicago media is still figuring out how to spin it so it seems brilliant.

Exactly. I love how people are popping up with the tweets from various Chicago newsmen saying how they like the move, when these are the same guys who wouldn't say a negative thing about Ozzie until it was absolutely clear that he wasn't coming back.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
Steve,

I think that's the most important statement, a lot of mlb manager's wouldn't even hack it as a coordinator or even position coach in the NFL and the same for being on an NBA coaching staff. With baseball, even moreso in the AL as long as you are good with handling personalities and not a clueless idiot you can be fine at your job. Hell Ozzie lasted for 8 years and he wasn't good at either of those things.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
I asked for carlton Fisk and anyone who joined me was closer in reality than any of you other jokers - er I mean Soxtalk posters. It's the organizational thing. I look forward to success in 2012.

Big difference in attitude between Fisk and Ventura. But yeah, I guess it could have been him, I'm done pretending to know what this organization is thinking.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
I asked for carlton Fisk and anyone who joined me was closer in reality than any of you other jokers - er I mean Soxtalk posters. It's the organizational thing. I look forward to success in 2012.

Carlton and Robin were very tight.

Maybe you'll almost get that wish.

Yeah because working the cash register at McDonalds is the same as being the CEO.

HE HAD EXPERIENCE AT MCDONALDS!!!

Oh and Joe Torre never had coaching experience. But lets all pretend that no one has ever been a manager without previous experience before.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
Exactly. I love how people are popping up with the tweets from various Chicago newsmen saying how they like the move, when these are the same guys who wouldn't say a negative thing about Ozzie until it was absolutely clear that he wasn't coming back.

As I said, I wasn't endorsing anything, I was just posting reactions.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Yeah because working the cash register at McDonalds is the same as being the CEO.

HE HAD EXPERIENCE AT MCDONALDS!!!

Oh and Joe Torre never had coaching experience. But lets all pretend that no one has ever been a manager without previous experience before.

You said he was a player-manager. Either way, that was 35 years ago. Come up with a relatively recent example of a manager who hadn't coached or managed at some level before becoming the manager of a major league team.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
KW said Ventura has a bench coach in mind. Sox will have to seek permission to talk to whoever it is.

I like that. Means it won't be all organizational people...