Jorge Soler

Baron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
We are just going to tease ourselves again, I just do not see us with any chance to land him. He is going to the Cubs.

I don't think the Cubs are the guarantee everyone makes them out to be. There will be a lot of teams bidding on him, especially with all the new draft rules. It could be a free for all. I do agree no chance the Sox get him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
At this point, I don't see us spending that much on a position that we don't really need now and actually have a few prospects in.

Huh? Because the Sox have Jared Mitchell & Keenyn Walker who are not even close to sure things, they shouldn't consider a talent who would be a top 5 pick in this year's draft class? If the Sox aren't interested it's because of the prohibitive cost, not they have a few prospects. Besides Soler is at least 3 years away. He will likely begin his career in Low-A ball.

Given the current state of our outfield (Viciedo and De Aza in the long term, Rios for the next few seasons) and the fact we have young OF'ers getting close to MLB like Mitchell, Danks2 (look at his numbers this year folks), and the possible emergence of big talents like Walker and Thompson...I don't see us needing to drop big dollars on this kid. Draft an OF if there's a good one available, sure, but no need to spend 30 mill on this guy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Source indicates that Jorge Soler's agent, Barry Praver, has requested that offers for his client be submitted by Thursday, June 7

Good. Get this thing wrapped up sooner than drag it on.

Translated that he already has been talking to teams.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Given the current state of our outfield (Viciedo and De Aza in the long term, Rios for the next few seasons) and the fact we have young OF'ers getting close to MLB like Mitchell, Danks2 (look at his numbers this year folks), and the possible emergence of big talents like Walker and Thompson...I don't see us needing to drop big dollars on this kid. Draft an OF if there's a good one available, sure, but no need to spend 30 mill on this guy.

Depends on what "Big dollars" are. You don't turn the guy down because of what you have in your OF. But I probably wouldn't pay "Cubs money" for him either.

If Soler's in the $20-25-30 million range, you have to pass.

However, if they could sign him to a similar deal to what Viciedo got (and between $12.5-$17.5 million)....where they control his rights well beyond the first four seasons in the majors (like Cespedes and the A's), then you have to think about it seriously.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Extremely early of course, but Geraldo Concepcion isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=615868

IIRC, he only got good money because of the pending CBA agreement. Most people I trust didn't think he was *that* good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
If Soler's in the $20-25-30 million range, you have to pass.

However, if they could sign him to a similar deal to what Viciedo got (and between $12.5-$17.5 million)....where they control his rights well beyond the first four seasons in the majors (like Cespedes and the A's), then you have to think about it seriously.

This.

It drives me up a wall when people think ~$15 million for a guy like this is risky but spending a smilar amount on a middle 30 something isn't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Concepcion is only supposed to have a fifth starter ceiling anyway.

There was debate about Concepcion's ceiling to be sure, but he did sign for a pretty good sum which makes me think somebody thought of him more than a 5th starter.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
IIRC, he only got good money because of the pending CBA agreement. Most people I trust didn't think he was *that* good.

I believe the new international spending limits kik in on July 1 or so, so Soler can still get in before them. Probably also why they want offers immediately, so that he's under contract before this limits kick in.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)

I have. He's still striking out like crazy and is in his 3rd or 4th year at AAA. He should be hitting it by now.