2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Detroit, Cardinals, and Brewers are good fits in my mind if they have rotation spots open.

I excluded the Tigers because the Sox haven't dealt with them since they traded Kenny Williams there in 1989. I don't see the Brewers as having the guns to pull off a deal like that, and the Cards don't usually add salaried pitchers like that either.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
I excluded the Tigers because the Sox haven't dealt with them since they traded Kenny Williams there in 1989. I don't see the Brewers as having the guns to pull off a deal like that, and the Cards don't usually add salaried pitchers like that either.

Cards are actually starting this year at a payroll $5 million above where they were last year (and who knows if part of Wainright's deal was insured).

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 14, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
Detroit, Cardinals, and Brewers are good fits in my mind if they have rotation spots open.

If Carpenter returns, Cards are 6 deep in the starting rotation. As for the Brewers, I cannot see them sticking around in contention for a playoff bid with all the injuries they've had. I think Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays would be best fit for Peavy, with the Sox taking on a lot of his remaining contract in order to get a better prospect. I don't think the Sox can trade him and get another team to pick up all of his remaining salary for this year/$4 million option decline.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
If Carpenter returns, Cards are 6 deep in the starting rotation. As for the Brewers, I cannot see them sticking around in contention for a playoff bid with all the injuries they've had. I think Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays would be best fit for Peavy, with the Sox taking on a lot of his remaining contract in order to get a better prospect. I don't think the Sox can trade him and get another team to pick up all of his remaining salary for this year/$4 million option decline.

Obligatory "The White Sox rarely if ever take on most of someone's remaining money in exchange for a better prospect" reply.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)

Edwin Jackson was making a decent amount of money last year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 14, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Edwin Jackson was making a decent amount of money last year.

The Cards I believe took on somewhere just under $4 million in payroll when they added Dotel and Jackson in late July.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 14, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
I doubt the trade deadline will be very lucrative for teams selling.

Why? The extra Wild Card should have increased demand for players by giving more teams legit hope of a playoff spot, and that's the biggest change this year. There should be even fewer teams in a sellers position.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
Why? The extra Wild Card should have increased demand for players by giving more teams legit hope of a playoff spot, and that's the biggest change this year. There should be even fewer teams in a sellers position.

The extra Wild Card will actually decrease demand because instead of playing a best of 5 series, they play a 1-game playoff. I don't see any team in the Wild Card race mortgaging their future for a 1-game playoff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
Obligatory "The White Sox rarely if ever take on most of someone's remaining money in exchange for a better prospect" reply.

The one time they did it, they traded Ray Durham, picked up all his money remaining except the minimum and got back Jon Adkins. Brutal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
Cards are actually starting this year at a payroll $5 million above where they were last year (and who knows if part of Wainright's deal was insured).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
The one time they did it, they traded Ray Durham, picked up all his money remaining except the minimum and got back Jon Adkins. Brutal.

That was also when the team was given the impression that they weren't going to be getting draft compensation for those players.

Sox are now the only team in the AL central with a positive run differential at +1, a half game behind the Tigers, and 2.5 behid the indians who aren't supposed to contend...and everyone here is talking about trading off parts at the deadline lol smh what a loyal fan base we have here

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 14, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
Sox are now the only team in the AL central with a positive run differential at +1, a half game behind the Tigers, and 2.5 behid the indians who aren't supposed to contend...and everyone here is talking about trading off parts at the deadline lol smh what a loyal fan base we have here

So is your position different than Marty's? We're not rebuilding, but we're trying to compete this season and KW very well might get fired if we don't make the playoffs or finish below 1.6 million for attendance?

I get it, we're only 2 1/2 behind first place and only 1/2 game behind our primary competitors.

The problem is that we do have players with value to other teams (Thornton, Crain, Peavy, Floyd and AJ, not to mention Dunn, Konerko and Ramirez) and that if you subtract away that first group, how realistic is it that we can come close to competing in 2013 and 2014?

Then you get in that "wait it out" situation for the fourth year in a row where the team is stuck in-between and has no clear direction or strategy for the future.

That's not much fun, either. It's like being in purgatory. Despite the momentary ups and downs (2-4 game streaks either way), the path to be competitive in 2013 and 2014 is just as important as this year.

We can't keep mortgaging the future for a 10-15% chance at making the playoffs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
So is your position different than Marty's? We're not rebuilding, but we're trying to compete this season and KW very well might get fired if we don't make the playoffs or finish below 1.6 million for attendance?

I get it, we're only 2 1/2 behind first place and only 1/2 game behind our primary competitors.

The problem is that we do have players with value to other teams (Thornton, Crain, Peavy, Floyd and AJ, not to mention Dunn, Konerko and Ramirez) and that if you subtract away that first group, how realistic is it that we can come close to competing in 2013 and 2014?

Then you get in that "wait it out" situation for the fourth year in a row where the team is stuck in-between and has no clear direction or strategy for the future.

That's not much fun, either. It's like being in purgatory. Despite the momentary ups and downs (2-4 game streaks either way), the path to be competitive in 2013 and 2014 is just as important as this year.

We can't keep mortgaging the future for a 10-15% chance at making the playoffs.

Actually, according to espn, right now its a 37.9% chance at making the playoffs, which is the 5th highest % in the AL and 5 teams make the playoffs...

My "position" is that if your team is built to compete, and with a good Rios and Dunn, they are then by god you compete....

If Danks, Lexi, and Tank are still shaky and they're out of it in the standings come time for the trade deadline then yes trade away....but on MAY 15th when they're right in the thick of things its not time to talk about trades, like you smarks are doin already.

Unless youre getting someone like Dylan Bundy, Trevor Bauer, or Bryce Harper there are no sure things as far as prospects go. So there's no guarantee that a "fire sale" or whatever you "fans" on here want is gonna mean you're gonna be be any better off in the future. If they're competing as the season goes on more fans are gonna come out, there's zero doubt there IMO whereas if you sell off the team no ones gonna wanna come out and watch that team.

Look this team is a year removed from being "all in" and what failed about that team?? Dunn and Rios being historically bad...From the looks of it so far this year were getting what we expected last year out of them this year...What has changed from this year to last year?? They lost MB, okkkk but this year we have a healthy CY Peavy. They lost Juan Pierre, okkkk ADA is one of the best lead odd hitters in the game right now. They lost Sergio Santos, okkkkk well before yesterday Addison Reed had an era of 0.00. They lost CQ, ok well the books still open on Tank but it was long believed that he can equal the production of Carlos....Am I missing something here on why this team CANT compete and I should be talking about trades on MAY 15!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 15, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
Actually, according to espn, right now its a 37.9% chance at making the playoffs, which is the 5th highest % in the AL and 5 teams make the playoffs...

My "position" is that if your team is built to compete, and with a good Rios and Dunn, they are then by god you compete....

If Danks, Lexi, and Tank are still shaky and they're out of it in the standings come time for the trade deadline then yes trade away....but on MAY 15th when they're right in the thick of things its not time to talk about trades, like you smarks are doin already.

Unless youre getting someone like Dylan Bundy, Trevor Bauer, or Bryce Harper there are no sure things as far as prospects go. So there's no guarantee that a "fire sale" or whatever you "fans" on here want is gonna mean you're gonna be be any better off in the future. If they're competing as the season goes on more fans are gonna come out, there's zero doubt there IMO whereas if you sell off the team no ones gonna wanna come out and watch that team.

Look this team is a year removed from being "all in" and what failed about that team?? Dunn and Rios being historically bad...From the looks of it so far this year were getting what we expected last year out of them this year...What has changed from this year to last year?? They lost MB, okkkk but this year we have a healthy CY Peavy. They lost Juan Pierre, okkkk ADA is one of the best lead odd hitters in the game right now. They lost Sergio Santos, okkkkk well before yesterday Addison Reed had an era of 0.00. They lost CQ, ok well the books still open on Tank but it was long believed that he can equal the production of Carlos....Am I missing something here on why this team CANT compete and I should be talking about trades on MAY 15!

You're forgetting replacing Mark Buehrle and the fact that John Danks except for one start has been one of the worst starting pitchers in all of baseball.

Talking trades and actually consummating one are two quite different things. I'm sure if someone made an amazing offer for Matt Thornton or Jesse Crain that KW would pack their bags for them.

As Balta kept on saying all offseason, we had/have to replace 8 wins just to get back to a 79-83 team.

That was predicated on getting positive contributions out of Dunn/Rios/Peavy (check, check and check) but also Viciedo, Morel and Beckham.

If you take the steady contributions of Buehrle out of the equation and add in Danks as one of the worst and Humber continues to look more like a 5th starter than he did in the first half of 2011...as well as figuring in Sale in all likelihood can't withstand pitching anything above 125 or max 150 innings, and you're going to be shutting down Sale or putting him in the bullpen in the heat of the pennant race, well, everything that can go right almost has to go right, and that means we also have to rely on DET to falter for almost the entire season. Finally, add in the mysterious disappearing bat of Alexei Ramirez.

Even in the rosiest point of view, we're an 84-85-86 win team as currently constructed. Is DET likely to finish that low? Second, we KNOW Detroit and Illitch will be willing to go "all out" in June/July to make improvements to their bullpen, 2B, DH abd RF positions.

We're certainly not in a position to add payroll this season, either.

And we have almost nothing in the minor leagues to work with in terms of commodities that could get something useful back for the major league roster.

Best case scenario, we find a veteran 3B ala Herb Perry in 2000 and he catches fire. I suppose that's possible. But it's also trusting KW when he hasn't shown any reason for us to trust him since the end of the 2008 season.

Edited by caulfield12

Caufield suggested that one of the keys to the Sox capacity to seriously compete this season is finding a veteran to fill the offensive void at 3B.

I noticed that Dan Johnson was at 3B in yesterday's game. He continues to hit, and is tearing up the League vs. RHP. I would guess that management is weighing the

possibility of bringing him up to play Third, at least against RHP. Now before anyone dismisses the idea out of hand, please look at his split stats. They're off the charts.

That bat would look pretty good compared to the current hole in the lineup that Morel represents.

I'd prefer to see Morel back at AAA, and give the playing time to Johnson.

Lillibridge could be the late inning defensive replacement for Johnson, and if Johnson struggles vs. lefties, Brent is a good option to start at 3B versus Southpaws.

The Sox need to do something about the complete lack of offensive production at the bottom of the order. If it were just Morel, you could hide him at the #9 spot, but with Beckham, Ramirez and Morel all providing no production, they need to do something.

There has been some discussion about trading Thornton for Youklis. I think that a solution that doesn't involve sacrificing pitching, or taking on significant payroll, is much more likely, and desirable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)

If the Sox do attempt to trade Peavy at the deadline they should really tell teams they'll pick up the buyout. If they don't trade him they will have to pick it up anyways and that would probably open up the market for him more and increase the expected return value they would receive for him

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
If the Sox do attempt to trade Peavy at the deadline they should really tell teams they'll pick up the buyout. If they don't trade him they will have to pick it up anyways and that would probably open up the market for him more and increase the expected return value they would receive for him

You're preaching to the choir...but we're not the ones who make that call.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:38 AM)
I consider a loyal fanbase one that sticks with a team when it is bad, not blindly believes they are always a good team. That's the difference. Just taking time out of our day to post about this team on a message board all the time proves our loyalties.

I agree with this. :headbang