Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

@vxmcclure23 vaughn mcclure

Bears announce Gabe Carimi will undergo knee surgery Friday.

Carimi will have an arthroscopic debridement procedure.

He was already out for the Lions game, as reported by the Tribune earlier this week. No timetable announced for his return.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
@vxmcclure23 vaughn mcclure

Bears announce Gabe Carimi will undergo knee surgery Friday.

Carimi will have an arthroscopic debridement procedure.

He was already out for the Lions game, as reported by the Tribune earlier this week. No timetable announced for his return.

Ugh. I wonder how long that means he is out?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
Ugh. I wonder how long that means he is out?

On one hand, it's good that Louis & Spencer are playing so well that you don't need Carimi immediately.

On the other hand, that hurts the OL depth as Omiyale/E. Williams are next on the depth chart. Plus, Carimi can use as much game experience as possible to speed up his development.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break..._medium=twitter

Cutler playing hard to get

By Fred Mitchell, Tribune reporter

12:04 p.m. CST, November 11, 2011

Jay Cutler has been more effective -- and more elusive -- as a moving target of late.

The Chicago Bears quarterback avoided being sacked last Monday night in Philadelphia for the first time this season.

“I was thinking about that about half way through the game and I said: ‘Let’s not jinx this yet,’ ” Cutler said with a laugh Wednesday. Cutler has been sacked 21 times in the first eight games this season. Last season he was sacked 52 times.

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz acknowledges the decision to keep Cutler on the move has been significant.

“We’ve made some subtle changes; we had some different personnel groups. We moved the quarterback around a little bit more than we have in the past, maybe,” Martz said Thursday as the team prepared for Sunday’s game against Detroit at Soldier Field. “A little bit more play-action type of things, because we run the ball so well. A team that runs the ball as well as we are right now, it seems we have to take advantage.”

Cutler was sacked 14 times in the first three games this season. In the last three games combined, he has been sacked just three times.

"(The linemen) are getting better and better. They are getting more relaxed out there," Cutler said. "Mike is doing a great job of calling plays and helping them out."

fmitchell@tribune.com

Twitter@kicker34

Finally starting to get a handle on this year's NFL season...

Hit a big bet last week on the Bears with the Bears ML and over the total.

Dallas -5.5 over Buffalo

St Louis +3 over Cleveland

Denver+150 outright over KC

Seattle +7 vs Baltimore

Chicago -2.5 over Detroit

NYG +3.5 vs SF

NE +2 vs NYJ

Minnesota +13 vs GB

So every year the Las Vegas Hilton Superbook has a contest to see who can pick the highest percentage of games (you must pick 3 per week) against the spread over the course of a full season. Some of the best handicappers in the world enter this contest.

The list of teams chosen can be found on the internet usually, which is a good source, because it will tell you who all best handicappers (the sharps) like.

This week, there are 27 people picking Houston at -3.5 against only 2 picking Tampa.

That's a pretty strong indicator.

I actually like Tampa getting the points...this is sort of a let down spot for Houston with big games coming up in the next couple weeks.

Just kind of something fun to keep an eye on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Finally starting to get a handle on this year's NFL season...

Hit a big bet last week on the Bears with the Bears ML and over the total.

Dallas -5.5 over Buffalo

St Louis +3 over Cleveland

Denver+150 outright over KC

Seattle +7 vs Baltimore

Chicago -2.5 over Detroit

NYG +3.5 vs SF

NE +2 vs NYJ

Minnesota +13 vs GB

I literally started to quote this to try and argue with one of your bets, and I found nothing I disagree with...

EDIT: The only one I'd be kind of skeptical on is the Bears -2.5.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
I literally started to quote this to try and argue with one of your bets, and I found nothing I disagree with...

EDIT: The only one I'd be kind of skeptical on is the Bears -2.5.

The Dallas pick is a bit frightening because they always underperform their ypp stats...and they also play for s*** at home, but I am banking on them finally putting together a 60 minute game here against the Bills, who aren't nearly as good on the road as they are at home.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
The Dallas pick is a bit frightening because they always underperform their ypp stats...and they also play for s*** at home, but I am banking on them finally putting together a 60 minute game here against the Bills, who aren't nearly as good on the road as they are at home.

It's funny man, cause I honestly barely look at stats at all when it comes to football cause I watch every game, every week, but when you said a couple weeks ago that you thought the Cowboys are one of the better teams in the NFL, I laughed but I actually think you got a safe bet this week. You'll be ok on that one.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 04:16 AM)
It's funny man, cause I honestly barely look at stats at all when it comes to football cause I watch every game, every week, but when you said a couple weeks ago that you thought the Cowboys are one of the better teams in the NFL, I laughed but I actually think you got a safe bet this week. You'll be ok on that one.

Well if you look at their yards per play on offense, and their yards per play given up on defense, they are one of the best teams in the NFL. They average 6.4 ypp against teams that would give up 5.4 ypp against an average team, so they are amongst the elite teams when it comes to moving the play on offense. They outgain their opponents by roughly 70 yards per game, and yet they've only outscored their opponents by about .5 points per game. As a comparison, the Packers only outgain their opponents by about 18 yards per game and yet we all know their record...

The Cowboys have just had trouble getting the ball into the end zone and of course, Romo has struggled in some key situations this year (the Lions' game was a disaster).

But Romo is healthy again, and DeMarco Murray is a stud, and if they can just stop shooting themselves in the foot their talent will eventually start manifesting itself. Of course, there are always teams that refuse to allow this to happen for whatever reason (read the 2010 Chargers).

Anyways, the public is leaning heavily on the Bills, which tells you something since the Cowboys are a very public team, but I am going to lean with the Cowboys anyways.

Edited by iamshack

I'm hoping with Romo actually fully healthy and willing to stay in the pocket now, we'll be much better on offense in the 2nd half of the season. Red Zone production has been a big negative for us this season as Shack has mentioned, hence why Dan Bailey is right up the top of the leaderboard in terms of FG's kicked.

Defensively, we're much improved from last season, especially in the secondary, Rob Ryan has been a definite upgrade there. Ware will have a big day tomorrow, considering Buffalo's LG has to play LT also.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
I have a bad feeling about the Bears today. I hope I'm wrong.

I have a very good feeling, because Jahvid Best is out. If the bears make them one dimensional, Stafford will probably leave the game injured again. The D Line has put together multiple games where they have put a lot of hits on QBs, and Stafford doesnt like getting hit

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
I have a very good feeling, because Jahvid Best is out. If the bears make them one dimensional, Stafford will probably leave the game injured again. The D Line has put together multiple games where they have put a lot of hits on QBs, and Stafford doesnt like getting hit

crazy winds are in store for the game today...which absolutely will favor the bears. It should help take away big plays in the detroit passing game, and would help favor the ground attack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
David Nelson (of the Bills) has a super hot girlfriend, who cheers for the Cowboys

http://www.dallascowboyscheerleaders.com/s...?id=Kelsi_Reich

HE caught a touchdown and gave the ball to the girl.

Turns out that Fred Jackson also grew up in a house that sat where a parking lot for the new Cowboys Stadium sits.