White Sox Rumor Catch-All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune passes along a video interview with White Sox GM Kenny Williams stating, "There's no sense" in acquiring a marginal upgrade to his rotation. Williams implies that his club will only be interested in adding a front-line pitcher, and that he's willing to look at prospect deals to improve his club in the short-term. Williams is also optimistic that John Danks, currently on the DL, can return and improve his team's rotation.

Not a rumor, but something worth noting: With the acquisition of Myers, the Sox 40-man roster is full. Any deadline deals the Sox make are going to have to involve shipping out a player on the 40, or DFAing somebody, though I don't see too many DFA candidates on the 40 right now. Maybe Hudson if the deal is for an infielder, and maybe Bruney once he's off the DL.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Not a rumor, but something worth noting: With the acquisition of Myers, the Sox 40-man roster is full. Any deadline deals the Sox make are going to have to involve shipping out a player on the 40, or DFAing somebody, though I don't see too many DFA candidates on the 40 right now. Maybe Hudson if the deal is for an infielder, and maybe Bruney once he's off the DL.

Couldn't they just move Danks to the 60 day DL? Anyway, if they are upgrading, this issue is no big deal.

Edited by Dick Allen

At some point we have to just accept that beckham needs a change of scenery. He has almost 2000 plate appearances at the mlb level and has .245/.311/.380. Not exactly trending upward either.

Just looking around clubs that are sellers there not a ton of 2b that are enticing, but Aaron hill is an interesting name. Certainly has had success(and failure) in the AL and is having a nice bounce back year. Probably wouldn't be a huge upgrade but he's got pop and is reasonably salaried on a team where he's likely not in the long term plans

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
At some point we have to just accept that beckham needs a change of scenery. He has almost 2000 plate appearances at the mlb level and has .245/.311/.380. Not exactly trending upward either.

Just looking around clubs that are sellers there not a ton of 2b that are enticing, but Aaron hill is an interesting name. Certainly has had success(and failure) in the AL and is having a nice bounce back year. Probably wouldn't be a huge upgrade but he's got pop and is reasonably salaried on a team where he's likely not in the long term plans

Unless its a clear upgrade, staying the course makes the most sense. Change just to change isn't very wise with a first place team.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
The cubs are fire selling too.

Beckham, a top product, humber, another prospect

To chicago for starling castro. Comes in and plays second.

None of that is close to having any basis in reality.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
None of that is close to having any basis in reality.

Wow just throwing s*** out. No need to take it personal!

Wonder how realistic the hanley ramirez trade would sound before it went down? You would have said the same stupid s***.

Edited by mataipaepae

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
Write just throwing s*** out. No need to take it personal!

Wonder how realistic the hanley ramirez trade would sound before it went down? You would have said the same stupid s***.

Theo would be fired on the spot.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
Wow just throwing s*** out. No need to take it personal!

It wasn't personal. Its not like he called you a f***ing idiot or something.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)
The cubs are fire selling too.

Beckham, a top product, humber, another prospect

To chicago for starling castro. Comes in and plays second.

If Beckham has any value at all, I'd trade him and begin the parade of journeymen second basemen. It's not a critical position. There's no way Beckham is going to be a star, so get something for him this winter and bring in Grudzelanik types (I realize he's retired) or Getz fill in types. Let somebody else try to get Beckham to use a smaller bat and become a singles, doubles hitter. I think Beckham's another Betancourt/Lillibridge type guy who thinks he's a power bat when he's not.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Laurence Holmes raving about Kenny is swindling teams this year.

We really did rip off the Astros and Red Sox when you think about it...

We definitely ripped off Boston. Houston...idk. Who is that PTBNL?

Plus, Myers isn't really THAT good. His peripherals are bad for a reliever. I'd honestly rather have him be a starter.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)

Put the Beckham thing to rest. It ain't gonna happen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
If Beckham has any value at all, I'd trade him and begin the parade of journeymen second basemen. It's not a critical position. There's no way Beckham is going to be a star, so get something for him this winter and bring in Grudzelanik types (I realize he's retired) or Getz fill in types. Let somebody else try to get Beckham to use a smaller bat and become a singles, doubles hitter. I think Beckham's another Betancourt/Lillibridge type guy who thinks he's a power bat when he's not.

If any other GM would be willing to take Beckham as part of a trade for a starter, I say go for it. I wouldn't give him up for nothing, but he certainly couldn't be the centerpiece of any deal. His defense is great, but I believe he's had ample time to develop into the hitter everyone thought he could be. If Beckham is traded (and I don't see that happening), plugging a Hudson/Lillibridge type guy would be okay. Again, that's only if trading Beckham brings back something of value.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
Laurence Holmes raving about Kenny is swindling teams this year.

We really did rip off the Astros and Red Sox when you think about it...

BoSox, Yes, Astros, No. We gave up two pretty good prospects with a third, unknown PTBNL. No way anyone can evaluate this trade yet.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
BoSox, Yes, Astros, No. We gave up two pretty good prospects with a third, unknown PTBNL. No way anyone can evaluate this trade yet.

Bosox was a complete fleece but they needed to get him out of there with Middlebrooks and the drama with Valentine. Myers it depends how he performs but we did not give up two pretty good prospects we gave up career minor leaguers guys I'd rate below Axelrod. I have no idea who the PTBNL is so that could change my thoughts on the trade but right now it stands as getting a bullpen arm for mostly nothing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)

That's the thing though, it's pretty hard to find a second baseman who can hit, so if you can find one of them it's a huge value. I think you have to hold onto the hope that he can recapture his rookie form. And that potential is more likely/valuable than what a journeyman provides.

Plus, the dude still has two more cheap years. I'm all aboard for trying to develop another second base option in our system somehow, but this is another Zach Stewart situation. Even if the guy isn't very good, he has value and you can't just cut him outright.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)

Okay, you need to stop with messing up with prospects, because we gave up garbage spects (okay they have a pulse, but almost everyone thought they barely qualify as prospects), and yea we don't know the 3rd but I bet it isn't anything to special. I'll eat crow if it is, but we still got a ton amount of salary relief.

Edited by bigruss22