2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Unstoppable (Denzel, Pine) - it was actually pretty enjoyable. We were flipping and it was starting and we enjoyed it.

Ha, I stumbled upon that as well and the pacing of it was good, but man that movie was incredibly, laughably stupid.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
ROCK OF AGES

Don't want to read the whole thread, but saw this movie today since I'm on vacation.

My god that lead actress is hot. Geezus what legs; what a face.

I thought this movie was harmless, decent fun. I would give it a non energetic thumbs up.

Alec Baldwin amuses me; Tom Cruse amuses me in this film and that lead actress. My gawd.

What say you all? I give it a 2.8 out of 4. I feel like I did not waste my money though it coulda been 10 minutes shorter and I wouldn't complain.

Leave it to Greg to give a 2.8 instead of 2.75, haha.

Julianne Hough. And she's not that hot, Malin Ackerman, who played the reporter with the glasses who interviewed Cruise's character, is still way hotter.

If you're not convinced, check out Wanderlust or any other number of movies she's been in recently.

The main problem with this movie is that nobody in America could care less about either lead. Diego Boneta is about as memorable as the lead male role from Coyote Ugly, Burlesque or Showgirls.

Movies to see now that back in the US...

1. Ted

2. Moonrise Kingdom

3. Magic Mike

4. Seeking a Friend at the End of the World

5. People Like Us

6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Any other movies I should see? New Tyler Perry one? Brave?

EDIT: Spider-Man comes out at midnight. The reviews I've read so far have been pretty positive, overall.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Movies to see now that back in the US...

1. Ted

2. Moonrise Kingdom

3. Magic Mike

4. Seeking a Friend at the End of the World

5. People Like Us

6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Any other movies I should see? New Tyler Perry one? Brave?

EDIT: Spider-Man comes out at midnight. The reviews I've read so far have been pretty positive, overall.

Why?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Why?

Because I've seen almost every Soderbergh project in my whole life, I'm pretty sure.

Yes, even the Sasha Grey one (The Girlfriend Experience), which this movie has been compared to and is a sort of companion piece to. And I have a non homo-erotic weakness for Matthew McConaughey, which probably comes from those filet mignon/beef, it's what's for dinner! commercials.

I just want to see him recreating his real life naked, stoned, bongo drum-playing incident, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 04:01 AM)
Leave it to Greg to give a 2.8 instead of 2.75, haha.

Julianne Hough. And she's not that hot, Malin Ackerman, who played the reporter with the glasses who interviewed Cruise's character, is still way hotter.

If you're not convinced, check out Wanderlust or any other number of movies she's been in recently.

The main problem with this movie is that nobody in America could care less about either lead. Diego Boneta is about as memorable as the lead male role from Coyote Ugly, Burlesque or Showgirls.

I want to see the Seeking a Friend at the End of World, but it's already out of theatres.

Good comment about the lead actors. They did not make you care about them. I just fell for Hough's legs I guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 12:56 AM)
I want to see the Seeking a Friend at the End of World, but it's already out of theatres.

Good comment about the lead actors. They did not make you care about them. I just fell for Hough's legs I guess.

I know reviews are mixed on Seeking a Friend for the End of the World but I really liked it. Not as much as Moonrise Kingdom though.

If you want to see a really good movie about the end of the world, Melancholia is it.

Just for the Kirsten Dunst scenes...however, be warned, not exactly a feel good or date movie, unless you've just joined a "end of the world" cult and perhaps believe that December will bring the final curtain down (see Mayan Calendar).

And Greg, the other reason Rock of Ages wasn't good was because Julianne Hough also can't sing. The major problem with that movie (in a way, reminiscent of his Frank TJ Mackey character in MAGNOLIA) is that Cruise's character is probably the most interesting in the film, and yet is essentially a supporting actor. When you know exactly how the main two characters will end and don't care one way or the other (just like her prior movies Footloose and Burlesque), well, that's not a good element going in favor of the film having success.

Jeff, Who Lives At Home.....worth watching, although definitely kind of a "one note" character for Segel, who needs to expand his repertoire before he becomes a ten year older version of Michael Cena. The Five-Year Engagement wasn't good either, although he's definitely one of the most "in demand" actors these days in terms of being in almost every other movie that comes out. And Ed Helms was a lot less annoying in Cedar Rapids than in this one, where he has zero redeeming characteristics to his name.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
If you want to see a really good movie about the end of the world, Melancholia is it.

Just for the Kirsten Dunst scenes...however, be warned, not exactly a feel good or date movie, unless you've just joined a "end of the world" cult and perhaps believe that December will bring the final curtain down (see Mayan Calendar).

And Greg, the other reason Rock of Ages wasn't good was because Julianne Hough also can't sing. The major problem with that movie (in a way, reminiscent of his Frank TJ Mackey character in MAGNOLIA) is that Cruise's character is probably the most interesting in the film, and yet is essentially a supporting actor. When you know exactly how the main two characters will end and don't care one way or the other (just like her prior movies Footloose and Burlesque), well, that's not a good element going in favor of the film having success.

Jeff, Who Lives At Home.....worth watching, although definitely kind of a "one note" character for Segel, who needs to expand his repertoire before he becomes a ten year older version of Michael Cena. The Five-Year Engagement wasn't good either, although he's definitely one of the most "in demand" actors these days in terms of being in almost every other movie that comes out. And Ed Helms was a lot less annoying in Cedar Rapids than in this one, where he has zero redeeming characteristics to his name.

I like your movie review-ish observations. Again, you are correct about Rock of Ages.

However, if you read my recommendation, I did say it gets a 2.8 out of 4, a harmless summer movie that made me smile, mostly because of Cruise's character, Alec Baldwin, and the music, which could have been better. Plus Hough's legs. Some scenes that prove again you don't have to be naked to make the imagination run wild. Some sexy women.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Chronicle - I rented this via Redbox in bluray. I don't even have words - you should see this movie. It was really, really good and clearly had a much larger budget than I realized.

Seriously, if you have any sense of adventure, scifi, or enjoying "superpowers" - my God was that movie incredible.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Chronicle. It didn't even bother me that there was no attempt to explain how a big glowing underground rock could convey superpowers because it was just a vehicle to give the characters their powers so so they could get on with making a visually stellar film.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Nobody saw the midnight Spider-Man show?

Ebert gave it a pretty positive review, said it was the 2nd best of the four most recent ones, behind the #2 Maguire/Dunst/Raimi one (Doc Ock).

No interest. Lizard is lame and the new Peter Parker looks like a cocky douche rather than an awkward nerd.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
I thought the new Amazing Spiderman was good. It was more in line with the 60s cartoon/Comic book than the Tobey Maguire series was. Oh and they have a serious upgrade on the girl. Emma >>>> Kirsten

Kirsten's boobs in the rain scene were fantastic though

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Kirsten's boobs in the rain scene were fantastic though

I will give her that, but outside of that. Kirsten is not hot enough to garner all of the attention her character did with guys fighting over her. Its just a step above the Joker saying, "Well Hello Beautiful" and then seeing Maggie Gyllenhall on the other side of that scene.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
I will give her that, but outside of that. Kirsten is not hot enough to garner all of the attention her character did with guys fighting over her. Its just a step above the Joker saying, "Well Hello Beautiful" and then seeing Maggie Gyllenhall on the other side of that scene.

LOL, so true

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
No interest. Lizard is lame and the new Peter Parker looks like a cocky douche rather than an awkward nerd.

That's been my gripe with how this one looks. Parker doesn't seem to fit what I would hope to see.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Yes it was crappy casting, Dunst isnt even a redhead so it wasnt like they needed her to be MJ.

MJ should be way hotter.

That's another thing...they make Dunst a redhead and then get Emma Stone for a movie and make her a blonde! WTF

Yeah it cant be explained. They turned Mary Jane into plain Jane Dunst. Its the same with X-Men casting Rogue, who was supposed to be super hot (arguably hotter than Phoenix), yet she is played by Anna Pacquin, who is not nearly as attractive as Femke Janssen.

Well in terms of normal human ratings they are all hot, but in terms of the fantasy comic realm, they could have been hotter. Pacquin completely ruined the Rogue character for me, because she is supposed to be hot and a complete bad ass. Even Storm was Halle Berry.

Then you end up with someone like that Rosie Victoria's Secret whatever her name is ruining Transformers....

It's one thing to be HOT, it's quite another to be able to act.

Jessica Alba was, or used to be SUPER hot, but she still never was a very good actress. Or Jeter's ex, Minka Kelly.

Dunst and Stone are much more talented.

I just saw this one and while I do prefer the first 2 Maguire/Dunst versions, this one was definitely good, too. Not great, but very good.

Worth watching, for sure. It did feel, after only 10 years, like too much of a reimagining of the version we had only a decade ago.

Edited by caulfield12