Yankees Acquire Pineda for Montero

DirtySox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should benefit both sides significantly, but Pineda is a HUGE get for the Yankees. Montero can hit for sure, but the defensive value is about null. He's not a catcher.

Also, more players involved in the trade.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
I don't care how good Montero is projected to be. Why does Seattle trade a guy who looks like a dominating pitcher, a potential #1 type and who is very young?

I don't understand why Seattle is making this trade.

Am I over-hyping Pineda?

Seattle desperately needs hitters. Montero will do just that. (and not much else) The Mariners also have plenty of great pitching in the pipeline, notably Hultzen, Paxton and Taijuan Walker.

Those are the reasons I can think of. Though I agree, I'd rather have Pineda. I wonder if one of Banuelos and Betances is coming over too? Would make the trade more palatable for the M's.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
Why not move Felix unless they are going to ink him to a long term deal? I would think Felix would net more and is under less team control.

That's what I was thinking. Appeasement of the fan base no doubt. But I really don't get this trade on the surface...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
Fair value. He's a 3 win-ish pitcher. So he's worth about $15 million in terms of WAR $.

Gotta be tough shifting from dodgers stadium and the NL west to Yankee stadium and the al east. Really good chance to see how good he really is.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
Also have Betances and Banuelos waiting in the wings. Great depth.

Somebody brought this up on another forum.

But the Yankees should have traded Felix, not Pineda.

You let the Yankees pay Felix what he's worth the next 3 years (60 million over that time) and you keep Pineda, who's cheap and has the potential to be just as good.

In return, you get a boat load of the Yanks' prospects, including Montero, Betances, Banuelos, etc. This frees up a lot of money for them to go sign Fielder and you build your farm even more.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the Yankees will give Seattle their entire farm for Felix.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
Gotta be tough shifting from dodgers stadium and the NL west to Yankee stadium and the al east. Really good chance to see how good he really is.

His home/road splits were actually pretty even:

Home - 20-23, 3.43 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, .249 BAA

Away - 21-25, 3.48 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, .249 BAA

His ERAs against ARI/COL/SD/SF were 4.03/5.52/3.67/3.65 respectively.

The numbers show he performed better when not facing the NL West, so should be interesting.