2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:01 PM)
I wonder what they see in Jaffe from UCLA. Big kid, but walked 10 and struck out 3 in 7.2 IP in relief this season. Didn't allow a run though. Selected in the 19th round by the Red Sox in 2010.

As Jason said a few times ago he has big stuff and is a big talent. BA said low 90s fastball and a power curve. They mentioned 'mental issues' though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
As Jason said a few times ago he has big stuff and is a big talent. BA said low 90s fastball and a power curve. They mentioned 'mental issues' though.

Ah, missed that post. Good insight. Seems projectable.

7th Rd. - Jose Barraza - C - HS

He is the 98th best prospect in California and the 472nd best prospect in America – per Baseball America.

The only prospect in our top 10 picks I haven't seen much info about other than good arm and power potential.

Beck showing Johnson some love.

Chris Beck ‏@WatchurBeck

Me and my man @Micah_Johnson3 are Team mates!!! White Soxs baby ‪#Godisgood‬ Congrats my man!!

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
7th Rd. - Jose Barraza - C - HS

He is the 98th best prospect in California and the 472nd best prospect in America – per Baseball America.

The only prospect in our top 10 picks I haven't seen much info about other than great power and arm.

Beck and Johnson are good friends, played alot against each other.

He just devalued my degree with his bad twitter grammar, haha.

Guess I'm going to have to cheer for another rival of the Hawkeyes, not unlike Chris Getz. Definitely seems like they went with some players who slipped because of injury/non-performance, classic KW stealth mode there (picking Jeremy Reed would be the opposite, a player who peaked collegiately).

Indiana junior second baseman Micah Johnson was taken with the 291st overall pick — the 13th in the ninth round — by the Chicago White Sox in the Major League Baseball first-year player draft. Johnson is coming off a season in which he hit .225 with one home run and 10 RBI, but he hit over .300 in each of his first two seasons and was a preseason All-American this season before surgery to repair an elbow injury. He played in just 24 games, starting 20.

Edited by caulfield12

More Beck (who was recommended by Kevin Burrell, Georgia scout)

White Sox think they got a steal with Chris Beck at the second round.

CHICAGO -- It remains to be seen which Chris Beck the White Sox selected with the 76th pick of the First-Year Player Draft.

Beck, a 6-foot-3 right-handed pitcher from Georgia Southern, excelled his sophomore season with a 9-5 record and a 3.23 ERA. He followed that performance with a stellar summer as an All-Star in the Cape Cod League, posting a 2.12 ERA with a mid-90s fastball.

He was projected as a possible top-10 talent before his junior year, when his velocity went down. Beck finished this season with a 6-7 record and a 3.91 ERA in 16 starts, causing him to drop a few slots in the Draft.

"We were watching the Draft unfold," Beck said. "Just because of the year, we weren't looking for anything absolutely spectacular to happen. We were looking toward the supplemental round.

"It got later in and we were watching what was going to happen. There was a little bit of aggravation there and still the suspense of what's going to go on, where am I going?

Doug Laumann, the White Sox director of amateur scouting, originally had Beck projected as a possible candidate for the No. 13 pick before the season. When Beck fell to the second round, Laumann and the White Sox made the move.

"We felt like we've got a chance to get a guy that's a potential first-round talent here with our pick at 76 in the second round," Laumann said.

Not only does Laumann think he may have gotten a steal with Beck, but that he may know the key to getting the righty back to his previous form.

"He didn't have a good year," Laumann said. "He had a great Cape last summer and we put video up from him last year this year, and he gained 35 pounds from last July to this March, lifting [in the] weight room.

"His coaches told him, 'You need to get big, you need to get strong. The bigger you get, the stronger you get, the better you're going to be.' He just got so big and so strong and so bulky that it inhibited his delivery."

It's no mystery what Beck can accomplish when he's on his game. He was the No. 2 ranked Cape Cod League prospect, complementing his above-average fastball with a slider and changeup.

Beck said White Sox scout Kevin Burrell was one of the first people he talked to while pitching in the summer, so it wasn't surprising when he heard from Burrell before this year's Draft.

"He called me a good two or three times last week," Beck said. "He asked, 'How's the arm? Are you healthy?' We had a little bump in velocity going down this year. I threw a lot between starts trying to work on mechanical stuff, but I'm good.

"They went to every extreme to make sure they got a good pick, and I hope I can fulfill that."

Beck still managed to record consecutive 100 strikeout seasons, fanning 115 batters with 29 walks in 2012. He said he's still working on his mechanics and how to approach hitters and prepare between starts.

"I kind of got away from that," Beck said. "I just need work on that and let that go and start pitching. It'll be a new adventure out there."

If the White Sox can return Beck to his previous form, they may get a top-10 talent. Regardless, the South Siders will have a player in the second round they know they can sign, which was a priority for the ballclub.

"We called Kevin Burrell with the White Sox and told him we're looking to sign and sign now," Beck said. "They made a great deal, and I'm happy to be [with the White Sox] and I'm glad the organization chose me."

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
Sox better spend entire allotment.

You obsess about unnecessary things. This draft class has drawn raves so far, and all you can talk about is money. I'd rather get the class in and in the system than worry about if they spend the entire $6 million.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
Beck looks like he could be quite the steal. I really hope they treat him like a first rounder and send him directly to Kannapolis if he signs quickly. If all goes well, he could start next season at Winston Salem. That seems like the age and skill appropriate level for a player like him.

I could see them putting Beck and Hansen both in Kanny if they sign relatively quickly

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I could see them putting Beck and Hansen both in Kanny if they sign relatively quickly

So I would imagine Beck puts up mediocre numbers this year, and then hits it big next year as his body type returns to where the Sox want to see it. Beck could be a big mover in 2013 if the Sox scouts and staff are right.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
You obsess about unnecessary things. This draft class has drawn raves so far, and all you can talk about is money. I'd rather get the class in and in the system than worry about if they spend the entire $6 million.

Dam right I am, when the Sox have the worst rated minor league system in baseball and spend less than anyone in draft by a wide margin last few years. Only reason they did anything different with high school guys this year is the new draft system period! This not the time to nickel and dime draft picks to save a little money time to nut up and pay the piper.

Edited by Soxfest

Sox on the cheap so far today, acquiring mostly organizational filler players. Of the 8 picks so far, 7 have been college seniors, the other another high school catcher. Hopefully in a few rounds they start taking some more risks on kids with higher ceilings.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Sox on the cheap so far today, acquiring mostly organizational filler players. Of the 8 picks so far, 7 have been college seniors, the other another high school catcher. Hopefully in a few rounds they start taking some more risks on kids with higher ceilings.

They did that up top, during the first couple days of the draft. Now just filling in some gaps. That's what happens with every team, at this round it has zero to do with "cheap". Once you get past round 15, the bonus money is like $1000 or less per player. Some of you guys are awfully paranoid.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
For anyone looking for the best name in the Sox draft... they just selected, in the 24th round, a guy named Storm Throne. Not kidding. He's a RHP, from Morningside College, Iowa. 6'7", 215 pounds, 21 years old.

I just had to do a little looking around on this guy.

From perfectgame.org in their Iowa overview for the draft:

WILD CARD: Storm Throne, rhp, Morningside College. The 6-foot-7, 230-pound Throne attends Morningside on a basketball scholarship, and averaged 9.3 points and 4.3 rebounds a game, while shooting 44 percent on 3-pointers during the 2011-2012 season. He shows much more long-term promise on the mound, however. He strongly resembles former Northern Iowa basketball player Lucas O’Rear, who signed with the Cincinnati Reds as a 13th-round draft in 2010, even though he didn’t pitch that spring after Northern Iowa dropped its baseball program. Throne still has a ways to go to develop his pitching skills, but his fastball has been up to 95 mph at times this spring and he could surpass O’Rear’s draft slot for the right team.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Dam right I am, when the Sox have the worst rated minor league system in baseball and spend less than anyone in draft by a wide margin last few years. Only reason they did anything different with high school guys this year is the new draft system period! This not the time to nickel and dime draft picks to save a little money time to nut up and pay the piper.

They pay the piper at the major league level. You always ignore that, and the fact that the Sox minor league system is, and has been, producing major league players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
They pay the piper at the major league level. You always ignore that, and the fact that the Sox minor league system is, and has been, producing major league players.

Someone posted recently, looking since about 2008, the Sox system has produced more major leaguers than most or all the other teams.

The system absolutely lacks depth, and needs better investment... but if the system is churning out talent better than most, then they aren't the worst system around. They MAY have the worst CURRENT DEPTH OF TALENT, or somewhere close to it. There is a difference.